style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3691 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

My mum works 16hr a week 2 days a week. she needs to take 2 half days holiday how many days notice should she give for these half day of 4 hrs each day for holiday leave. :rolleyes:

Also if she wants one full day off holiday leave, how many days notice does she have to giver her employer for this please.8-)

There may be a holiday booking policy in her contract of employment which requires holidays to be booked within a certain time of the holiday being required, but if not, then the notice given must be at least twice as long as the period of holiday being booked.

Therefore, if your mum wants to take a holiday on one day, then she should give at least two days notice. The employer is entitled to refuse, but must give your mum notice equivalent to at least the period of holiday being sought - in this case one day. People normally talk about a week's holiday, so the relevant notice peiods would be 2 weeks notice to request and 1 weeks notice to refuse that request.

The employer does have the right to request that holiday is taken at specific times, and can refuse any request, but must allow the employee to take their full entitlement during the holiday year.

Hope that makes sense!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

T

Therefore, if your mum wants to take a holiday on one day, then she should give at least two days notice. The employer is entitled to refuse, but must give your mum notice equivalent to at least the period of holiday being sought - in this case one day. People normally talk about a week's holiday, so the relevant notice peiods would be 2 weeks notice to request and 1 weeks notice to refuse that request.

Thanks Sidewinder, my mum does not a full week only two days a week, does she need to give 4 days notice for 2 days holiday within a week, which will make it her full weeks work. Thanks:cool:

Doh! I knew you were going to ask that as it is complicated by only working part time and on only two days a week. Holiday notice periods are only specified as 'twice the amount of the holiday being requested', so in theory, yes, but that is why I hurriedly put the bit at the end about putting things in context of 'a week's holiday'.

Strictly speaking therefore, 4 days would be adequate, but where the 2 days amounts to 'a working week' then the employer could (quite rightly) argue that two weeks notice should apply - it is all about interpretation and acting reasonably, otherwise somebody who only works 2 hours a day could give 4 hours notice of a holiday request. Of course as stated, any holiday request can be refused, but the more notice the better.

Hope that makes a bit more sense!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!