Damselfish

BT Issues when leaving

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3680 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

I left BT for broadband in April and telephone in May. I cleared the final bill. I then started to receive other bills, which included the amount I had cleared and further rental. I have spoken to them again today and they say that they didn't receive the final payment, despite the previous person I spoke to confirming that that had, and that the account was never closed down so the charges have still been being incurred. Those charges will apparently remain! I closed the account, so why do they seem to think it is ok to demand I pay for a service I have not received or wanted?! What can I do about this and the missing payment? Has anybody else had a similar experience?

Thanks

This might sound obvious but did the money leave your account to BT's (assuming you paid by card).

If so, you've got proof that you paid and on what date so I'd start by showing them that or have you done that?

I paid by cheque, but yes I am sending them the proof and that they cashed it. But, that won't solve the other issue of them insisting I pay for a service I cancelled and did not use!! I am planning talking to Ofcom and them a letter to the CEO of BT.

Ofcom does not deal with individual customer complaints. To complain effectively follow their "Code of practice" http://www.btplc.com/Thegroup/RegulatoryandPublicaffairs/Codeofpractice/Consumercodeofpractice/BTResidentialCodeofPractice.pdf ;)

the relevent part

If you are not happy with the service you’re getting

How to make a complaint

We are committed to providing the best communications service in the world. Despite our best efforts, things can go wrong. When they do, we want to know so we can put them right as quickly as possible. Telling us about your complaint through www.bt.com will save you the inconvenience of having to print and post your letter to us, and it is likely that your complaint will also be dealt with sooner.

If you are a residential customer and your complaint is about sales, a bill or general matters, please tell us through the website at www.bt.com or by phoning 0800 800 150 between 8am and 9pm Monday to Friday, 8am and 8pm on Saturdays, and 9am and 6pm on Sundays. If the complaint is about repairing a fault, please phone 0800 800 151. This line is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Our customer service advisers will try to solve the problem while you are still on the line.

If you are a business customer and your complaint is about sales or services, please phone 0800 400 400 between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday, or 8am and 1pm on Saturdays. If your complaint is about a bill, please phone 0845 600 6156 between 8am and 6pm, Monday to Friday or 8am and 1pm on Saturday. If the complaint is about repairing a fault, please phone 0800 800 154. This line is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Our customer service advisers will try to solve the problem while you are still on the line.

If you would like to make a complaint about a BT payphone, please phone 0800 661 610.

If you prefer to complain in writing, please send it to the appropriate address below, making sure you include the account number and telephone number of the service you are complaining about.

For residential customers send to:

Customer Service Manager

BT Customer Correspondence Centre

Providence Row

Durham

DH98 1BT.

For business customers send to:

Customer Service Manager

BT Business Accounts

Providence Row

Durham

DH98 1BT

We will normally respond to your letter by phone but will gladly confirm any particular points in writing, if you prefer.

Our aim is to solve any problem to your complete satisfaction, and our customer service advisers will try to do this as quickly as possible, preferably during your phone call. If this is not possible, we will agree a course of action with you. Complaints about a bill may take longer to investigate. If you are not happy with the way we have handled your complaint, please ask to speak to the manager. He or she will review your complaint and will work with you to try and sort out the problem. If, after contacting the manager, you feel that we have not dealt with your complaint properly, please ask for your complaint to be reviewed by a more senior manager. If you are still not satisfied with how we have dealt with your complaint, it can be reviewed by a Complaint Review Service Manager. We will settle most complaints by this stage but, if this is not the case, we will explain our final position. In some circumstances we may send you a ‘deadlock’ letter. If we send a deadlock letter, this means that there is nothing more we can do.

If you are still not happy

We want to try and deal with any problem without you needing help from others. However, if you are still not happy after following the process explained above and you have received a deadlock letter or it has been eight weeks since your first complaint was made, you can refer your complaint to the Telecommunications Ombudsman, Otelo.

Otelo

Otelo provides an independent service (called ‘alternative dispute resolution’) for customers who are not satisfied with the final outcome of their complaints. Otelo can investigate either when you have received a deadlock letter, or eight weeks after making your complaint, if you are not happy with how we have handled it.

The following kinds of disputes can go to Otelo.

• Problems with most products and services that we offer to residential customers and small businesses.

• Problems with products and services for disabled people, including free directory enquiries and access to the Text Relay service.

If you want to complain to Otelo, you must do so within six months of receiving the ‘deadlock’ letter. If we haven’t sent you a ‘deadlock’ letter, you must contact Otelo within nine months of making your complaint to us.

You can contact Otelo at:

Otelo

PO Box

Warrington

WA4 6WU.

Phone: 0330 440 1614 or 0192 543 0049

Fax: 0330 440 1615 or 0192 543 0059

Textphone: 0845 0511513 or 0330 440 1600

Email: enquiries@otelo.org.uk

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar