Redletter

Final Demand for council "repair" bill! HELP!

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3664 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Im sorry if Im in the wrong place with this I tend to get a little lost!

I have received a "Final Demand" from the council for the alleged "repair" to the front door of my old council flat.

I have recently (7th June) had the tenancy assigned to my brother who is now the legal tenant. As such I have now moved out.

However the "bill" is dated the 8th June (the day after I left!)

The damage was caused by my brother who locked himself out new years eve last year and in his drunken wisdom broke in having lost his keys! I was staying elsewhere for the holidays.

My brother phoned the council. They insisted on an "emergency repair" being carried out despite his objection. He pointed out that the door had deadbolts and could therefore be secured from inside.

They have billed ME in my name not my brother over £80 for this so called repair.

I have raised a complaint stating that I did not ask for the repair (bearing in mind i was the tenant not my brother) and that the standard of workmanship was very poor and certainly not worthy of the fee!

Kier (who carried out the repair) have "investigated" the repair and do not uphold the complaint (well surprise surprise its them who did the "repair"!!

1) I was the tenant they had no right to deal with my brother and initiate the repair.

2) I did not instruct them to carry out the repair or agree to pay for it.

3) I dont even live there but the threatogram is addressed to me!

Can they obtain a CCJ without my knowledge and in my abscence?

Can I do anything about the fact that they took instruction from my brother when he was not the tenant?

PLEASE HELP!:???:

Redletter

'I believe the struggle for financial freedom is unfair - I believe the only ones who disagree are millionaires!'

Can someone PLEASE help with this.

I have just received a letter from a DCA called Moorcroft "Notice of Possible Litigation" claiming to be collecting on behalf of Leeds City Council.

As I have already written to the council to:

(a) Complain that the workmanship was pathetic and not worth the price.

(b) Complain that I did not request the repair and that they should not have been dealing with my brother.

© Informed them my brother will pay the fee weekly in addittion to his rent.

I would be of the opinion that the debt is in dispute and should therefore have not been passed to the DCA.

Is this covered by CCA?

What do I do next?

Thanks anyone?

Redletter

'I believe the struggle for financial freedom is unfair - I believe the only ones who disagree are millionaires!'

Have you had a read of the tenancy regarding the property about damage. In my case if not here the council would do an emergency repair and bill later to the tenant. If I were you knowing it was your brother I would pay the bill and get the money back from him. If he refused sue him for the money in small claims court. I would have thought nag your brother rather than get ccj, they could apply for one.

I think your beef as they say should be with your brother.