Disciplinary Hearing

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5003 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Apologies for coming with what appears to be a minor issue, but I am really panicing over what happens and why I am actually in the situation I am.

05 July 2010 I logged into my companies intranet to enter the holiday application to request holiday later this year.

Unsure how much time left I reviewed the log of taken and booked holidays and noted a holiday from June.

I had taken 6.5 days and selected view to confirm that was correct and that 7 had not been entered which was the case.

It was at this point I saw a cancel option on the route to the back button on the net. I clicked out of interest in teh belief that a note would come up advising that the holidays had been taken and no further action could be taken by myself.

Bizarrely a screen came up in which I placed information requesting the cancellation to see what occurred.

At this point I started flicking through screens to sort work out before returning to the page which had no warning or confirmations showing. I genuinely do not remember the route I took between this and booking further holidays but an hour later my line manager came straight to me whilst talking to a colleague asking why I had cancelled taken holidays.

On the backfoot and very embarrassed I spoke along teh lines that I could not believe the request came to him and that I wondered if taken holidays could be cancelled. I apologised but he spoke of it being a poor judgement call.

Today I have received a letter from HR stating I am to appear at a disciplinary hearing. I am in absolute shock over this and do not understand why I was not taken to one side by the line manager and given a lecture for the situation or given the opportunity to state the circumstances.

It now sounds like this was preconceived and I know that I jumble explanations up and may get myself dug in deeper.

Any advice or past experiences over this welcomed including if it is an over-reaction/ excuse to put me on notice as I work in construction.

Will I be dismissed for fraudulent claiming?

I do not understand and my past history is exemplorary. I even knock of £1 expense charges if my toll fee was partly used for personal reasons as well as work.

Many thanks for reading this far.

Roj47

Thank you and apologies to all as a little direct in the OP.

Appreciate the opportunity to request information and assistance as well as your time and hope that I am able to contribute in as much as I am able.

Unfortunately I get myself stressed too easily with issues where I feel I have done wrong or potentially brought issues to people. Financial meetings and contract closure do not have that effect. Figure that out!

Again, appreciate your assistance and having me on board.

:)

There are many reasons why leave could be cancelled - for instance if you were sick during your leave period, you can claim back your annual leave.

In terms of sending your line manager an email - again that is a standard practice for HR systems; otherwise you could quite easily cancel holiday and defraud the company of time.

Personally, I would go in, say it was a genuine mistake, and that when you tried to cancel the cancellation you actioned, you got confused.

I imagine you may get a warning - I can't see it going any further, as you didn't actually benefit from the action, and their were protocols in place to eradicate the risk.

Thank you guys :)

As someone that prides himself on ethics and so on I am pretty down over it, but only 36 hours to go and appreciate many are in a worse position than I.

Wonder if my presentation that day with the same manager for a senior post will be in jeopody. Nice excuse to say wait a year ;)

Will keep you posted on the news for your records etc..., and thanks again.

You have the right to take anyone in with

You can't take anyone in with you. To the best of my knowledge it has to be a Union Rep or another Employee.

That's correct, normally only employees or union representive can be taken. I would certainly take someone as you need to concentrate on answering and asking questions. What i would look into is your employers disciplinary procedure as your manager asking you a few questions without saying he is investigating what went on and not getting anything down on paper nor getting your agreement or signature on this sounds somewhat to me like 'jumping the gun' . Check out terms and conditions in contract as well. Be prepared for the worst that way your be thinking on your feet rather than being naive and not being prepared. Should be verbal or written warning as you have gained nothing from your actions. Be apologetic but dont let them bully you. Good Luck.

Only just seen this (Honeybee posted a link in the Technical forum I usually haunt), but I think I'm best placed to simply echo what others have said already, to be honest.

You're a human being. You made a mistake. It happens to us all and it certainly isn't a situation that merits a disciplinary interview in my view.

As others have said, your best bet is to play with an absolutely straight bat. Be honest, forthright, admit your error and make it clear that you were confused by the system and you'll be fine. I would be very surprised if any company would be stupid enough to try and take things further once this had been explained to them.

In what I hope is the unlikely event that they do, please repost. By admitting a simple and honest mistake, you put yourself into a very strong position as far as any further action is concerned, and people here are more than happy to advise you further.

Your support and time is much appreciated :) Thank you.

HR is present for note taking and the line manager is conducting the process.

I have a union representative there whom I am aware is only there in a supportive/ note taking capacity rather than to contribute or direct proceedings.

It is true that I have not been trained on the system although it is self explanatory and there is (I believe) a tutorial on the server for assistance.

Will post tomorrow as off to bed to try and sleep and have a clear head in the morning.

Thanks again.

Well.... It is not looking so good and to some extent I am able to understand why.

My union guy has gone from, this is a waste of company time and resources to saying this will come down to how much your manager wants you in the business.

