Offence with foreign car

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4998 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, i have been living in the uk for over 3 years now and had a car with a German license plate for the whole time. Since a year I have a new car and since we live in a street with no parking opportunity I have collected quite a few tickets on the license plate. Recently I was stopped at Manchester airport and got my details taken of me after which I received all the tickets on the postal way. The car is owned and registered on my mum which I told the police. I also said that she just recently bought it (right) and the tickets were incurred by somebody else (wrong).

I am now in a situation where I wonder what the best course of action is to avoid the considerable charge?

I guess i was a bit naive thinking I would get away with it and thought about registering the car in the UK - I don't want to pay all the past tickets though!

Thanks

Marvin

The car has been in the UK for roughly two years - insurance etc has been paid in Germany. Any suggestions what to do now?

Thanks in advance!

The car has been in Germany every now and then - checked with the insurance company and they were happy with it.

I was stopped at the airport by the police who took my details. The council then sent me the fines.

Rgds

Marvin

Hi, i have been living in the uk for over 3 years now and had a car with a German license plate for the whole time. Since a year I have a new car and since we live in a street with no parking opportunity I have collected quite a few tickets on the license plate. Recently I was stopped at Manchester airport and got my details taken of me after which I received all the tickets on the postal way. The car is owned and registered on my mum which I told the police. I also said that she just recently bought it (right) and the tickets were incurred by somebody else (wrong).

I am now in a situation where I wonder what the best course of action is to avoid the considerable charge?

I guess i was a bit naive thinking I would get away with it and thought about registering the car in the UK - I don't want to pay all the past tickets though!

Thanks

Marvin

Who stopped you?.

Parking is a civil matter but Manchester police have until very recently been stopping motorists for unpaid tickets the info being fed into the ANPR by the councils debt collectors . They have been reminded that this is unlawful & are supposed to have stopped

The police had justified their actions by claiming those who don't pay parking tickets etc are more likely to be involved in crime so are fair targets for stop & search. Why they should then contact the debt collectors & hold you there until they arrive who then force you to pay is anyone's guess:rolleyes:

Sorry guys but this was an uninsured driver and I for one am glad that he's going to have to face the consequences.

What would have happened if he'd hit one of our cars?

We'd have been out of pocket.

I thought this forum existed to help motorists who have been wrongly targeted. Not people who just want to ignore this country's law and then find a way to wheedle out of their responsibilities once they are caught.

Throw the book at people like this is what I say.

If I ihave to pay Tax, insurance and MOT every year what makes these numpties think they can take the p**s and then expect US to provide them with a get out clause. :mad:

The car has been in Germany every now and then - checked with the insurance company and they were happy with it.

Sorry guys but this was an uninsured driver and I for one am glad that he's going to have to face the consequences.

What would have happened if he'd hit one of our cars?

We'd have been out of pocket.

I thought this forum existed to help motorists who have been wrongly targeted. Not people who just want to ignore this country's law and then find a way to wheedle out of their responsibilities once they are caught.

Throw the book at people like this is what I say.

If I ihave to pay Tax, insurance and MOT every year what makes these numpties think they can take the p**s and then expect US to provide them with a get out clause. :mad:

Why was he uninsured soforene? Unless you are suggesting ML84 is lying, he has already stated his German insurance is valid?

he says he visits germany so does that mean he works here and the car is mainly here if that is the case then the car should be uk registered with tax mot if older than 3 yrs sounds like he has so far got off lightly but i have no doubts the DVLA will catch up

Finally if you succeed with your claim please consider a donation to consumer action group as those donations keep this site alive.

R.I.P BOB aka ROOSTER-UK you have always been a Gent on these boards and you will be remembered for that.

This is my second car here and i am studying here - thus spending a considerate amount of time in Germany at my parents. According to my german insurance I am insured for as long as I am not in the UK for more then 6 consecutive months. German insurance is consideably cheaper, why wouldn't I make use of that?

The total amount owed is around 1,000 GBP, none of the offences was major, we are talking about parking tickets in a street where there is literally NO parking possibility.

The interesting thing is that the manchester police stopped me (with machine guns and everything!) while the offences took place somewhere else!

Rgds

ML

Within the EU we are working towards the situation where any motoring offence (including parking) will be passed between countries and served as though the offender were resident in the country where the offence happened. The databases of registered keepers are supposed to be cooperating already, so the British should be able to find out when the car was registered to your mother.

I wonder whether you would feel that a British car that had broken the law in Germany over a similar time frame should not have to pay the parking fines?

Apart from anything else, you are advertising that you are German every time you use that car, what sort of impression are you giving of the German people when you break the law here on a regular basis, in a car that shouts "look at me, I am German"?

One of the things I was taught by my parents before we moved to the UK was that when living in a foreign country you remember your manners, obey the law, and remember that people will judge your nation by the impression you give.

1st lets get this straight parking where you should not is NOT an offence, neither is it a 'crime' its a civil matter. You DO NOT acquire a criminal record if you receive a parking ticket. The police should take no part in there enforcement & if they do they are breaking the law & if they pass details onto the debt collectors they are again breaking the law namely the DPA. Furthermore its known that Manchester council have recently cautioned the debt collectors not to provide the police with such info. Just imagine is as was threatened by Blair you can be stopped from travelling abroad if you have outstanding CCJ's. Some in government have even suggested that this should also include those with defaults

This is the problem with letting private organisations use systems such as ANPR The information bleeds into other areas & they, the police in this instant, think they have right to use it.

Incidentally its alleged that the firm which help 'sponsor' the GMP website is the very firm which provides the info that triggers the stop

Edited by JonCris

Visiting is not quite the same as living in the EU for 3 years, try ringing the AA and asking for a quote and give your address as The High street, Warsaw.

Though it wasn't Warsaw I did when working abroad for a year in Milan & like the OP I had 2 addresses 1 here 1 there. The insurer was Italian

Edited by JonCris

Though it wasn't Warsaw I did when working abroad for a year in Milan & like the OP I had 2 addresses 1 here 1 there. The insurer was Italian

Exactly you were not insured here as you were in Milan so had italian insurance, the OP is not living in Germany so he should be insured here.

Insurance cover is EU wide plus a handful of other countries. the extent of the cover may or may not be different when in other countries depending on the terms. there is no 'should' about it, its down to his policy but he will have the minimum required by the regs in the other countries e.g fully comp here may only by TPFT in EU countries - but the cover will be there. its just a question of what his policy says and is he happy that if its only TPFT here that that level of cover is enough for his needs. many people only insure TPTF anyway. the Police and councils don't like foreign plates as it makes getting cash out of the RK harder but as long as the RK obeys the rules re time in the UK and abroad not exceeding those stipulated thats tough luck on the councils and the police isn't it.

Exactly you were not insured here as you were in Milan so had italian insurance, the OP is not living in Germany so he should be insured here.

Your missing the point I drove an Italian insured vehicle between both countries & stayed in both for equal periods per annum

Insurance cover is EU wide plus a handful of other countries. the extent of the cover may or may not be different when in other countries depending on the terms. there is no 'should' about it, its down to his policy but he will have the minimum required by the regs in the other countries e.g fully comp here may only by TPFT in EU countries - but the cover will be there. its just a question of what his policy says and is he happy that if its only TPFT here that that level of cover is enough for his needs. many people only insure TPTF anyway. the Police and councils don't like foreign plates as it makes getting cash out of the RK harder but as long as the RK obeys the rules re time in the UK and abroad not exceeding those stipulated thats tough luck on the councils and the police isn't it.

Quite & the police should not be actively & directly involving themselves in the collection of civil debt no matter how incurred

Its not tough luck because he is breaking the law because a) he is resident in the uk and b) he had had the car in the uk for more than 6 months in a 12 month period. He is therefore not exempt from the vehicle licence and registration requirements. I doubt very much if you would consider it tough luck if you got hit by a foreign plated vehicle that was untraceable due to ignoring the law, vehicles are registered for a reason.