• Tweets

• Hello and welcome to CAG. People should be along to advise over the course of the day.   Which retailer are we talking about please?   By the way, something seems to have gone wrong with the spacing in your post above so I've popped in some paragraphs.   Best, HB
    • I'm after some advice before I fill in and return the section 172 "request for driver name and address".  I am the registered keeper of the vehicle stated .   The alleged offence (Exceeding variable Motorway speed limit 68mph in a 60mph zone) was committed on 29/07/2020, the NIP is dated 31/07/2020.  On Wednesday the 29th July 2020 a friend and I were driving for a much needed break from South Wales to spend a few days in Yorkshire, we shared the driving for the 4.5 hour journey at just over an hour at a time each.    My problem is this, 1.I have no idea of the location or recollection of the place to which the police refer (M1 Northbound Duckmanton Derbyshire?)  and 2. I cannot say with any accuracy which of us were the driver at that particular time.  I have a clean driving licence and am usually very speed aware using the cruise control at most times.   an offence for a mere 8mph on a motorway with everything that is going on at the moment seems extremely harsh IMO.     I would much appreciate if anyone could offer help / advice at what I should do next? Many thanks  🙁
    • Hello just asking,? I purchased a discount new cooker as it had cosmetic damage, paid £250 After a few days I noticed the fan never went off, I contacted the company and they finally collected the cooker and took it away, ( for 7 days) And fixed it,   It never seamt right? It steamed up in the clock panel and the oven door was mis-lined It had multiple dints in the sides Top panel missing on the door to stop food dropping in, Shelving didn’t fit well Then main fan started to rattle and tap   I put up with all this as it was *discounted Then one day whilst cooking we could smell a funny smell Turns out the wires had melted on the back of cooker I contacted the company again and it took a lot of phone calls to try and get the problem dealt with, speaking to several different staff....I wanted a refund or replacement I had had the cooker 6 months just! I asked for a refund or replacement    I contacted trading standards and citizens advice and they advised me what steps to take! Finally the company offered to replace the cooker, then later changed! As they explained that nothing came in to replace it they were too damaged! ( been told they buy at auction damaged) They wanted to look at the cooker and inspect the damage themselves, so I agreed they collected the cooker, No update, or communication I had to constantly chase them up Nothing was sorted out with 7 days we had no cooker, I threatened Trading standards were now involved Last thing on a Friday in June they rang to say I can collect the cooker it’s fixed!!!! I had expressed all along I didn’t feel safe using this cooker anymore with my family I didn’t want this cooker fixing again ( by whom) They started to blame me and said I should be grateful they aren’t charging me for the repair!   Still today in August this is not resolved  Trading standards have been useless  Citizens advice have told me to take them to small claims court!???? I have had to purchase another cooker  As I’ve been left without one.   I am in a vulnerable situation in life, Im a carer for my husband and have children and have no one to help me sort this mess out! I am struggling with making the county court claim ? What shall I do?   ( sorry for long message) ✨
    • The committee's report is pretty damning, isn't it? The Home Office refused to supply the scientific evidence it said its decisions were based on and you can possibly see Demonic's hand in this - he has form for ignoring select committees.
    • and that facts start to come out 'Inexplicable' failure to quarantine travellers to the UK made pandemic 'far worse', say MPs UK ‘almost unique’ in rejecting border checks in crucial March period – without scientific basis – as hundreds of infected passengers arrived every day   https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-uk-quarantine-travel-cases-deaths-covid-a9653451.html   "Strikingly, it says the Home Office refused to set out any scientific advice to explain the “grave error”, despite repeatedly promising to do so – a stance attacked as “completely unacceptable”."   So even aside from not testing in any way people who returned: "Yvette Cooper, the committee’s chair, said the critical mistake was the decision on 13 March – 10 days before lockdown – “to remove all self-isolation guidance for travellers arriving in the UK”."   "The MPs also pour scorn on the Home Office’s argument that 99.9 per cent of arrivals are obeying requirements to quarantine for two weeks, finally introduced in June. They describe the claim, made by home secretary Priti Patel as “unreliable”, because it appeared to be based only a limited number of compliance checks made and three fines issued."       So not only did Johnsons cronies NOT make any efforts whatsoever to test people returning, and NOT properly check people were self isolating, they actually stopped telling returnees to self isolate for 10 days before the country was locked down as the number of epidemic infections exploded.   Wonder why?   "The committee’s inquiry heard that, in the crucial 10 days between scrapping isolation guidance and the lockdown, up to 10,000 infected people arrived."  
  • Our picks

• Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 8 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies
chillcoat

Deposit claim after end of tenancy

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3398 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi all,

This forum seems to be a knowledgeable place for tenancy deposits. I’d appreciate any comments on our case.

Three of us moved into a property in January 2008. We renewed the tenancy a year later, and moved out in February 2010. We paid a deposit on moving in of £1860. We never received any information from the landlord, the agent or any of the protection schemes.

Since moving out the landlord hasn’t repaid our deposit. It was only when I did a bit of reading around the subject that I came across the Housing Act 2004 and the liabilities of landlords towards their tenants’ deposits. I have written (email) confirmation from each of the three deposit protection schemes that they have never protected any deposit from us.

I served a letter before action to the landlord, the time limit on which has now expired. The landlord has acknowledged receipt of the letter and seems to be a bit scared at last.

A few specific questions:

- if he returns our deposit at this point can I continue with court action against him? I’m not the vindictive type but this man has pushed my patience.

- when we moved in my father acted as my guarantor as I was still a student. When we renewed the contract in January 2009 there was no new credit check. Does this affect anything?

- one of our flatmates moved out in May 2009 and we replaced him with a friend who paid the old tenant his deposit. Does this affect anything?

I’ve read the threads about a current High Court decision which is pending. I suppose waiting for the outcome of that case might be instructive.

Thanks for your time.

Chris

The intention of the law seemed to be that if the deposit was returned or protected prior to the hearing, the 3x "fine" would not apply.

The law itself is unclearly worded (hence all the court cases and appeals) and seems in some people's view to imply this as it says that the judge should order return/protection of the deposit and "also" the 3x fine. The "also" could suggest that the latter (the 3x fine) shouldn't happen if the former (the return of the deposit) cannot be awarded (because it has already been returned).

If the deposit is not returned till after you issue a claim, you should at the very least continue the claim for the costs of issuing the claim, since there remains the failure to protect the deposit.

The credit check issue shouldn't change anything.

The change in flatmates might affect who is entitled to any "winnings". Common sense would suggest the new tenant is entitled to it...

I submitted my N208 claim today, claiming for the deposit plus interest, three times the deposit as compensation, and court fees. My (anonymised) claim wording is below, if anyone would like to borrow it. I took most of the wording from the template kindly posted online by someone more knowledgeable than me (sorry, I forget who).

The Claimant claims under section 214(1) of the Housing Act 2004 that the deposit of £1860 required by the tenancy agreement originally dated [sTART DATE] in respect of the premises at [ADDRESS], made between the Claimant and the Defendant was not paid into an appropriate tenancy deposit scheme (in breach of section 213(1) of the Housing Act 2004); or that the Claimant was unable to confirm from the Scheme Administrator of any tenancy deposit scheme that they held the deposit in accordance with the scheme (in breach of section 213(3) of the Housing Act 2004).

And the Claimant asks that the court make an order:1. That the person who appears to the court to be holding the deposit do repay it to the Claimant, in accordance with section 214(3) of the Housing Act 2004.2. That the Defendant do pay to the Claimant, within 14 days of the making of the order, a sum of money equal to three times the amount of the deposit, in accordance with section 214(4) of the Housing Act 2004.3. The Claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year, from 10 February 2008 to 7 July 2010 of £358.87 and interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of £0.41.The Claimant is therefore seeking payment of £7440, plus the court fees and interest.

