Exeter, Devon landlines - premium rate fraud - check your bills

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4995 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

If you are in Exeter or Devon, it is worth checking your landline bills April up to now. There appears to have been fraud occurring at the exchange resulting in landlines being billed with premium rate calls they have not made.

This happened to me despite me having premium rate barring enabled on my line.

I made a report on the following site, whocallsme (without giving my location), and within a few days there were two replies from Exeter and/or Devon suggesting the problem may be wide-spread in Exeter.

09829323380 - who calls me from 09829323380?

One of the replies indicates that BT are aware. Although I guess it is not in their financial interest to highlight this [problem].

I managed to get an immediate refund from Onetel/TalkTalk. This thread refers:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/telecoms-mobile-fixed-internet/265058-premium-rate-call-my.html

@Steve_M,

This will be of interest to you.

Posted by Diddydave on The Scream:

Report your problem to reporter Fran 01392 442218, Exeter Express & Echo, who is now running a story on these calls.

That's great. I added responses at that other site.

I've also spoken to a reporter at the Exeter Express and Echo who has collected two other reports (including one from "DiddyDave") and who expects the story to appear in the next day or two.

The story is in today's Exeter Express and Echo. BT are denying that they are aware of a "widespread" problem - this is because they hang up on people who complain. They are also claiming that PhonePayPlus have received no complaints, which is not true because I've made one.

• 1 month later...

Quick update. TalkTalk have just told me that they alone have one hundred and forty victims in Exeter. The investigation is ongoing. Add in BT, Sky and others and this seems to be quite a major [problem].