Benefits abroad

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5014 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've spent the morning trawling through the rules etc, and ended up more confused than when I started.

I currently get IB (long term) and DLA (high care and low mobility).

The OH is being posted to Singapore for 6 months and I would dearly like to go too - who wouldn't? - but having had to fight for the DLA over and over again I don't want to lose it and have to start again from the beginning when I get back.

Also, we should be moving to France within the next 2 years. Since that will be a permanent move, what will happen then?

Any help would be seriously appreciated.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Your I.B. and DLA are transportable to another EEC member country but sadly Singapore isn't one so it's no can do.

I was wondering, maybe it's possible to have the payments suspended for the Singapore sojourn whilst remaining on the I.B. and DLA. Apart from the hassle of re-applying, your I.B. would have to be an ESA claim - you really oughtn't go there (for as long as possible) if you can avoid it. Maybe the medical which Citizens Advice branded "unfit for purpose" will be revised to make it easier next year, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

Thanks, I sort of guessed that would be the answer.

I presume it's possible to go abroad for a certain amount of time or DLA/IB claimants could never go on holiday, so maybe I could just go for a visit. I'm certainly not getting in to ESA claims before I absolutely have to.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Thanks, I sort of guessed that would be the answer.

I presume it's possible to go abroad for a certain amount of time or DLA/IB claimants could never go on holiday, so maybe I could just go for a visit. I'm certainly not getting in to ESA claims before I absolutely have to.

RMW

Don't know what happened with the above threads - first they wouldn't post at all, then there was four copies, then it wouldn't let me edit them!

RMW

Don't know what happened with the above threads - first they wouldn't post at all, then there was four copies, then it wouldn't let me edit them!
That was a problem with the CAG server, it was running extra slow, I had exactly the same problem with my posts too - today and a few days ago.

With regards to going abroad, it said somewhere that for I.B. you need to tell them if you're going out of the country for a while, my guess is that it'll be the same with DLA as well.

Regards,

Paul.

BTW I was in Singapore back in 1970/71 when Changi was a R.A.F. base and I had the time of my life, who wouldn't when it was $7 Singapore to the £ and hot and sunny nearly every day all year round.

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

And travel and accommodation are provided by someone else - not cattle class either!

Having travelled with the OH once before and got to experience business class lounges etc, I could seriously get used to that.

RMW

And travel and accommodation are provided by someone else - not cattle class either!

Having travelled with the OH once before and got to experience business class lounges etc, I could seriously get used to that.

Hello,

I don´t know if you have seen my Thread regarding New Claims for Disability Living Allowance in Spain. I have been fighting for over 2 1/2 years now, and my legal advisor has prepared a brilliant interim submission and it should any day now, be with the Tribunal.

I am also on Long-Term Incapacity Benefit and have been since 1996. I exported this benefit to Spain with no problems what-so-ever. My review is due at end July/beginning of August and this is after 5 years of being written off. So I will see what happens when the time comes, as far as I know a form will be sent here for my doctor to fill in then it will be sent back to the DWP.

I also exported my Child Benefit and Child Tax Credits.

As far as going to a country outside the EEU. I am sure you would be able to go for a holiday, but I doubt very much you could get away with 6 months. You even have to ring and tell the DWP if you are going away for a week!

When you move to France you should have no problem exporting your IB, but I know the DWP are still being very awkward when it comes to DLA. I assume you know about the 26 week rule the DWP are still insisting in quoting, but this is just a matter of time before it will be changed as there is a Legislation that has been placed with the European Court of Justice who say "everyone has the right to free movement", and the UK Government have been given 2 months to comply, else they will be taken before the ECJ and fined heavily for not complying. But this of course only applies to other EEU countries.

So I guess it´s not much help going to Singapore, but will be useful information when you do eventually move to France.

Have you checked with the DWP regarding being 6 months away. Can´t you get a letter from your doctor explaining it is for health reasons? I don´t know what you disability is but maybe a change of scenary and weather could help your condition. Or maybe you can´t be without your OH for that long due to your disability. I assume he is not your carer (if you have one)? It just a few suggestions.

Sorry if I can´t be of much help. All I really know is about exporting benefits from UK and applying for new benefits from within the EEU.

Take care.

GS x :)

I have just been looking at some paperwork from DLA and it states that you have to tell them if you are going to be away for more than 1 month.

Hope that helps

JB