Problem with fellow employee???

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5003 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

One of my fellow employee's is causing no end of grief for us all.

He is constantly late for his shifts, causing whoever he takes over for to be late in getting away. He does no work when he is on shift, and cuts corners.

We now have a new manager who has taken this guy's problems very seriously to the point a letter of concern has been sent to him and he now faces a disciplinary next week.

I was in at work tonight and I specifically asked him not to be late tomorrow as I have plans, and even if he is his usual 10 minutes late it will cause problems for my day.

My manager has just told me via text that he was not happy about what I said to him and he is thinking on taking it further and he may put a grievance in against me for saying that to him!!!!!

He may think that it is ok for him to be late every shift as he says he makes it up at the end of the shift, and his attitude is that he is doing the company a favour by working for them.

Yes, he does have his priorities all wrong and thinks the world is against him.

Should I just leave it as it is, and if he does make a complaint hope it isnt taken seriously, or if he is late AGAIN tomorrow, should I make a grievance against him.

Sorry for the rant, but this has been playing on my mind for a few weeks now, and after all the stress Ive had to deal with myself this year, I had to have a moan about it.

Get in there with a grievance first. Complain that his lateness and lack of work once there is causing added work and severely inconveniencing you by having to stay and wait for him to turn up. Management will then be forced to look at the attendance and work rate in order to deal with your grievance.

As far as him putting in a grievance, let him go ahead. Yours would seem to be legitimate - his is frivolous and cannot be taken seriously - all you have attempted to do is to have a quiet word off the record, but since he has seen fit to complain, rather than take what you said on board, bring it on!

• Haha 1

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

I know has had several warnings about his persistant poor time keeping, but he doesnt seem to care. He reckons he is untouchable.

I will definitely talk to my manager tomorrow about him if he is late tomorrow, and see how I go about raising a grievance as last week he was so late he caused me to have to stay behind almost 30 minutes.

His excuse was that he slept in, he starts at midday, and stays locally as well(less than a 5 minute walk)

You have an absolute right to request that something is done about it. If they fail, then that would be a green light for you to be equally late or claim overtime for every occasion that you are forced to stay behind.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Ok the person was late again today, after I specifically asked him not to be. It was only 10 minutes, but that 10 minutes has now knocked me all wrong, and I wont get paid for that extra 10 minutes either.

So Official Grievance letter is now getting written on advice of my manager so he can take it further.

My poor OH has just had to listen to me rant and rave for the last 20 minutes, so better make him a cuppa to say sorry!!

Hi there.

I feel your pain having suffered with an idiot of a colleague for far too long.

All I would say is if you're decided on going down the official route of a grievance, try and have some solid proof behind you. It may even be worth discreetly canvassing any colleagues you feel could be supportive. See if anyone else is that hacked off that they will give voice.

Above all else, make sure that any comments you make to the 'higher beings' don't come across as being some kind of personal issue with the person in question.

It sounds good that your manager is behind you. But surely he/she would have been well aware of the lateness issue, and you have to ask why haven't they done anything about it?

I wish you a heap of good luck. Please report back on how you get on.

Hi there.

I feel your pain having suffered with an idiot of a colleague for far too long.

All I would say is if you're decided on going down the official route of a grievance, try and have some solid proof behind you. It may even be worth discreetly canvassing any colleagues you feel could be supportive. See if anyone else is that hacked off that they will give voice.

Above all else, make sure that any comments you make to the 'higher beings' don't come across as being some kind of personal issue with the person in question.

It sounds good that your manager is behind you. But surely he/she would have been well aware of the lateness issue, and you have to ask why haven't they done anything about it?

I wish you a heap of good luck. Please report back on how you get on.

We have just gotten a new manager, the other last 2 didnt seem to bother about it, but this new one is taking none of the brown stuff from him. They kept talking to him about his punctuality but did nothing about it.

I know he has a disciplinary this week as the manager told me yesterday morning, and wants me to file a grievance for the Area manager.

Letter is written waiting for me to hand it in tomorrow (thanks to HB for reading it over for me) and now its a waiting game.

OK just spoken to my manager and the letter is perfect and on its way to the Area Manager who has now 'invited' the other person for a disciplinary meeting on Thursday.

When the person was late on Saturday, I will admit I did have a few choice works to say to him, and now he wants me to apologise to him!!!!!

The manager has laughed at his response though, and has told me that since I wont see the other person for 3 weeks since I go on holiday on Friday, I just have to leave it til the outcome of the meeting.

I cant believe the gall of the guy! Things just get better and better when he comes to digging a big hole for himself, as he was also 30 minutes late on Sunday opening up the shop!

Edited by mazbck
spelling

Poor sensitive soul!

Shame he doesn't appear to treat other people with the same consideration which he clearly believes that he is entitled to....

DONATE HERE

I know, he must have all the problems of the world on his shoulders!!!

I was over in the shop tonight getting some things, and the supervisor on tonight couldnt believe the carry on!!!

Never mind, in 4 days Im off on holidays for a fortnight and I intend to relax and enjoy myself knowing I dont have to work :D

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE

Just back from holidays and thats the first week in!!

Now this is where it gets interesting, as the first day of my holidays, I gets a text, just as the OH and I were stopped for lunch and away to see Greystoke Manor, and the boss had texted me to say that the person was late and they came in and handed in there notice, so the boss told him to go home there, as due to him being 20 mins late.

I then gets a text from daughter to say she had been offered extra hours!

So a fantastic start to the holidays apart from 4 days of torrential rain :(

This person must have reasons for being so consistently late.

I am a bit taken aback by the lack of compassion for him. Because he 'seems not to care' doesn't mean that he doesn't. Maybe he has a medical reason.

There was no reasons for him being late at all, trust me when I say that. He lives less than a 5 minute walk from work( I know as he stays beside me), to be 10-15 minutes late for a shift that starts at 12 noon and him to say he slept in, come on now!

If he did have a medical reason, then he should have told the managers, and they could have re-arranged his shifts so that he wouldnt be.

Doesnt matter anymore as he is no longer in employment of the company.

This person must have reasons for being so consistently late.

I am a bit taken aback by the lack of compassion for him. Because he 'seems not to care' doesn't mean that he doesn't. Maybe he has a medical reason.

He had loads of reasons, selfishness being the number one.

Deal with it as soon as you can. Since your axiety towards the situation will stress you and may affect your health. Check this site. It talks about dealing with bad coemployees and other frustrations at work. I happened to run through this site and I find it fun to read since I can relate also on some of the situations sited. I think you can also share your stories and get an experts advice.

Here's the URL: http://exfudzworkfrustrations.blogspot.com/