• Tweets

• The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
    • Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
    • Doubt the uneconomic write off would be registered, unless you agreed to accept write off settlement of the claim. It is just cosmetic damage. All that has happened, is that the car has been looked at and they realised the repair costs are going to exceed the value of the car. If the car is perfectly driveable with no upcoming normal work required to pass next MOT, your current Insurers will continue Insurance and you can accept an amount from third party Insurers to go towards you repairing the scratched bodywork.    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Some Advice Needed...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5029 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am being called constantly by Fredrickson Interntional and Robinson Way. I have no idea what they are calling for because I never answer their calls. Fredrickson are now sending me letters at my home address but they don't say who they're collecting on behalf of, just to constact them. I have several debts which have all changed hands SEVERAL times and it's not the original creditors i.e. banks contacting me. Should I be worried? Where do I stand legally? The debts are all from 2007 and I'm not in a position to pay anything at the moment. I'm too scared to speak to them because of this and tactics they use. One DCA told me once it was theft and I'd go to prison.

Can anyone please advise me what to do? At the moment it's just telephone calls, but how far can they take it? I've heard a lot of different things from people and I just need to know how anxious I should be.

Thanks in advance.

Anxious :eek:

One DCA told me once it was theft and I'd go to prison.

You should have laughed so hard you did a squirt of wee in your Y fronts, it isn't theft, and no, you can't go to prison for being in debt, UNLESS it is for court costs, fines, or council tax.

Your doing the right thing by not talking to them over the phone, the person on the other end, will have been promoted from his first job after leaving school, of flipping burgers, to now being in charge of a telephone with a flip chart to read.

So never EVER ring these fools. Keep EVERYTHING in writing only, and send anything to them via recorded delivery, or at the very least get proof of postage.

Firstly, what are the debts, credit cards (CC) loans, overdraft (OD)

Roughly how much, just a ball park figure to the nearest £10, who were the original creditors (OC) and when was the last contact/payment/acknowledgement made to either the OC or debt collectors (DCA)

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I did wonder if the prison thing was just a scare tactic! I was at work at the time and it frightened me quite a bit as it was the first time I'd struggled to pay debts.

I haven't spoken to any of these companies since 2007 and made a payment toward my loan in 2008 and then stopped because they were harrassing me by phone/post and I didn't eat much that month 'cause they talked me into paying more than I could really afford!

I think the debt in total goes up to about 15-16k and none of them are with original creditors anymore. All debts have been sold on several times as many different companies have contacted me. Only problem is I don't know why the current 2 are chasing me and for who so I don't really want to contact them. I'm waiting until they are statute barred...BUT if I make contact at all does that restart the 6 years again?

Sometimes I answer the calls, mute them and just let the person say "hello, hello" before hanging up so they can't fill my voicemail with stupid messages asking me to call them. I've got no payment plans set up with any of them and it seems like they're just fishing at the moment. Surely any letters should say who they're collecting on behalf of?

Is this gonna get worse or shall I just carry on as I am avoiding the issue? I can't even remember how much I owe, it's been that long now.

Anxious

Ignoring them is possibly not the best policy to use.

But NEVER EVER talk to them over the phone EVER!

Keeping everything in writing gives you a paper trail of evidence, and not a 'he said, she said' scenario.

Which DCA's exactly are doing the chasing, some of them may be the OC's in house DCA, ie Triton=Barclaycard

Blair Oliver & Scot=Halifax/BOS

There is a lot of time to go before these become anywhere near Statute Barred (SB) so there is plenty of time for them to issue you with a CCJ, but lets not worry about that just yet.

Who were the OC's?

Who is chasing now?

How does the debt break down, how much 'roughly' and to whom?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

in that case best thing to do is to write to them and ask them what the hell the debt is for...

letter below send 'signed for' so you have proof they have recieved

Date: xx/xx/xx

Dear Sir/Madam

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.

I would point out that I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to xxxxxxxxx

I am are familiar with the CPUTR 2008 and the Office of Fair Trading's Guidance on debt collection, which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. AND in not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my liability for the debt in question.

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to Trading Standards and also inform the Office Of Fair Trading of your actions.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Thanks for the letter template! I may have to send that when they demand payment by letter, at the moment it's just fishing.

I have been contacted by McKenzie Hall, Fredrickson International and Robinson Way but I have no idea what they are chasing for as they've never spoken to me. I've ignored calls and looked up their number afterwards to see who it is.

Contacting them by post would confirm my address to them which I don't want to do because of the grief it may cause my family.

OCs are Nationwide (13k), Capital One (3.6k), Lloyds (2k)...but I have no idea who has referred the debt and who hasn't and which DCA is now chasing each amount as the letters say nothing about their "customer" and the calls aren't answered.

