Problem with bt please help!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5038 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, ive never posted on here before so apologies if i waffle on. Heres my problem in detail:

I had a business which i closed down in Feb of this year. Bt were my broadband providers, i had a bt phone line but the calls were through xln telecom. I received a sales call in October 2009 from bt offering cheaper calls and broadband if i brought my calls over to them. It sounded good so i accepted. I was told that they would take care of everything and there would be no hassle for myself. A week or so later i received a letter from xln saying that if i moved my calls back to bt i would incure a heavy cancellation charge as i was in a contract with them. I could not be bothered with the messing about so i called bt to cancel the whole order, this was within the stated cooling off period, i was told that it had all been cancelled and everything would just stay as it was. A few days later i got a phone call from xln sayin that bt had requested to move my calls back to them even tho i had cancelled the order. I immediatley called bt and they apologised, sayin they did have a record of my request to cancel but for some reason it had not been processed. I was assured that this time it had been done and my line was not being transferred. Not long after this i noticed i could not make outgoing calls and my steamline machine was not working, i called bt to see what the problem was and was told that the new package i had been put on required me to dial 9 before calling out. I was furious that after 2 phone calls to cancel they had still gone ahead with the transfer! I then had to call xln to put everything back to normal. (I had to wait 7 days for it to be transferred back and manage without the sreamline machine until it was sorted.) Again bt apologised for their mistake and i thought that was the end of it. Then in late november i received a bill from bt for approx £350 for cancelling the contract after the line had been transferred, i called them and was told to ignore it. In December i received a letter from moorcroft debt collection agency demanding the money, i also ignored this as i thought bt had sorted it. I then received a phone call from moorcroft saying i had to pay immediately or i would be taken to court. Again i called bt and yet again they apologised for their mistake and i heard nothin more from them or from moorcroft. I just continued to pay by direct debit for my line rental and broadband with bt. Then in February this year i was closing down the business so called bt to cancel the phone line and the broadband, i received a bill for £322 for cancellation charges. I called them to see what this was all about and was told that in october i entered into a 24 month contract and so had to pay untill the end of it. I wasnt aware of any such contract and thought when i cancelled the order for the new package in october my broadband would also just stay as it was before. I put in a complaint, they called me and said they had a tape of me verbally agreeing to the contract (in which case they should also have a tape of me cancelling it a week later!) i asked to be sent a copy of the tape but never received it so just ignored the bill as by this point i had moved out of the property.

On the 27th May i then received a reminder (to my home address) for the £322. I sent an email explaining what had happened and basically said either send me the tape or leave me alone! I did not receive the tape or any response to my email. I then received 2 more reminder letters, one on the 13th june and one on the 20th of june, this time for £229.43, there was still no response to my email or any explanation to why the amount had changed. I ignored both of these and on the 2nd of July i received a letter from bt debt recovery unit saying unless i pay in full they are reffering it to an external debt collecting agency.

I really don't know what to do, ive never left a bill unpaid before and tbh im a little scared!