alicherry

Water leak in Rented Accomodation

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3694 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi All,

My partner and I moved into our rented flat in September 2009. We are on a water meter and were suprised to find an extremely high bill when we first received the bill. After contacting United Utilities, they suggested we do a leak test and we found we had a leak.

A plumber was called and found a slow leak behind the toilet, which was fixed. At this point this was December, so the leak had been going on for at least 3 months undetected, possibly before we moved in.

I would like to know if my landlord is liable for these charges as the flat is meant to be in a good state of repair and we have incurred very high costs as result of this leak. Any ideas?

thanks

Post removed.

Edited by zazen.warrior

I would expect the TA to state that all utilities are the responsibility of the tenant, and therefore you would be liable for the charges; it might be worth having a word with your LL though stating this and that you do not feel it is fair.

My old place was damp and the heating had to be on all the time; I got £100 a month knocked off my rent for it