The Claimant encloses copies of:

• the Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement signed on [sTART DATE] relating to the above named premises;
  • the receipt from the Letting Agents of the deposit;
  • a letter sent in March 2008 relating to the lack of inventory provided for the property, and thus that no deductions from the deposit would be accepted;
  • a letter received from the Letting Agents in January 2010 confirming that the Defendant is holding the Claimant’s deposit;
  • confirmations from each of the three Government-approved tenancy deposit protection schemes that they did not hold the deposit for the above named premises for the entire length of the tenancy;
  • letters and emails sent to the Defendant requesting information about, and return of, the deposit. The Claimant additionally requested the return of the deposit on numerous other occasions by telephone since the end of the tenancy, with no repayment forthcoming despite repeated promises to the contrary by the Defendant;
  • the Letter Before Action sent on 25 June 2010 and the email from the Defendant received on 3 July 2010 acknowledging its receipt;
  • the Notes for the Defendant.

Best of luck. Keep us updated.

Hey guys.

I work in Landlord & Tenant law and one thing I would say about any deposit case is this:

Universal Estates -v- Tiensia

The Court of Appeal heard this on May 7 and reserved judgement. The question at stake is whether the three-times-the-deposit penalty is at date of hearing or at date of application to Court.

Also in question is the requirement for the Landlord to provide information - does the information have to be provided within 14 days or by the date of a Court hearing?

I think this is the case that the OP was referring to. I'll keep everyone updated as I learn more about the outcome.

Needless to say, it seems to be my perception in deposit cases that Judges are staying a lot of them pending the outcome of this case. But this is just my perception, your mileage may vary. If in ANY doubt, get independent legal advice rather than trusting to something you read on the internets.

HI Chillcoat,

any update on your court case?

I have a very similar problem... My tenancy ended a couple of month ago and I've been having trouble to get my deposit back... And I found out that it was never registered...

I'm taking the landlord to court...

Please let us know...

S

We won! Had our hearing this afternoon. The landlord didn't turn up, but the judge accepted our case and awarded us our full claim:

- return of the deposit

- interest on the deposit from start of tenancy + 10 days until now

- three times the deposit

- court fees

The landlord's defence was to have paid a cheque into our bank account last Friday - but it didn't clear in time so we went ahead anyway. I'd recommend this to others in the same situation. Beware though, as if your landlord protects the deposit, even after the end of the tenancy, then you're likely to lose your case for compensation.

The landlord may apply to have the judgement set aside but we'll know in the next couple of weeks. Thanks everyone for your advice and help!

Keep your eyes on the forums/news/blogs as there is a case in the High Court of Appeal on the 9th February to get clarification on the "protecting deposits after the end of the tenancy" point.

It is listed as {Potts vs Densley}

Keep your eyes on the forums/news/blogs as there is a case in the High Court of Appeal on the 9th February to get clarification on the "protecting deposits after the end of the tenancy" point.

It is listed as {Potts vs Densley}

That case was heard by the High Court on 9th February. But judgement was reserved, i.e. it will not be given for several weeks.

Once the decision is known, it will be reported by solicitors Pain Smith in their on-line blog at http://blog.painsmith.co.uk/2011/02/09/potts-%E2%80%93v-densley-pays-update/.

Edited by Ed999

Note

This is a self-help forum in which users share their experiences. Assistance is offered informally, without any assumption of liability. Use your own judgement; obtain advice from a qualified and insured professional if you have any doubts.

This posting gives general guidance only. It is not an authoritative statement of the law. Consult a Solicitor for specific advice before deciding on any course of action.

Further information:

Assured and Shorthold tenancies - A guide for tenants

Renting and Leasehold - Advice from Shelter

All posts are opinion only

If you've found my suggestions useful, please click on my star and add a comment