Cancelling Assured Tenancy

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5043 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am looking to break my assured tenancy agreement early.

The original contract was 12 months, no provision to break early.

I was vebally assured when I renewed that the insertion of a 6 month break clause gave me the right to break any time betweeen 6 months and the end (with at least 1 months notice). Instead I can only break at 6 months or 12 months - yes I didn't read it properly.

I was prepared to withdraw from my prospective property, as this was a mistake, but my landlord said that it wuld be fine if I got a new tenant (which would be easy, given that there is interest in the flat ...).

So on this basis, I put down a deposit for the new flat, but the finding of a new tenant has been a nightmare. I feel my LL has been stringing me along with any options he's presented, (he wants me to handle deposit money as he's abroad, which has made some viewers uncomfortable) and any time I suggest any other options he tries to string me along some more, making it out that e.g. using letting agents won't be a bother, while giving sketchy help.

He's begun sending me emails warning against not finding a replacement and it's obvious he's trying to bully me into staying the full term.

If I were to offer a sum to cancel has he got the right to refuse as per the agreement? Would it be wise, for my sanity? I've only 3 months rent left on the contract, can afford it, and would prefer that to staying the full term. Could he still demand I get a replacement tenant, or pull anything else?

Other than losing the deposit on the new place, what implications will there be if I pull out of the new place? (I haven't signed the tenancy agreement on the new place.)

He has the right to keep the contract going so that you remain responsible for bills and rent for the three months. But the minimum you need to do is to pay the rent and bills, and periodically check the property hasn't burnt down or been burgled. If the property is unfurnished then once it is empty you should be able to apply for a reduction in council tax.

On the other hand, I'd have thought most landlords would bite your hand off at such an offer as it enables them to re-let the property straight away, and in essence get double the rent.

Though it sounds like you have a problem with a lazy landlord who hopes you'll do the lot.