• Tweets

• What's the reason for not wanting a smart meter? Personally I'm saving a pile on a tariff only available with one. Today electricity is 17.17p/kWh. If the meter is truly past its certification date the supplier is obliged to replace it. If you refuse to allow this then eventually they'll get warrant and do so by force. Certified life varies between models and generations, some only 10 or 15 years, some older types as long as 40 years or maybe even more. Your meter should have its certified start date marked somewhere so if you doubt the supplier you can look up the certified life and cross check.
    • No I'm not. Even if I was then comments on this forum wouldn't constitute legal advice in the formal sense. Now you've engaged a lawyer directly can I just make couple of final suggestions? Firstly make sure he is fully aware of the facts. And don't mix and match by taking his advice on one aspect while ploughing your own furrow on others.  Let us know how you get on now you have a solicitor acting for you.
    • Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

cancel broadband

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5038 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I need some advice on a problem i am having with my broadband.

I have been with my broadband providor since november 09 and recently i moved house and took the broadband to the new house.

The problem started with the house move, it took over a month for the house move to complete due to a new line being installed and my broadband company basically wasnt really bothered. they first told me it would take a week for the move, it took them 4 days for them to actually put the order through for a house move called them a few times and they kept saying to me oh sorry the order hasnt been put through ill do that for you now, three people said that to me.

Once the order went through it took 3 weeks for the bt engineer to visit the property only to state he needs to carry out a second survey, this took another week and finally they came to fit the new line. Once the line was fitted to the new house the broadband didnt work and i had to wait another week for them to find the fault and fix it, then the modem played up and plusnet were useless in helping.

since the i figured out the problem with the modem broadband has been working fine, i called plusnet to discuss compensation for the period i was out of service due to the delays in a new line being put in, and basically all they would give was one months free line rental, they even charged me for the month i was out of service which i think they should have refunded but they refused to do that eventhough i was told i would get a refund over the phone they denied ever saying that later on. The reason why i joined my broadband providor because they were offering 3 months free broadband, because i took this offer up they couldnt offer me any more free broadband for the compensation, which was unfair.

Then my broadband providor started messing up the direct debits they started billing me seperately for the phone line and the broadband taking two seperate payments and i didnt know this, on one occassion i didnt have any money in my account and i got charged by my bank because of a failed direct debit. they stated on several occassions they would sort this out but they still havent its been over a month.

Im not happy with my broadband providor at all and i do want to leave them but i have just found out when the house move completed i entered into a new 12 month contract which wasnt mentioned at all.

I would like to know what would happen if i took my case to OFCOM?

Also if i cancel the services with the broadband providor would i be able to get another service such as the telephone line rental and broadband with another company? would there be any kind of bar on the line?

Im not prepared to pay them any more money i just want out of the contract theres bound to be more problems with my broadband and i cant be dealing with it iv got enough problems with my life at the moment, so any way i can do this please let me know.

Hi,

I need some advice on a problem i am having with my broadband.

I have been with my broadband providor since november 09 and recently i moved house and took the broadband to the new house.

The problem started with the house move, it took over a month for the house move to complete due to a new line being installed and my broadband company basically wasnt really bothered. they first told me it would take a week for the move, it took them 4 days for them to actually put the order through for a house move called them a few times and they kept saying to me oh sorry the order hasnt been put through ill do that for you now, three people said that to me.

Once the order went through it took 3 weeks for the bt engineer to visit the property only to state he needs to carry out a second survey, this took another week and finally they came to fit the new line. Once the line was fitted to the new house the broadband didnt work and i had to wait another week for them to find the fault and fix it, then the modem played up and plusnet were useless in helping.

since the i figured out the problem with the modem broadband has been working fine, i called plusnet to discuss compensation for the period i was out of service due to the delays in a new line being put in, and basically all they would give was one months free line rental, they even charged me for the month i was out of service which i think they should have refunded but they refused to do that eventhough i was told i would get a refund over the phone they denied ever saying that later on. The reason why i joined my broadband providor because they were offering 3 months free broadband, because i took this offer up they couldnt offer me any more free broadband for the compensation, which was unfair.