What are the chances of a CCJ? :(

Edited by anxiousandindebt

When you say the debts are all from 2007, do you mean that you took out these CC's or Loans then or that was the year in which you started having trouble paying them?

I took out various things from 2001-2005/6 then had trouble paying them 2006/2007 so stopped on all of them. But I was paying them without fail every month before. Just wound me up how quickly companies sell your debt on and refuse to deal with you when you explain your situation!

have you cca'ed EVERYONE you are currently paying money too?

if not do so.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thats OK was just trying to gauge the age of the alleged debts, as anything pre 2007 is a lot easier to combat.

Well in your case, I would send the letter D4G posted about No debt Acknowledged, then see what they come back with.

Send it via recorded delivery, and PRINT your name, don't sign it.

Then, I am assuming that the debts are either CC's, ot Loans? And not Overdrafts?

If the first two, you will be able to ask them to provide you with the original credit agreement relating to these accounts, NW, Capone, Lloyds.

This is where they regularly fail to provide, or issue you with utter nonsense, but cross that bridge when you come to it.

First off, send the No Debt Acknowledged letter, to whoever is chasing you, so if there are three DCA's chasing for three separate amounts send each one that letter. Via Recorded delivery.

In the meantime, I would have a dig around and see if you can find any other paperwork relating to these accounts, specifically what your looking for are Default Notices (DN's) and account terminations, doesn't matter if you can't find them, just means shelling out a tenner to each of the creditors to get the information from them.

Also, do not speak to them on the phone, if you accidentally answer it just hang up or tell them everything in writing.

You might like to consider sending them the Telephone Harassment letter also.

you can ignore em...chances of a ccj? possible.. if they dont get in contact with you..however if they cant find you then getting a ccj is really a waste of time to them...you say they dont have your address now..but they have been known to get a ccj using a previous address

pers i'd not send anyone anything.

if they are bouncing around on a debt phishing list, it'll just make them try harder.

ignore.

have you looked at your cra file?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

It's only Fredrickson writing at the moment and I have no idea who they're chasing for so didn't wanna speak to them and drop myself in it. I've been ignoring anything that comes through as they're only attempts to "fish" so far and the calls get ignored. They stop for a while and start up again :(

All of my debts are CCs, loans and a catalogue...I also have an overdraft that I never paid back. Is that gonna be an issue because it's a different type of debt? I have no paperwork as I shredded the lot ages ago because it was cluttering up draws too much.

How many times are they allowed to call you in a day?

Thanks for all the advice so far!

How does a CCJ work? Is it possible they've already sent one to previous address? I have checked CRA and nothing shows up of any concern...none of my debts show up on there as in dispute/not paid etc. except for 1 I think! I thought all the info woul be on there but it isn't!

good then dont worry

they would show as its withing 6yrs since opening the a/c's

keep ignoring them all.

hello guests.........

dx

and they

If there is nothing on your CRF except one default, then agreed, your on a phishing list, so replying to them will only encourage them.

If the phone harassment gets too much, then you can either get your phone number changed and make a complaint to Office of the Telecommunications Ombudsman - Home and/or Ofcom

Guest Cartaphilus

As for them threatening to send you to prison malarky. It's a great pity the person behind that call can't be sent to prison (yet) for making such intimidating remarks which are completely untrue.

The others here will likely have already seen this from the Administration of Justice Act 1970 but am posting it in case there could be something useful (or not) there for you to use against these thugs:

The Administration of Justice Act 1970 S.40 makes it a Criminal Offence for a creditor or a creditor's agent (often a debt collection agency) to make demands (for money), which are aimed at causing 'alarm, distress or humiliation, because of their frequency or publicity or manner'. Equally, a creditor will be committing an offence if they falsely imply that non-payment of the debt will lead to criminal proceedings; or the creditor pretends to be someone they are not e.g. a court official or bailiff. It is also an offence to send a person a document which looks like it has been sent from a court. The Protection from Harassment Act 1997

If you feel you are subject to Debt Collection Harassment then this too could be classed as a criminal offence. Harassment can be verbal or in writing and would include making repeated calls to your workplace or in anti social hours. The Protection from Harassment Act 1997 makes it a Criminal Offence for any person to pursue a course of action "which they know, or ought to know, amounts to harassment of another person".

However, this is not the first nor last time I have seen nor read of such behaviour by a DCA (not by a long stretch plus more insidious methods seen by many before).

Edited by Cartaphilus

sit back ignore

forget them and enjoy your life

dx

and they

It's the weekend, the sun is shining, ignore the fools, no point in letting it ruin a mighty fine weekend, bunch of chancers:roll: