• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

AMEX Excessive Interest Charges

lachie8
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5037 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Where do I begin other than to say that I lost my business last year and could not afford to pay my credit cards on time resulting all being handed to various collection agencies.

So far, I have came to agreements with everyone except AMEX :mad: to have interest frozen and paying a sum of money to each to reduce the outstanding balances as I get on my feet again.

However, today I received a call from Brechin Tindall Oatts solicitors in Glasgow advising that I now owe them £6500 on an original debt of £5100!! and that AMEX are charging me interest at 48%!!!

I have asked that the interest is frozen but the stock answer is no go,and so I find myself wondering whether I can do anything to challenge this answer or do I go to Citizens Advice for help or someone.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be most grateful to hear.

Where do I begin other than to say that I lost my business last year and could not afford to pay my credit cards on time resulting all being handed to various collection agencies.

So far, I have came to agreements with everyone except AMEX :mad: to have interest frozen and paying a sum of money to each to reduce the outstanding balances as I get on my feet again.

However, today I received a call from Brechin Tindall Oatts solicitors in Glasgow advising that I now owe them £6500 on an original debt of £5100!! and that AMEX are charging me interest at 48%!!!

I have asked that the interest is frozen but the stock answer is no go,and so I find myself wondering whether I can do anything to challenge this answer or do I go to Citizens Advice for help or someone.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be most grateful to hear.

Dear lachie8

This seems a bit steep!

When was the account opened?

Which DCA's have you been through?

When did it get passed to BTO?

Can you post up the agreement and default notice minus all personal details and you will then get more help as to the APR, agreement enforcability etc.

Regards

Monty

Hi Monty,

Thanks for your reply.

I have not been through any DCA'S,AMEX put me straight to these Solicitors.

My account was opened in August 2006 as I replaced a previous account,unfortunately I have no paperwork whatsoever in relation to agreements,APR etc.

In short,I have been a bit 'thick' with this debt and the others and really do not know how to fight back now.

Debt was passed to BTO in September 2009 and I have been paying them £100 a month,what a waste of money this has been.

If you could give me any pointers,it would be most appreciated,as I am trying to learn how this great site works as the advice I have gleened so far has been invaluable.

rEGARDS,

lACHIE

Dear Lachie8

Sorry, I thought in post 1 you had been through a few collection agencies before it was passed to Amex:

Did you recieve a DN from Amex?

If you have no documentation then you need to send a letter to Amex and request a copy of your agreement under S78(1) of the CCA 1974. You should also request all documentation that they hold, this is done using a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act.

You will find the letters in the templates section. The S78 request costs £1 and the SAR £10. Send both by guaranteed next day delivery. I suggest that you keep all documents, they will be important if this goes further.

What have the Amex sols sent to you since you first had contact?

Hi Monty,

They first actually wrote to me on 21st July,2009 advising they had been instructed by AMEX to collect outstanding sum of £5167.94, I then contacted them and agreed to pay £100 per month unaware that they were still charging interest on this sum which is now £6k+!!!

That is all I have had from them other than a letter confirming that AMEX would not freeze the interest on the account,after I had written requesting them to do so.

Will send off SAR tonight as suggested,thanks so much for your help.

Is this normal for AMEX to act this way from your experience? Surely,got to be a law against this arrogance?

Lachie

Hi Lachie, have you been moving house a lot recently. Amex mostly use a DCA (or 3) before setting their pet solicitors on to you so you should really have a file of letters from 1 or more of them.

When you get a reply to the DSAR, make sure you examine it well to see where and to whom this 'debt' has been passed around to.

Anyway, keep us updated.

The REAL Axis of evil: Banks, Credit Card Companies & Credit Reference Agencies.

Hi Alphageek,

Not moved in 17 years,must be real popular with them for some reason.

I am a muppet when trying to negotiate this site today,trying to find template letters,any clues?

Lachie

How Can Ammex Be Charging 48% Apr

Even My Cap 1 Card Was 34%

What Ammex Card Did You Have

The Normal Clear The Balance Each Month, Or The Normal One

I Think They Call It The Blue Card But Dont Quote Me On That

Hi postggj,

The card I had was the green one, I was informed by the solicitors today that in my agreement that it states that interest is charged at 48% for defaulted cards,their words not mine.

I will get the SAR off tomorrow and then see where I go from there,but it appears there is nothing I can do at the moment about these interest payments at present.Other than to throw myself at their mercy!! Ha! Ha!

Lachie

So They Are Saying 48% For Defaulted Cards

You Realy Need To Get Hold Of The T&c For The Card

When You Took The Card Out, not The Current Ones

Me Thinks They Are Pulling Your Chain

Me too!! I need to get to the bottom of this asap,thanks for the link by the way,for some reason or another I could not access site.

Lachie

Hi postggj,

The card I had was the green one, I was informed by the solicitors today that in my agreement that it states that interest is charged at 48% for defaulted cards,their words not mine.

I will get the SAR off tomorrow and then see where I go from there,but it appears there is nothing I can do at the moment about these interest payments at present.Other than to throw myself at their mercy!! Ha! Ha!

Lachie

The Green card is normally a charge card or a corporate charge card, credit cards from amex tend to be blue or silver I believe.

Is this for a charge card or credit card?

S.

Shadow,

Chargecard,I had to clear balance in full each month. Does this make a major difference do you happen to know?

I think in my panic I have led everyone to believe this was a creditcard and must APOLOGISE for mis-leading those kind enough to try and help me earlier.

Lachie

Shadow,

Chargecard,I had to clear balance in full each month. Does this make a major difference do you happen to know?

I think in my panic I have led everyone to believe this was a creditcard and must APOLOGISE for mis-leading those kind enough to try and help me earlier.

Lachie

It does make a substantial difference since the chargecard does not come under the CCA. Hence why you did not get a default notice.

You should still submit a SAR though.

I am confused as to why they spat you to BTO though, typically Amex use RMA Resolve/NCO Europe initially to secure a payment plan?

Shadow,

Lachie

Hi Lachie,

No problem just means the CCA1974 do not apply, as Postggj says, you DO need to see the chargecard terms, was this done through a company or your own account?

Did you ever receive the chargecard terms and conditions when you got the card?

S.

Thanks People, I will get information and let you know how things go.

Lachie

p.s. Sorry fagain for the confusion,my head is stuck where the sun does not shine right now!!

Hi Shadow,

Through my name but company paid for it, do not remember seeing T & C's it was so long ago, I will ask them for a copy of same with SAR.

It appears though that I can do nothing with them if not covered by CCA so back to the drawing board as what to do with them. Run possibly!!

Lachie

Dear lachie

You mentioned earlier that:

"My account was opened in August 2006 as I replaced a previous account,unfortunately I have no paperwork whatsoever in relation to agreements,APR etc."

Can you also confirm if the card swap you mentioned back in 2006 was to replace a chargecard or a credit card? did they give a reason or was it a simple upgrade of some sort?

You should also take a look at your credit file (send £2 to Experian) and see if you have been defaulted (likely). Then when you get your SAR response with the T&C's their ability to charge interest in relation to default will be more clear.