style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3685 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I have just moved into a house and there are a couple of small issues and I don't know what rights I have.

When I viewed the place, the estate agent said all the issues would be fixed. The front door is on lobsided which creates a gap in the corner, allowing slugs into the property and every morning, no matter how much salt I put down, the front room is covered in trails. The cellar has pools of standing water and tools and left over appliances from the previous tenant. 3 electric outlets are coming off the wall when I try plug anything in or take anything out. My built in oven is not working correctly and there's no pipes to put my own oven in.

I contacted the estate agent on Friday about the cellar, the day I signed my agreement, and he said "The owner owes us some money so until he pays me I am reluctant to do anything about the cellar". I emailed him from work yesterday about the other issues. I have had no response so I will call them.

I don't want to be a nuisance from the beginning but surely I have some rights when it comes to the electrics being a bit dodgy? It is a health and safety issue.

What can I do?

If they fail to do anything about the repairs needed then contact the local Council's Environmental Health Team and ask them to inspect the property on health and safety grounds as you are having problems with the electrics. You could also contact the Council's private tenancy team (may be called something else) or Shelter about the problems. Shelter have some info and letter templates on their website for this situation.