NEXT breaking distance selling regs.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5032 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The lioophole is of course, if they offer 'free' delivery. Of course it wasn;t fee, but inclusive - but by doing this the price of the goods is ramped up. Meaning users who do not assert their right to return, pay a higher price. They've not thought this through.

I'm not getting the 'free' bit buzby.

If a company has a product for £1 and £1 delivery, but charges £2 for the item and says it's free delivery, when you return it you get £2 back not £1, or am I missing something?

i see that, it was buzbys bit about a loophole that interested me.

A spokesman for Next said: ''During the last three years, Next has not offered a refund of the delivery charge.

"This was in line with our interpretation of the Distance Selling Directive.

Seems that's how they wanted to interpret it, it's in plain enough language, I saw that delivery postage had to be refunded the first time I read it.

Edited by Conniff

I'm not getting the 'free' bit buzby.

If a company has a product for £1 and £1 delivery, but charges £2 for the item and says it's free delivery, when you return it you get £2 back not £1, or am I missing something?

The point is that for all the other purchasers who bought the same item but kept it, paid more that they should have done simply to support the 'free shipping'. A bit like an extension to these 'VAT free - buy now!' claims. The VAT is always there and still has to be paid, and inevitably bu the buyer, but he's not aware of it.

How curious, that the BBC article correctly reports that

There is no obligation for retailers to offer free returns.
while they fail to point out that

The consumer shall not be under any duty to deliver the goods except at his own premises ....
8)