British Gas / LCS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5014 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I wasnt 100% sure which forum to put this in as it relates to both british gas and LCS debt recovery...anyways...

I moved into my house in February, and set up my gas and electric with British Gas...all well and good, or so I thought.-

A few weeks after I moved in, there were still bills coming thru addressed to the previous tenant, which were politely marked "not at this address" and returned. The next bills came through addressed to "the occupier" and of course these were read, and related to a debt the previous tenants had of over £800. I rang up British Gas and explained that this was not my debt and that if they looked at their records, they would see that I only moved in, in february. They requested the tenancy agreement, which was sent to them, and they aknowledged that the debt didn't belong to me.

Anyhow...a few weeks later, another letter addressed to "the occupier" drops through the door, this time its from LCS Debt Recovery for the debt I had already proven to British Gas was not mine. So as a matter of course I rang them...same old jibber jabber, and sent my tenancy agreement to them, just as I had with British Gas...agreed the debt wasnt mine, and that was that...boy was I wrong!

A few weeks passed again, and a letter addressed to me drops through the door, I open it, only to see that LCS have now changed the name on the debt to mine...despite both British Gas, AND LCS, having agreed that I was not in the property at the time...not a happy bunny!

I get back on the phone to LCS, who request another copy of my tenancy agreement, which I send, yet again. I also inform my landlords that this is happening, and they also send a copy of my tenancy agreement to both British Gas and LCS...to which they say that it is all sorted (BG & LCS)

So last week, i get another letter from LCS...an offer of settlement for £536, stating that if I do not pay, they will instigate legal proceedings against me...despite the fact that I have proved I am not responsible for the debt AND my landlord has proved I am not responsible.

Just to set the record straight...I pay my bills by direct debit with BG, and have done since moving in, and I am in credit on both my accounts (gas & elec)

I am at my wits end with these people, and am out of ideas as to how to

(a) get this black mark off my credit rating,

(b) get these people off my back,

© end this constant harassment from them.

I apologise for the long post but I had to explain it all...any help greatly appreciated!

Hi Gone Insane :)

I can certainly feel your pain! Their complete ineptitude is why I will never use British Gas again, even if it means paying higher rates with someone else!

I'm not as knowledgeable as most others on this site, but personally I would email (don't phone!) British Gas' Customer Complaints Department [email protected] attention Andy Eley and detail EVERYTHING. Be sure to mention your credit report being blighted by this as well!

I had a collection letter arrive at my doorstep from a DCA (can't remember which) saying I owed money for electricity supplied to a property LONG after I had moved out. I contacted the energy supplier complaints department via email and the issue was resolved within a couple of days, the DCA informed, and the matter laid to rest.

Hope this Helps :)

Wifey

Thanks Wifey :)

I have e-mailed them after calling them again this morning, as they managed to mess up my account at the same time, putting me on the wrong tariff.

The guy was pretty helpful with that, but just kept tellin me to call LCS regarding the letters...its all good fun! lol

Hi Gone Insane :)

Never deal with a collection agency on the phone!:D lol. Somehow you always end up giving them enough ammo to start seriously messing with you, without even meaning to. You shouldn't have to deal with the DCA at all anyways, this isn't your debt or your fault. British Gas should be fixing this massive screw up and doing it quickly. I'd mention complaining to the Energy Ombudsmen if this isn't resolved in short order and follow through with it. The Ofgem website tells about how to go about complaining to the Ombudsmen, steps to take, etc.

Andy Eley is supposed to be Head of Customer Complaints, which is why I mentioned him, so it would be worth composing a good, detailed email to him. And be sure to keep an eye on your credit report, even after it gets resolved because DCA's won't think twice about trashing it if they can....and they'll conveniently forget to remove the black marks if they can get away with that too!:roll:

Wish you luck!

Wifey:-D

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=441405&in_page_id=2B

British Gas have not yet got their computer systems correct !! They are hopeless. Sounds as if LCS is worse.

Complain immediately to the Energy Ombudsman. BG will have to pay the Ombudsman.

Write a letter of complaint to BG and then refuse to talk on the phone saying ' I will not talk to you until I have a satisfactory reply to my complaint in writing'.

Ignore, ignore ,ignore LCS completely. If they ring you put the phone down.

If this gets annoying complain to Trading Standards (part of OFT who licence debbt collectors) saying that they are chasing you for a phantom debt which they have acknowleded is not owed.

These people know that you owe them nothing so they cannot take any action against you so let them continue to chase their own tails and spend their money doing so. Just laugh at their stupidity and do not get upset. It is not your job to sort them out and you are wasting your time talking to BG's customer service or LCS in any way.

When they stop hassling you ask for compensation - £200 would not be unreasonable.

Thanks wifey& pelham,

I learned the hard way of givin um enough ammo when they changed the debt to my name to chase me instead! haha

To be honest im not fussed about compensation, just my credit report, i work in a the financial sector so credit is something i cant afford to mess up! lol

I agree however and have advised BG in the mean time that if i dont get a satisfactory response within a further 14 days (their lead times are 7 days for complaints) then i will be taking further action as its already gone on for 4 months.

Have you checked that there is anything adverse on your credit reference agencies files?

If there is nothing there then it cannot appear in any credit report. Do you check your CRA files regularly? When I check mine there are nearly always errors some of which are adverse.

This matter has always been in dispute and it would be unfair practice (OFT) and libel (which you can sue for) to put anything whatever on your CRA files.