The disciplinary was conducted in line with procedure and protocol and confirmed by the union rep for the note taking.

The manager is saying he can not see or understand how it would happen as such an unlikely chance of it occurring; furthermore the wording I entered is incriminating "to take later in the year". Why did I not enter random text.

I will be given a letter Monday or Tuesday after he has thought about it over the weekend.

Following the meeting I had my personal development revire (PDR) in which the same manager offered assistance and a plan of action to assist my deveopment in my role and held the disciplinary completely separate from this PDR.

Can't read into anything, but least it will carry me through the weekend.

Don't half get myself into these predicaments!

Cheers

Thank you Honeybee for the offer.

I would be virtually impossible to second guess what my manager is thinking and to do so would either raise or destroy hopes for me or others following this in a similar situation.

Really hoping on a final written warning at worst and hope there are no redundancies planned in my department for the next 12-24 months.

More worried that it will be suspension pending further investigations.

Least there was not an instant decision made so at least thought is being applied.

That said; I am more than aware it is faces that fit over anything else and should my job be lost, it would only have been a matter of time anyway. Will try and stay positive.

Dread the letter!

From the companies point of view, one of their employees went into the leave booking system, cancelled the leave that had already been taken, put as a reason "to be taken later in the year" and then did nothing else? I can understand the motivation to have a play, I was a programmer in a past life and come with a strong instinct to try and break any system, but - If I had been messing around like that , I'd have emailed my boss to let him know that the system allows that, telling him to have a look at my leave record.. oh and telling him that I could not find a way to correct it now - or contacted IT, or mentioned it to my supervisor/colleagues/etc. The fact the OP did not tell anyone after doing it makes it look bad for the OP, it looks like a deliberate attempt to get extra leave. I can therefore see why the company is taking it further, 6.5 days leave is a lot of money, no one would be saying it is an over reaction if the OP had used the payroll system to overpay him/herself.

If the OP did mention it to any colleagues before his/her manager found out then calling them as witnesses that there was no dishonest intent could make a big difference, it would prove that the OP did not intend to profit by the weakness of the system that he/she found.

My_Spirit_Soars_Free:

Thank you for your response and that is the situation I find myself.

I had entered the system to book holidays and had come upon the screen unintentionally.

Spur of the moment rather than pre-conceived so no-one else was aware.

I have a history of pushing computer programs to their limits to see what is achieveable/ not however, and had not realised the request was issued to comment to the manager.

Settling for anything except gross misconduct now as although I am not a fan of my company; beggars can not be choosers in this environment,

My_Spirit_Soars_Free:

I have a history of pushing computer programs to their limits to see what is achieveable/ not however, and had not realised the request was issued to comment to the manager.

Is them common knowledge with other employees and mangers. If it is perhaps they are thinking that you did it on purpose.

When I say history I mean with Excel, Access etc... to see what can be done.

Self taught on these (not to programming standard though).

Every application/ program etc.. Has to be proof tested and I need to know what can and can not be completed and how they work on a result level (not programmed level).

Sorry I misunderstood it when you said history.

To me it looks like there has been a glitch in the intranet programmed itself and perhaps someone else was using it before you came on it and left page open inadvertently. Not very secure and surely that is not unusual, that part of the intranet should be password protective, can you do a print out of the holidays that you have booked.

Surly it should have some sort of warning that the pages you looking at were confidential.

It is the intranet that was at fault as it has no warning that you were in an area that you should not be in. Is there some technical that you can speak to about this and how the program was constructed for the company?

Thanks again for the reply.

There definately was no glitch in the software, and only I have access to the program as logged through each step on the net at work.

Full audit trail on actions.

Keep thinking the situation over and over... The final button reads Cancel Holiday.

Trying to reassure myself that if gross misconduct was to be the answer that I would have been told on the day and the manager would not be thinking over it for the weekend unless playing games. I doubt there are any games involved.

Babbling again, so going to head off. Cheers

My_Spirit_Soars_Free:

Thank you for your response and that is the situation I find myself.

I had entered the system to book holidays and had come upon the screen unintentionally.

Spur of the moment rather than pre-conceived so no-one else was aware.

Settling for anything except gross misconduct now as although I am not a fan of my company; beggars can not be choosers in this environment,

The history of trying to break systems is in your favour, it means that your actions are less likely to have been dishonest. Can you get someone to support you in that, or is your manager aware of it?

Ultimately, you need any evidence that you can find that you were not acting dishonestly, just having a play. I would also not mention the fact that you did not realise that the manager would get a copy, as it does not matter that he does if you are just playing, any potential flaw in the system needs to be brought to his attention anyway.

Utterly bizarre... Worked a little with the boss.... Calling me matey and chatted about the football.

No letter through email and no idea if it is written or not. Mind games? Bah!

Given I have had a meeting with minutes taken is it too late to introduce new evidence and how do I broach the subject?

Cheers