Landlord Ripped out bathroom with no notice. Posessions in room Damaged :(

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5032 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey guys I left my rented room last wednesday night to go home to family for a few days over a long weekend. I had left my room secure and all my washing done all neat and tidy ready hung up for this morning so I could arrive have a quick wash and put on my work clothes and head straight out the door. Seperate to this I had left a Laptop in bits on my Desk and an external hardrive on the desk too. I leave a small window open 4x6 inches to keep the room ventilated.

I arrived this morning to find the bathroom completely ripped out and to find the WALL had been removed to the bathroom aswell. There was a Thick layer of breezeblock dust everywhere. I was really shocked but then when i opened my room door I found a 2-3mm thick layer of black/grey dust everywhere on the bed, on my clothes that were all neatly pressed and ready to wear this morning, all over my open laptop and H/D the place is horrible now the walls the floors the wondows it just feels really gritty and grimy. I phoned the Landlord (whos Live IN) and he siad yes the new bathroom had arrived on thursday unexpectedly and because he had 3 days off he had decided to attack the bathroom & move the door so he could fit the new bath too. When I asked about him letting me know as i would have asked him to put some masking tape around the door and put a towel under it to prevent the dust he said "oh we will in future but we just didnt think at the time but all the works is done now its just tiling and putting in the new bathroom."

Im ****ed off to be honest whether I can clean the components or not is my biggest headache but either way im royally fecked off and dont know what to do as he should have told me and didnt my H/D is making some weird noises now too :(

Any suggstions one what I can do or how I should approach this issue? I dont want to cause bad feeling in the house but hes really dropped a bollock here and im angry.

Having spoken to CAB, they have advised me as im under an assured tenancy agreement that I could effectively take him to the small claims court for the cost of the damage/cleaning due to his negligence in informing me that he was going to carry out the work.

what this will do to our relationship though him being a live in LL though is another matter.....

Ill try the softly, softly, talky, talky approach tonight and let him know how upset I am about this and ask him to foot the bill and we will see what happens.

Either CAB are wrong (again) about this being an AST OR you have outlined your situation differently than you have on here.

- Do you live with your landlord i.e. he lives in the same house and you share bathrooms/kitchens/living rooms etc?

If so its not an AST as the CAB have advised. This is a mute point though as Steve_M has advised, as you can take them to court regardless. The only difference being, a court claim falling through the door is likley to result in your very prompt removal from the property!

Jaw Jaw not War War is deffinatley the way to go here.

All sorted now just was mighty upset but hes been really good about it and paid for the laptop and HD to go to a computer repair shop for it to becleaned and any parts replaced at his cost.

However Planner you have me concerned now though I live in a house with my own room the landlordis live in and we share bathrooms kitchens living rooms etc but I have an Assured Tenancy Agreement. Is this not correct forthe living arrangements as they stand?