• Tweets

• It's Hotpoint (but I believe they're part of the Whirlpool group now?). The part was bought direct from them as a consumer.
    • Thanks BankFodder for your latest, I'm in complete agreement on the subject of mediation and will be choosing to decline mediation, the longer timeline is not an issue for me, I will happily let the going to court run it's course. I really appreciate the support from the Consumer Action Group. I'll post the email text I'm sending to Evri's small claims in answer to their recent defence response. Regards, J    email text I'm sending to Evri's small claims in answer to their recent defence response:  
    • Sec127 (3) repealed, now gone. S. 127(3)-(5) repealed (6.4.2007) by Consumer Credit Act 2006 (c. 14), ss. {15}, 70, 71(2), {Sch. 4} (with Sch. 3 para. 11); S.I. 2007/123, art. 3(2), Sch. 2
    • We used to recommend that people accept mediation but our advice has changed. The mediation process is unclear. Before you can embark on it you have to agree that you are prepared to enter a compromise – and that means that you agree that you are prepared to give up some of your rights even though you are completely in the right and you are entitled to hundred percent of your money and even though EVRi are simply trying to obstruct you in order to discourage you and also to put others who might want to follow your example off from claiming and even though they have a legitimate basis for reimbursement. Mediation is not transparent. In addition to having to sign up that you are prepared to give up some of your rights, you will also have to agree not to reveal any details of the mediation – including the result of the mediation – so that the whole thing is kept secret. This is not open justice. Mediation has nothing to do with justice. The only way of getting justice is to make sure that this matter goes to trial unless EVRi or the other parcel delivery companies put their hands up and accept the responsibility even if they do it is a gesture of goodwill. Going to trial and winning at trial produces a judgement which we can then add to our small collection to assist other people who are in a similar boat. EVRi had been leading you around by the nose since at least January – and probably last year as well – and their whole purpose is simply to drag it out, to place obstacles in your way, to deter other people, and to make you wish that you'd never started the process and that you are prepared to give up your 300 quid. You shouldn't stand for it. You should take control. EVRi would prefer that you went to mediation and if nothing else that is one excellent reason why you should decline mediation and go to court. If it's good for them it's bad for you. On mediation form, you should sign that you are not prepared to compromise and that you are not prepared to keep the result secret but that you want to share the results with other people in similar circumstances. This means that the mediation won't go ahead. It will take slightly longer and you will have to pay a court fee but you will get that back when you win and you will have much greater satisfaction. Also, once you go the whole process, you will learn even more about bringing a small claim in the County Court so that if this kind of thing happens again you will know what to do and you will go ahead without any hesitation. Finally, if you call EVRi's bluff and refuse mediation and go to trial, there is a chance – maybe not a big chance – but there is a chance that they will agree to pay out your claim before trial simply in order to avoid a judgement. Another judgement against them will simply hurt the position even more and they really don't want this. 300 quid plus your costs is peanuts to them. They don't care about it. They will set it off against tax so the taxpayer will make their contribution. It's all about maintaining their business model of not being liable for anything, and limiting or excluding liability contrary to section 57 and section 72 of the consumer rights act.     And incidentally, there is a myth that if you refuse mediation that somehow it will go against you and the judge will take a dim view and be critical of you. This is precisely a myth. It's not true. It would be highly improper if any judge decided the case against you on anything other than the facts and the law of the case. So don't worry about that. The downside of declining mediation is that your case will take slightly longer. The upside is that if you win you will get all your money and you will have a judgement in your favour which will help others. The chances of you winning in this case are better than 95% and of course you would then receive 100% of your claim plus costs
    • Nice to hear a positive story about a company on this form for a change. Thank you
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Parents' £80 Elec. bill p.m, surely too much?Emersion heater maybe?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4937 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi dx, please please dont hate me for this but someone was trying to tell me yesterday that they found the fridge/freezer plugs a waste of money as they dont work, that is why they are discontinued? (im sure he's wrong but i thought i mention it)!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

certainly on the older not so envir freindly ones they make a hell of a diff.

if the app is of the modern era then no they won't as the tech is already inc inside the fridge/freezer.

i made this suggestion because i assumed they would be old [+10yr] appliances and not be very good on their rating.

i had a relative that processed deer, he had 15 giant chest freezers from the 1980's

his bill was in the £1000's per quarter

we fitted them to every freezer and his bill almost halved.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Well i suppose you could call my visit yesterday a partial success as i got my Mum to follow a friend's advice and explain to Scottish Power that being as my Dad has few health problems with his back that a direct-debit meter (i cant think of the proper name for it) would benefit him more than the pre-payment meter, they waived the £150 fee, which was absolutely brilliant, and all they would have to pay is the charge of £45 the company charges them to uninstall it! Luckily/coincidentally, my parents had a credit built up of £45ish (due to the social tariff refunds at certain intervals) so that takes care of that! They will be installing the new meter on September 10th i believe! Brilliant!! Im so happy at that step!!smile.gifsmile.gifbiggrin.gif

The next bit wasn't so good frown.giffrown.gif My mum explained that she washes their bedsheets two to three times per week because, apparently, my dad 'sweats a lot', i didn't know this! I asked her how many spare changes of the bed sheets (top and bottom) and i think she said two. I suggested that if she had four then she could wash the 'dirty' ones in one go instead of the (usually) two to three times per week but she wasn't very keen on this idea!! I will try her again!

