Faulty car from Trade Sales - what is legal position?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5029 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hubby paid for a 52 plate Daewoo Leganza from a local trade sales place - they supplied it with a full and brand new MOT but no tax. This wasn't a problem as we were happy to tax it ourselves (it was cheap for a 52 plate car - at only £700) but when hubby went to collect the car yesterday he discovered that the oil warning light kept flicking on whilst it was running, and the engine was making a rattling noise, despite it having plenty of oil in it.

He's left it with the dealers and asked them to check it out and find out whats wrong with it - he expects it either fixed or our money refunded.

Is this our right under the law? I mean, given that we paid such a small sum for it and they've already MOT'd it, could they refuse to pay for any further work? And could they refuse to refund the money? Given that the car may well need some work? Its driveable but I know you're not supposed to drive a car with the oil warning light on! Am really hoping its something simple . . .

Also whats the position with the tax? I don't want to pay out for tax unless I know we're keeping it but as we completed the documentation yesterday is it now fully in our name or would that take a few days to go through (ie if its not in our name how could we SORN it?) And is it legal to be kept on the dealers' premises without tax?

This is all just really stressful!!!

They're a second hand car dealer not an auction. They call themselves "XXXXXXX Trade Sales" . . . (not giving any names here just yet :p)

Wasn't sure if Trade Sales and Dealers were a different thing.

A trade sale is a sale between traders. It matters not what the company is called, if you are not a trader that bought the car for resale, then you are a consumer and the protection of the consumer regulations apply.

Hubby doesn't want to reject it yet and has agreed to the dealers taking it to the garage to be looked at. They were supposed to be looking at it today but we've not heard from them so will be ringing them tommorrow I suppose.

My main concern is we are car-less and living in an rural area, plus I'm heavily pregnant! We can't afford to be off the road for long and if the dealer refuses a refund we will not be able to afford to buy another car . . .