DWP and Tax Credit issues

gdk2711
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5029 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Problem with dwp and child tax credit

The niece has had a child tax bill for £4,200 they say is for an over payment

and today they were told there claim stopped july 1st (dwp) and they owe them £200 for an overpayment

now her boyfriend never attended an appointment with some place called reed employment services

he says it was only one he missed

now the dwp or reed wont give them no money untill the £200 is rpaid

the houseing benefit has been stopped and also the council tax payments

any one help me on this

What benefits were they on and what is the reason on the notification for stopping them?

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

jobseekers and he was with reed (employment for dwp)

They sent them a letter dated 2 july and 5th july saying the claim was stopped on june 9th but they were still getting benefit up till last thur..

And wont give them any money till they pay £400 overpayment

there kids were removed june 2009... and the child tax credits have landed them with a £4.000 bill to repay them..

and her boyfriend made dwp claim and his girlfriend made tax credit claim

but using 2 different surnames for him..

So what reason have they given for terminating his claim? And the reason that they have given - is it correct?

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

I think the reason is..

That he never turned up for 1 appointment so reed (employment for dwp)

said they aint going to pay him..

Until £400 is repaid....

And the claim was stopped in june im at a loss...

i dont understand how they pay them for june then send a letter out in july telling them the claim is stopped....

and the child tax credit want £4,000 off them...

strange

Hi gdk2711,

They can't refuse to pay a benefit until an overpayment is repaid. Tax credit can but not JSA. But in any case they can't reinstate a terminated claim unless via a reconsideration or appeal.

They can make deductions from a new benefit award though. If he did fail to appear at a scheduled appointment then he has not complied with his JSAg so they are entitled to terminate the claim, and he would need to re-apply for JSA. If he did turn up at the appointment or had a good reason for failing to turn up then he should re-claim JSA but also appeal the decision to terminate his last claim. They would still have paid him because JSA is paid in arrears; it also may depend on the timescale that it took Reed to inform them of his failure to attend.

Hi all

they were told there claim stopped july 1st (dwp) and they owe them £200 for an overpayment

And wont give them any money till they pay £400 overpayment

I think the reason is..

That he never turned up for 1 appointment so reed (employment for dwp)

said they aint going to pay him..

Until £400 is repaid....

Is it £200 overpayment as you first stated or is it £400 as you now state? How did the overpayment on JSA occur?

there kids were removed june 2009... and the child tax credits have landed them with a £4.000 bill to repay them..

When the children were removed, did they end the child tax credit claim? Did payments stop at this time? Or did they continue to claim?

and her boyfriend made dwp claim and his girlfriend made tax credit claim

but using 2 different surnames for him..

Can you clarify why you think this is relevant, as I can't see the relevance myself?

Thanks

Ok

They told us they were overpaid £400 from jsa / reed....

And going on what we were told 2 months ago by the niece they are now £400 a month down since they stop the tax credits....

And also she told us they were getting a reduced rate as the had to buy snacks for there kids in care when him and her had contact in a contact centre...

We cant get any truth from them and when i asked have they spoke to tax credit people the subject is change or i get no reply

What will happen if they dont repay the tax credits.....

pps THE KIDS WERE TAKEN JUNE LAST YEAR BY THE WAY

Sorry for late response...

As far as we can gather now they were claiming at 2 seperate address's

THIS HAS NOT BEEN CONFIRMED

We found out today they have a crisis loan of £50 to last them 3 weeks..

This is becoming a lot more suspect...

with them......

Hi, I'm sorry I neglected you gdk2711. The information available at the moment is not sufficeint to offer any real advise to be frank, though I understand you can only tell us what they tell you.

For example:

And also she told us they were getting a reduced rate as the had to buy snacks for there kids in care when him and her had contact in a contact centre...

Tax credit does not pay a parent to provide snacks for their kids who are not under their guardianship. I don't think you are being told the full story here.

In regard to the tax credit, if they don't pay it voluntarily, HMRC will pursue it via the court.

They should speak to a Welfare Rights officer or CAB - but it is imperitive that they are straight with them. If they aren't upfront then they CAB/WR will not be in a position to help.