On the fridge-freezer front, i can confirm that there is a 5ft one in the house which will be replaced soon, a big chest freezer stored more-or-less outside with only a roof and one side covered. My dad has a fridge-freezer and a small freezer in his shed!frown.gif

However, i have my new plug-in monitor in the extension lead for my dad's two appliances and, wait for it.....from 8pm yesterday to 8pm tonight it had used a large 5 KWH!!! That's at least 65p per day!!

Phew!! That'll add up eh? £19.50 per month!!!

one wonders why they need so many freezers.....

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Well, the fridge-freezer in the house (which is being replaced) is for milk, cheese, bacon, salad+the frozen meats/meals(v. small freezer compartment), the one chest freezer in the shed is for loaves, meat, meals, chips etc. My dad's fridge-freezer is for food for the lots of dogs/ferrets etc+his chest freezer is for the amount of rabbits/hares/pheasants for the ferrets.

ideally i think my dad could manage with one large fridge-freezer that has a particularly large freezer compartment! The reason my mum is keen to replace her fridge-freezer is that it is on the way out so that's kind of good news!

I suppose a victory of sorts has been made with the two facts:

1, That the pre-payment meter is now going to be replaced with a normal meter thus meaning they wont be stuck with the pre-payment meter's more expensive standing charge of 17.29p per day

2, Their useage for the last 14 days has come to 255Kwh whereas it used to be 475Kwh (using the fact that their 12 month useage was 12366Kwh divided by 52= 237Kwh multiplied by 2= 475Kwh)

You may be interested to find that my dad's fridge-freezer+small freezer have used a total of 8.8Kwh in 48 hours so, going on that, i suppose you could say that works out to 132Kwh per month. Bearing in mind that their monthly useage will be 510Kwh that would mean those two appliances use 25% of their monthly Kwh!!

Ps- i do realise that a reading after 48 hours isn't a fair indicator but im just going on what i have at the moment!

might as awell buy the ferrets food fresh as its costing more to freeze it.

i take it the ruddy things are not set to 10 are they?

turn them both down to 1 they wont know any difff...they're dead [i mean the stuff inside...!!!]

dx

and they

Ha ha ha, that did make me laugh quite a bit!! :p:p

Yes, good thinking there, i shall certainly do that, i also think im going to take the plunge+buy one of those plugs you mentioned that i've been threatening to buy for ages on here!! :p

I now have my 72hours worth of readings of my dad's fridge-freezer and small freezer so i have a rough idea of how much they bloody use so now the trusty monitor is going on my mum's fridge-freezer in the house, i know it is going to be replaced soon but i am curious to know how much that sod uses before it gets replaced with a nice shiny new (Argos-branded) one. I'll bet it's a guzzler!! :|:confused::|

when they are turned down & used in conjunction with one of those pulser plugs, they can be quite eco.

but you also have to 'educate' the users too, its no good putting hot or warm stuff in 'em.

my uncle used to boil up dixie cans of liver/kidney etc etc and almost put is straight in.....doh!

dx

and they

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again!

I was hoping i could ask for a wee bit of help?

Im looking for a new fridge for my mum, i have found quite a few on the Argos website that has wonderful options to filter out ones you need and do not need such as A/A+/A++ rated, price range etc but unfortunately i cant seem to locate any that have ice boxes in.

Now i have learned that the term 'Larder fridge' means no ice box but i have yet to find any with ice boxes in under the search of 'fridge'! The only other term usable is 'fridge freezer' which is not what i want as my mum is sticking with her chest freezer that uses 1kwh per day (as opposed the her fridge that uses 2.5kwh per day!)

Ps- The Which website offers plenty of fridges with and without ice boxes but, rather annoyingly, uses cost in pounds per year instead of kwh per year! :(

Apply through Southern electric for a free fridge or subscribe tot eh weekly newsletter from moneysavingexpert. The fridge is free and it si a decent size fridge. It is a like for like exchange. If it is only a fridge exchange is a frdige. If fridge freezer exchnage is fridge freezer. Your folks should qualify if they are on pension and another benefit.

Hi everyone, just an update as we have nearly come to the end of the (very long) line:

My mum's current fridge uses 880kwh per year, this is being replaced on Wednesday with a fridge-freezer that uses a quoted 260kwh.

This should bring the weekly usage down by around 11 kwh.

Next i believe that my dad is thinking of replacing his fridge-freezer and small chest freezer (1460 kwh per year) with a a single fridge-freezer that uses a quoted 260 kwh per year.

This should bring the weekly usage down a further 23 kwh!! tongue.giftongue.gif

Also, i've just signed them up to EDF which should change their current monthly bill of £65 to £52!! (thanks to Surfer01 but EDF worked out better on the whole! Appreciate the advice though!!)

Now then, did i read something about a power saving plug for Desktop computers somewhere please?