A bit of a dilemma ...

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4997 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm decorating my house at the moment and this afternoon I tripped and fell while carrying a tin of paint through to the kitchen. The paint spilled on the carpet, splashed the settee, went all over my specs, in my hair etc etc. We've cleaned up the mess as best as possible but there is a big stain on the carpet that won't come out.

Now here's the problem. Should I claim on the insurance? I'm loathe to do so for two reasons. 1 - It's the oldest trick in the book. The carpet is quite old (about 15 years) and not in the best of condition. This will sound like the classic [problem], even though it's genuine. I wouldn't get a new one because I don't have new-for-old insurance, but I might get a couple of hundred quid. 2 - We already have a new one on order anyway and are just waiting for some other work to be done on the house before we have it fitted. Now if this was the new carpet, or if I hadn't already ordered one, I would definitely make a claim, but now I'm not sure what to do. I've never before made an insurance claim, so it's not like I make a habit of these things, but I know for sure I'll feel embarrassed if I ring up with this one.

What would you do?

Fred

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

I am not European, I am English.

What sort of paint was it Fred.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

If that were me, as I have the new carpet already on the way and wouldnt want my premiums the following year to increase, I would not claim even though a gunuine claim it is. I would be too worried what people would think as you say even though you have done nowt wrong, if they suspect something fishy as wrong as they would be they might label you as a risk.

If talking carp happy to be put right xx

Ps, my son a few years ago got tired of waiting for me to decorate he got threee tins of paint and lobbed it, yep lobbed it around his room. Shoud exhibit his room in the tate gallery as modern art and make our fortune, apart from that its a room I open and go oooohhh and shut the door again xxxxx Hope you get it sorted xx

What sort of paint was it Fred.

Dulux silk for walls and ceilings. There's a double irony here. I'd already painted what it was I was about to paint but hadn't realised that the second tin I opened last week was matt instead of silk. I'm normally good with this sort of stuff but hadn't even thought about it.

To be honest, I'm a bit loathe to claim because in my heart, it just feels wrong.

At least at the moment I've got matching walls and carpet.

Before you criticise another man you should first walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you criticise him, you'll be a mile away and he won't have any shoes on.

Don't get me confused with somebody knowledgeable by all those green blobs. I got most of them by making people laugh.

It's a genuine claim and that's what you have insurance for!

I've just claimed for my carpet as I had a leak of printer ink from a printer that I had placed on the floor as I moved my room around.

Rang ins. co. and they arranged for someone to call to see if the stain was removeable..

Couple of days later chap arrived and stated that it was not cleanable.

He reported back and a couple of days after that another guy inspected quality of carpet and measured it.

Rang ins. co. following day,agreed with their valuation and agreed with excess and money in my bank around 4 days later.

Unusual for policy not to be new for old these days and whether you claim could well depend on your excess and whether your policy is claim protected--and who you insure with.

No point having insurance if you don't claim when a genuine accident occurs!

If it's come out of your furniture I wouldn't worry. My son broke his lappy while on a train and if we'd claimed there would have been a £50 excess and were told our premium next year would go up £50 too. If you only expect about £200 it hardly seems worth it.

As an aside, if you can manage new for old insurance I'd definitely recommend that you get it. When we were flooded 3 years ago we didn't have to worry about what we could afford to replace everything.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

as its an old carpet i think id leave it - you have a new carpet coming anyway .....keep your premiums down

it would be different if you were claiming for the sofa & other damage too

We managed to get it off the sofa and in any case, the sofa's old and normally has a throw over it, so no problem there.

My father had bricks and mortar insurance for 26 years and never once made a claim. Then he had a small leak in the hot water pipe that couldn't be detected and rang them. They said that he was not covered for that. Anyhow, I noticed there were huge cracks down all his walls (inside and out) and said he should call them to send a building inspector round to view it. His gutters have split about 6 inches apart from eachother and they are splitting more apart as the years go on. He refused to call them because they wouldn't fix his pipe, so why would they do this??????

He still payed his monthly premium and then (before calling them), moved his insurance to another provider. He has only been with them for a few months and feels that he should pay for many years before making any sort of claim. I told him that if he was never going to make a claim, then he should save his money and not have the insurance.

Perish the thought, but when his days are numbered, we are left with a house with the value of about 50p. If he got the insurance out, I am sure they would have to rebuild his walls and stuff and make the house worth living in at least.

So my motto is, if you're not going to claim, don't pay for insurance.

Hope you get things sorted either way FB:)

If all else fails, kick them where it hurts and SOD'EM;)

• 3 weeks later...

Well I finally decided to call the insurance company yesterday and they are sending an assessor round to my house. Let's see what happens as I haven't a clue. I checked my insurance and it's new for old. I have to admit I actually felt nervous about ringing them. That in itself bothers me because I'm sure these companies use voice analysing software to try and work out if people are lying. Could embarrassment and nerves be mistaken for lies?

Edited by Fred Bassett

Mrs Basset will be dissapointed they wont replace you on the new for old Fred :rolleyes:

NEVER FORGET

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Help Our Hero's Website

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

HIGHWAY OF HEROES

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/181826-last-tribute-our-lads.html

Like Cooking ? check the Halogen Cooker thread

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/218990-cooking-halogen-cookers.html

Mrs Basset will be dissapointed they wont replace you on the new for old Fred :rolleyes:

Not half as disappointed as when she finds out I've traded her in for a younger model.

oh no not the 2 x 20's for 1 x 40 deal @ asda's again :rolleyes:

NEVER FORGET

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Help Our Hero's Website

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

HIGHWAY OF HEROES

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/181826-last-tribute-our-lads.html

Like Cooking ? check the Halogen Cooker thread

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bear-garden/218990-cooking-halogen-cookers.html

oh no not the 2 x 20's for 1 x 40 deal @ asda's again :rolleyes:

It would be more like 2 x 25s. It's a dirty job but somebody has to do it.