Suspended from work, advice needed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4095 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

OK so the story is earlier today I got called into an investigation meeting, after going through all the cryptic stuff on are you aware of company policies and procedures etc, they started showing "evidence" of where I had accessed a colleagues account to apply credits and the like. Now this was a total shock for me as I would never be stupid enough to do anything of the sort, now after a good questioning I was eventually able to prove that I wasn't at work whilst many of these actions had happened and all the notes that were applied to the accounts differed from how I write my notes ie with use of abbreviations etc. But in doing this I admitted that the person who's account it was, once had access to my logins, although this was 2 to 3 years ago. I explained that at the time we were almost encouraged to do this and my own manager had given me their own logins so that I could cover for her when she was off and I had given this person access to enable them to cover for me whilst I was on holiday. Now I can't be sure but it was definately more than 2 yrs ago when I worked with this person possibly even longer, I also confirmed that I had never given anybody else access since this. So I've been suspended from work probably pending disciplinary though I can't recall being given a reason except to say that it was a neutral act.

Firstly I thought the advice for suspension was to only suspend if there was a threat to the business and secondly can anyone give me any advice on how to handle the disciplinary, unfortunately the company I work for does not recognise trade unions and as such am not a member of any, although my husband is, am I able to get representation from him and thirdly how serious is this, is my job at risk from something that not only I allowed but was generally done at that time?

I've given ACAS a ring and they have basically told of my rights regarding Union reps and said the main concern was the timing of all this and how long ago it was. They have basically told me I need to wait to see if disciplinary action is going to be taken before I can do anything. What I still need to know is how do i get a Union rep, do I have to join a union or am I covered under my husbands membership?

Many thanks

I don't know if your OH's union would help you, he would need to check his paperwork or ring them. Not all unions are keen to help as soon as you join, I would check that out too before you join, unless you want to be a member anyway.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Sorry Maca I can't really help further.

I used ACAS many years ago to help with a redundancy payout as my union didn't really have a clue!

I would check your husbands membership or give them a call.

Do you have a contract of employment?

Does it mention anything in that about giving log in access details to other people?

Is the manager still there that openly allowed others to use and access his/her logins? Will they back you up?

We do have a computer privacy policy that does the rounds every couple of years and things have started to get a lot more strict over the last year or two which is why I have never given anyone access since. No idea that that person would keep them and use it for his own personal gain a year down the line.

Unfortunately the manager left a couple of years ago, but I could probably get a couple of other people to confirm that they had access to her logins but I'm not allowed to contact anyone from work?

Well I was going to ask you how well you know the people you work with but that is why you are in this position so not easy to rely on other colleagues.

If you can't contact anyone, what are you supposed to do, just wait for an internal investigation?

Have you been given any timescale?

For a company trying to get serious about computer security seems a bit lax that passwords don't have an expiry time, are you saying the person that did this is using the password/login you told them 2 years ago?

No timescales given I'm afraid Dotty.

Good point Kwaks - we have various different systems that we use and some of them have expirable passwords, however on the system in question this doesn't happen and I've had the same password for over 10 years, I did try changing them once but because I'd had them so long I had to change them back as I kept locking myself out.

Same password for 10 years, so much for company security!

You mentioned earlier that you had proved that you weren't at work when the transactions took place, yet they still suspended you, if you know who had access to your passwords, what has happened to them?