bongorob

Disabled access to railway stations

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3670 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

My mother is wheelchair bound and wanted to take a trip by train from Stoke-on-Trent to Lichfield.

I went last winter to see how practical this would be.

Lichfield Trent Valley station has no wheelchair access between platforms. I contacted London Midland Trains to se how a wheelchair passenger would travel from Stoke to Lichfield Trent Valley. They can't.

The suggestion was to travel via Birmingham and on to Lichfield City which has lifts.

This would increase the journey time by an hour in each direction and invlove changing trains three times in each direction.

A cheap day return ticket between Stoke and Lichfield is not valid via Birmingham. The journey via Birminghm is a lot more expensive.

So London Midland Trains are not only not interested in disabled passengers, but are willing to let them pay a higher fare, increasing their profits while providing an inferior service.

Considering that during the last seven years the main line between Manchester and London has been closed most weekends and frequently throughout the week also, I cannot see why the stations were not rebuilt with lifts.

If I understand the Disabled Discrimination Act correctly, London Midland Trains are failing in their legal duty to provide access for disabled passengers.

They do, I am shocked that they have not done so for you.

You need to ring rail enquiries, and tell them that you want to book wheelchair assistance. They will give you the number for APRS, and they are the people who will organise the journey.

If necessary, they will book (and pay for) a taxi if a part of the journey is utterly impossible.

my son who is in a wheelchair had this problem about changing platforms, the train company paid for a taxi to help him on his way