Joint ESA claim help?

coachvee
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5031 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, would greatly appreciate some insight on the complicated thing known as ESA! My fiance and I have had some dealings with them before - but the situation is in the reverse this time as I am the one ready to work and he is the one that's not able to.

He's had trouble with his knee for years and it has given him trouble with his back. His back cracked at work late on Friday, and now he can barely walk (he needs to use a cane, which we found from years ago!). He will need to have surgery ASAP, but we don't know when that will be since he hasn't even seen the doctor for a referral yet. So we need to call up and start a new ESA claim tomorrow, but I have a few questions.

1. It will have to be a joint claim but how will my half of the claim work? Will it be like JSA where I sign? Will I not have to sign? Does anyone know how this works?

2. Anyone happen to know how quickly they turn around new claims? (My ESA claim was for hypomania and I don't remember much about back then...)

3. I remember back when I was on ESA that I had to attend back to work-type interviews. I'm worried about this as my partner can barely walk down the stairs, into the garden etc, much less out - since I can't drive and we would use public transport. I'm sure we could get a taxi for a medical assessment, since they refund if a taxi is the only option - but these interviews, they would really be pointless - He won't be able to work AT ALL until after his surgery, after all! Will he be made exempt from these things?

Thanks very much for any insight you can offer. We'll ask when we ring tomorrow, but as you all know, you tend to get 5 different answers from 5 different people, would rather ask people with real experience of it!

Once you send in sick lines you will get ESA on the next payment day instead of Jobseekers but if you stay on it long enough you will get a questionaire from Atos and then all hell breaks loose.

Scottish Gas told me to live on TV dinners. I told them to go and recline under a bus. 8)

Once you send in sick lines you will get ESA on the next payment day instead of Jobseekers but if you stay on it long enough you will get a questionaire from Atos and then all hell breaks loose.

I'm not actually on Jobseekers now, as I haven't worked for a long time, so my contribution-based ran out some time ago - and obviously you can't get income based when one of you is working. So it'll be a totally new claim.

And heh, yeah, been there with Atos. Am slightly disturbed to hear how sick some people are when they get failed on the medical. I mean, are they actually working, or what? I failed my medical, I had a hypomanic episode and was very anxious when going out afterwards (when on my medication I fell asleep on a bus and ended up very lost, ended up really nervous going out alone after that) - had a medical, failed it (naturally - even though the assessor suggested I see the doctor when I made some comments about feeling my life was pointless etc), I did appeal but it took so long and it felt like it put me several steps backward mentally. I felt a bit better in myself before the appeal, so I figured I would go onto my partner's Jobseekers claim instead. They took so long to add me to it that I never signed on, seeing as he found work before that happened!

Anyway, my partner can barely move, he is only 30 and needs to use a cane to get around after his back cracked. I know for a fact the evidence would get past an appeal but it's so pathetic it has to get to that stage. I am in disbelief that Atos are actually PAID MONEY for their "service" ...

Hi all, would greatly appreciate some insight on the complicated thing known as ESA! My fiance and I have had some dealings with them before - but the situation is in the reverse this time as I am the one ready to work and he is the one that's not able to.

He's had trouble with his knee for years and it has given him trouble with his back. His back cracked at work late on Friday, and now he can barely walk (he needs to use a cane, which we found from years ago!). He will need to have surgery ASAP, but we don't know when that will be since he hasn't even seen the doctor for a referral yet. So we need to call up and start a new ESA claim tomorrow, but I have a few questions.

1. It will have to be a joint claim but how will my half of the claim work? Will it be like JSA where I sign? Will I not have to sign? Does anyone know how this works?

Have a look at the application form - I think you'll find that you need to be put on the form as well.
Still waiting for your blank ESA50 form to arrive? they can be downloaded from the web

2. Anyone happen to know how quickly they turn around new claims? (My ESA claim was for hypomania and I don't remember much about back then...)

I'm guessing it'll take 2-3 weeks, benefits are paid in arrears because the claimant is expected to have received some pay (to cover a couple of weeks at least) when they left work

3. I remember back when I was on ESA that I had to attend back to work-type interviews. I'm worried about this as my partner can barely walk down the stairs, into the garden etc, much less out - since I can't drive and we would use public transport. I'm sure we could get a taxi for a medical assessment, since they refund if a taxi is the only option - but these interviews, they would really be pointless - He won't be able to work AT ALL until after his surgery, after all! Will he be made exempt from these things?

So long as he keeps sending in the (un)well notes they shouldn't require any attendance for WFIs etc.

Thanks very much for any insight you can offer. We'll ask when we ring tomorrow, but as you all know, you tend to get 5 different answers from 5 different people, would rather ask people with real experience of it!

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.