Power2Contact

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4218 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I suffer from depression, and i am also a student, and then halifax offered me a credit card.

Because of my depression I went on a mad shopping spree, and bought loads of gifts for family which I couldnt really afford.

Till I got to about the limit which was around 850.00

Because of depression, I could not face opening the statements, to see what i had to pay.

Over the months I have paid em a lot of money, through Halifax, Using my Internet Banking.

But the letters keep coming, and I went to the doctors about my depression this morning, and they are threatening sectioning in a month, If i dont improve,

And I am still getting letters

What do i do.

Moved to Debt Collection Forum

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts

Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.

Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

Welcome Jazzydrury,

First things first you really need to stop worrying about Halifax.

You have a debt, that is all it is a debt. You have committed no crime, you need to stop worrying now.

You say you are paying money every month so what are the letters saying, you need to open them and see what they are saying.

You will get all the help you need on here but you need to tell us what the letters say.

We can easily sort this out. There are ways of dealing with this easily but you need to take control and stop worrying.

I have no legal training, any knowledge I have has come from this forum, and my own experiences. Always balance up any advice you get with your own common sense.

As far as Shallowfax are concerned they can take a back seat for now, you will be better off using your time and energy looking after yourself and trying to get yourself on the road to recovery.

I used to bank with shallowfax, had a loan with them, a gold credit card with a 15k limit, was in a very stable well paid job, had a number of other creditors too, all in all, I owed somewhere in the region of 55k, and never had any issue with keeping up with the repayments, until that is I was involved in a near fatal car accident, which left me unable to return to work, saw me out of a job no income except for my pension (I'm only in my thirties) and having a severe brain injury which will stop me from ever being employed again.

I went to the Bank to explain that I would shortly be without a job and unable to pay them back what I owe, and their response, was to offer me another loan.....:mad:

And that my friend is the level of customer care you can expect to get from shallowfax, so now they get a big fat zero.

Sort yourself out, then when your ready to tackle them, with the help of CAG we can pull their trousers down and tan their behinds..

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Guest Cartaphilus
and they are threatening sectioning in a month,
Regarding the Sectioning, I have spoken to a friend of mine who is an ex CPN and also just spoken with Mind to get some advice on this before I replied to this thread. They have suggested you should look into the Mental Act more, what it means for you and the ramifications (of which there are many not just going into hospital BTW but the aftermath of that you may need to consider) perhaps get some advice on this - they have also said that a GP cannot directly 'threaten' if that is what they actually said to you with Sectioning on their own and they must refer the matter to an appointed medical person first, it takes 3 qualified medical practioners to do this and also there must be very good grounds there ... What I am saying is perhaps you should get further advice on the matter. Sectioning, as you may know, can involve you being detained for up to 28 days or for a longer period depending on the part of the Act used to Section. It can be done as an emergency (they show up at your doorstep) or at the discretion of the medical services with which you have engaged, when all other support or help offered hasn't made much difference. A normal GP cannot take it upon themselves to 'threaten' you with this. What I am saying to you here is get more advice before you agree to anything. The parts of the Act you need to take a look at are here:

Mental Health Act 1983

Section 2 & 3. I wish you well on the road to recovery but, like I said, I think you need to get more advice on all this particularly where the Sectioning is concerned as there is a lot more involved here. I am merely mentioning all the above because I am, from the perspective of someone reading on a forum someone posting that a bit concerned your GP has said this to you, particularly where you say 'threatened' and what you need to be aware about. I was also in two minds whether to leave this all well alone as it's often very difficult giving advice to someone on a forum without knowing the full facts but I wanted to reply to the aspect you posted about what your GP has said to you this morning. I am sure your GP had a good reason for suggesting this but I was just concerned with how it may have been presented to you eg 'threatened' so I went to seek further advice on this.

The relevent sections are 2 & 3 in the above link in your circumstances. Also, there is more advice available online including the MIND website and also their helpline.

As to Power2Contact = Powerless2Contact.

Edited by Cartaphilus

YOU and YOUR health are the most important issues here.

Inform them that unless you are given time and space to take care of your health problems, there is absolutely no possibility of making payments now or in the future.

Every journey begins with a single step :):)

Please note: I have no qualifications in this area - my advice is learned from the wonderful members of this Forum. Thanks to you all for your help.

If you have found my post helpful please leave a short message by clicking the star to the left of my profile - Thank You

The only person entitled to your Personal Finance details is a Judge not a DCA

Move all banking activity to another banking group if you have a dispute - your funds can be used to offset debts within the same group.

Be careful with Banking details (card/account numbers) as these can be used to take unauthorised payments.

Sorry to hear about your situation and depression, it can be very debilitating if allowed to fester and entrench itself in your life. I'm with Cartaphilus re the sectioning, it doesn't just happen like you've described.

In regards to the alleged debt, first off you're depressed but this alone will not help you escape the alleged debt, you've accepted the card and spent the money and now you have an alleged debt that needs/should be repaid, burying your head in the sand will not make it go away and neither using the 'I'm suffering from depression' ..

You've already made the first step by joining this forum, now you need to expand on that and help others to understand your debt so as to help advise on how best to tackle it.

When was the Credit Card taken out?

Have the Halifax sent you a default notice?

Has the account thus been terminated and if so do you have a termination letter?

If you have the above two then scan them in removing your personal; details and any associated barcodes that may be on the letter and post them here for others to advise on.

What is your current situation? working but on the sick? not worked for some time? etc etc

At the same time as this, what is the total sum outstanding, what/if payments were you making back to them and if you're unsure then simply open one of the letters you say you've not opened and let us know?

One thing is for sure, doing nothing at this stage of the game is not the done thing, halting excessive charges, maybe contacting Halifax with advice given on this forum is something to look at doing.

So, please, what info on the current state of your Credit Card account do you have?

I reside in Dawlish Warren but am not a rabbit.

Thanks Deb T I thought dealing with it would be the best thing, Jazzy will feel so much better about it when he starts getting some positives from this, so Jazzy follow the advice given. I assure you that things will look brighter once we start dealing with it.:)

I have no legal training, any knowledge I have has come from this forum, and my own experiences. Always balance up any advice you get with your own common sense.