• Tweets

• you have been stiched up  but you really should have walked away from this well beofre reading the paperwork, let alone signing it.   However, the incentive is part of the contract, same as being given a free gift as part of a sale doesnt mean the retailer caqn give you somehting that is broken and not make good just because it was "free". so, back to the incentive and the terms you signed. Chances are the terms make the contract voidanyway but we wont knwo that until we see it. give us a good idea of what this is all about and you may well find a couple of people will give you the advice you need.
    • I have given them independent reports from two roofers that say they are beyond salvageable due to the upward curl on most of them along with a few cracked.    I have given them 3 quotes for removal (I was / am happy to pay for the reroof, but was based on it being slate as I could have taken it down myself.)    They have been out and taken photos themselves of the current roof along with pictures I sent in when we first found out it was asbestos after that was done was when they offered the £200 and they wouldn't comment any further on the matter.    They have asked me to have it tested officially opposed to an visual inspection but each time I ask them will they cover costs if it does come back as asbestos they ignore the question, three times I have asked.    It was 3 years ago but I first raised the complaint at the start of this year.    The age of the roof in question dates back to the 1920s when the house was built, the main building had its original bare Welsh slate roof with limestone mortar. 
    • Agree, you need to start a formal complaint and keep it in writing but also make it clear what you expect as an outcome. An apology and some commitment to better staff traing regarding general customer services but specifically handling of medical emergencies would be in order. They have a responsibility for the health and safety of all peopel on the premises and it does look like this point was sorely missed by the manager. i would also expect them to write off the cost of the ruined meal as well, you didnt paln in advance to ahve one of your party leave in an ambulance so their actions are pretty shoddy
    • so ask for a quote for their removal. you say due to the state of the tiles but give no indication as to what that is. You do need to have something specific to wave at them to get any movement and at the moment you dont. For all they know you could be telling lies just to get a few quid to go travelling with. so get proof of asbestos and a quote for removal if the roof is too far goen for repair. Pictures to show what they shopuldnt have missed will also bolster your case. I also note that it was 3 years ago so you have enjoyed the benefit of the roof for that time regardless of what it was made of. An estimate of the age of the roof will also be needed as that will help determine whether they should ahve been looking for such materials in their survey.
    • Has any one else had issues with the MCS scheme for renewables? We had a dreadful experience and had to fight for nearly 3 years to get a Biomass boiler removed after it was fitted incorrectly to work and unsafe. The scheme and its relevant bodies did everything to protect the installer and but us as a consumer at a disadvantage.  The consumer code body of the scheme requested the installer to record the meeting held at our house to discuss the issues with the heating system. We only became aware of this when the consumer body stated the meeting was recorded by the way, and this was evidence the system was working correctly. ICO has looked at this incident and concluded our data protection was breached.   
  • Our picks

• Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies
buddie994

Advice on Employment Law and Sickness

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3692 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all

I am after a wee bit of advise.

My friend has been working for a company(lets call that company Marks&Sparks) for sometime now- almost three years now.

Last September she got ill with breathing problems and was off for 7 weeks. When she went back, the company refused to move her to a different department so that her health wouldn't affect her ability to work.

In January this year, she got ill again. Exactly the same as last September. She has been in and out of hospital at numerous occasions and neither her Consultant nor her GP has any idea of what is up with her.

She receives no money from the company as her SSP has ran out.

Today she had a meeting with her bosses and they told her that she had 24 days to get a date of her return to work from her consultant otherwise she will be sacked(ill-health dismissal) or she has to resign.

The advise I am after, is the ultimatum from M&S allowed and is this legal?

Normally the suggestion would be that with a recognised condition, it is worth going down the DDA route (long-term condition affecting one's ability to work) and whereby the employer would be obliged to consider 'reasonable adjustments' in order for the employee to remain in work. The problem here is that this seems to be an undiagnosed condition, so it looks as though the employer is looking at capability as a potentially fair reason for dismissal.

If your friend is employed as a [job title] and is unable to fulfil her contract whether due to illness or other reasons, then the employer is entitled to dismiss using due process due to that breach of contract. They do have to be careful though, and it would help considerably if the doctor was able to come up with a diagnosis.

To be fully in the right, the employer should follow correct procedures, which may include an independant medical assessment, or permission to contact your friend's GP/Consultant. They should also be exploring alternative roles, but only if they exist, and she should be allowed to be accompanied at any meetings whereby action is being considered. She must also be given the right to appeal any decision, so resignation should not be considered as this may close the doors to any action if it were to come down to that.

You say that she receives no money as her SSP has run out? Do you actually mean SSP or company sick pay? SSP can be paid for up to 28 weeks.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Hi all

I am after a wee bit of advise.

My friend has been working for a company(lets call that company Marks&Sparks) for sometime now- almost three years now.

Last September she got ill with breathing problems and was off for 7 weeks. When she went back, the company refused to move her to a different department so that her health wouldn't affect her ability to work.

In January this year, she got ill again. Exactly the same as last September. She has been in and out of hospital at numerous occasions and neither her Consultant nor her GP has any idea of what is up with her.

She receives no money from the company as her SSP has ran out.

Today she had a meeting with her bosses and they told her that she had 24 days to get a date of her return to work from her consultant otherwise she will be sacked(ill-health dismissal) or she has to resign.

The advise I am after, is the ultimatum from M&S allowed and is this legal?

Your friend should tell the company wants to be referred to OH and get a copy of the referral from that they sumit to the OH as sometime they do not put the correct information on these forms. What has the GP put on the sick notes. Is the the same conditon all that she has been off with. Your friend should also put it in writing that she would like to moved to another department for heath reasons.

Was it the line managers that you friend had a meeting with and was there minutes taken of that meeting? Was your friend made to sign the minutes that they took of the meeting. Your friend dose not have to resign but they are hoping that she will do. Do not safisfied them by doing this.

A little bit more information would enable a fuller reply.

Edited by Allwood