can clamping firms deny you access to your belongings?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4209 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

my car was towed away & impounded froma 'private' road forecourt. The total cost was over £400 and rising, which was more than car's value. I had my work equipment, shopping and other posseslons in the boot. They told me i could not get access for my possesions untill i paid the extortionist fine. Can they do this? The car causf the 'offènce', not My possesions in it. So is this theft? Or blackmail to get victims to pay up like i did, who would take their belongings and leave the car. Where does the law stand on this. Btw i did not see the private road signs till a chap from the clamping firm showed me when i came for my car. They had many other victims that day

Hello and Welcome,

I'll move this thread to the appropriate Forum.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

I would say because of the complete lack of any form of action that the law agrees fully with what they are doing.

You can't take any action against them yourself. They have been to court so many times and it's gone against them but they just ignore anything the courts say and won't pay you back.

There is no point in sending in bailiffs as they can't take tools of the trade and there is nothing else to take. Even if the amount the courts ordered them to pay back was over £750 which would allow a bankruptcy petition against them, that wouldn't worry them either. They would just close down and start up again under a new name.

They are completely free to do exactly what they like and are further outside the law than a politician in Westminster.

Coniff, the original post reads as if it was cowboy clampers operating on private land and not bailiffs. As tools of trade were in the vehicle preventing the OP from working and earning money, the OP may be able to claim compensation. If this is the case the OP can take them to court and claim other damages etc.

The question is whether the clampers are obliged to allow you access to remove your persoal belongings from the vehicle? I would think that they are obliged to allow you access to remove personal belongings. For example you may be carrying medication in the glove box or you housekeys coudl eb in the vehicle along with money, cards etc.

i would agree that they are obliged. The police allow the removal of all effects from a car when they seize it due to non insurance etc; the bit is getting the private companies to allow you.

Taking them to court is not worth the bother as even if the judgement goes against them, which it has in dozens of cases, they still won't pay up and there is nothing the courts can do to make them.

Can't you go to Court for an injunction requiring them to deliver it all up - and then, when they don't comply, commit them to prison?

You're having a laugh Gancho.

This country is all about nailing the common man.

They couldnt give a rats arse about somebody being wronged.

The law will always protect the criminal, not the victim.

And all the politicians will say is....'the law is adequate'.

Total crap.

jed

Coniff, the original post reads as if it was cowboy clampers operating on private land and not bailiffs. As tools of trade were in the vehicle preventing the OP from working and earning money, the OP may be able to claim compensation. If this is the case the OP can take them to court and claim other damages etc.

The question is whether the clampers are obliged to allow you access to remove your persoal belongings from the vehicle? I would think that they are obliged to allow you access to remove personal belongings. For example you may be carrying medication in the glove box or you housekeys coudl eb in the vehicle along with money, cards etc.

100 % CORRECT

NOW DO YOU HAVE ANY INVOICE ON THIS CLAMPING

DID THE CLAMPER GIVE HIS NAME

the firm's car pound in enfield the staff said i cld not get my belongings. If they were wrong, under what law or regulation should i have brought up? That the police or local authorities allow u remove your belongings?

Finally how long are they allowed to keep the vehicle before they can sell or dispose it?

the firm's car pound in enfield the staff said i cld not get my belongings. If they were wrong, under what law or regulation should i have brought up? That the police or local authorities allow u remove your belongings?

Finally how long are they allowed to keep the vehicle before they can sell or dispose it?