Then my broadband providor started messing up the direct debits they started billing me seperately for the phone line and the broadband taking two seperate payments and i didnt know this, on one occassion i didnt have any money in my account and i got charged by my bank because of a failed direct debit. they stated on several occassions they would sort this out but they still havent its been over a month.

Im not happy with my broadband providor at all and i do want to leave them but i have just found out when the house move completed i entered into a new 12 month contract which wasnt mentioned at all.

I would like to know what would happen if i took my case to OFCOM?

Also if i cancel the services with the broadband providor would i be able to get another service such as the telephone line rental and broadband with another company? would there be any kind of bar on the line?

Im not prepared to pay them any more money i just want out of the contract theres bound to be more problems with my broadband and i cant be dealing with it iv got enough problems with my life at the moment, so any way i can do this please let me know.

Were you out of the minimum term when you moved?

I thought plusnet was a monthly rolling contract if you already had the equipment.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

My supplier is plusnet, they supplied the modem i paid for the delivery charges. Last week they took £8 out of my account and i dont even know what that was for.

Can anyone advise what i can do i really do want to leave them eventhough they are they cheapest in my area i dont mind paying extra for a better service, i dont want to leave and they end up charging me for the whole contract plus the cancellation charge, i think they also stated im liable for the line installation.

I wasnt out of the minimum term when i moved, i signed up in november last year for a 12 month contract and they have started the 12 month contract agian since the house move.

Ahh, I understand the issue better now.

1st I'd like to say almost every provider can come unstuck when a customer is moving house to a property that doesn't have a landline installed, as they are at the mercy of BT Openreach

Installing a new line costs about £125. Plusnet discount that down for their customers if they lock into a new term.

Now, As you are unhappy with the way Plusnet have dealt with this, you should follow their "Code of practice" which gives you the official way to complain (and cuts out a lot of the running around and waiting on hold :p) It is highly recomended to keep your correspondance in writing as you have a paper trail if things need to get taken further.

Whilst we aim to deliver a high level of customer satisfaction, we acknowledge that from time-to-time problems do occur. We are committed to ensuring that every effort is made to resolve any difficulties quickly and to your satisfaction. However, in the unlikely event that you feel your issue needs to be escalated, we ask you to provide our Customer Service Director with details of your issue in writing. This allows the opportunity to fully investigate your case, ensuring that an appropriate, informed decision is taken.

Our Head Office address is as follows:

Customer Services Director

Plusnet plc

Internet House

2 Tenter Street

Sheffield

S1 4BY

If after using the support methods detailed above, you remain dissatisfied, you then have the option of independent adjudication via referral to our Dispute Resolution Scheme.

As a member of the Internet Service Provider Association (ISPA), Plusnet utilises the Communications and Internet Services Adjudication Scheme (CISAS) provided by the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators for ISPA members, which is supported by OFCOM.

CISAS contact information

Should you wish to refer your issue for the independent consideration of CISAS, then you do this:

1. Via the CISAS website

2. By Post:

CISAS, 24 Angel Gate, City Road, London, EC1V 2PT

3. By Telephone: 020 7520 3827

Please refer to us as 'Plusnet plc' in any correspondence with CISAS.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

That is what plusnet said it was BT'S delays, but it took plusnet 3 days to actually put the order through, i called in 4 times and i kept getting told someone forgot to put the order through, then when they did put the order through it was rejected by bt but the house is a new building and bt had no records of it.

What plusnet did wrong there they didnt bother to contact the bt address department to add the address then place the order they just went straight to processing the order when it was obvious the order would get rejected by BT because they dont have the address stored on there systems, it was plusnets responsibilty to make sure the address was made known to BT. This took over 2 weeks for them to do.

I had to use cafe's for internet access which were over 10 miles away it cost me money, money which i have worked for, on top of that i have to pay plusnet for a service i wasnt using at the time.

Finally to top things of i get charged for things i dont know about it, i get charged by my bank for miss debit payments and when i call plusnet to discuss things they act like im in the wrong when im not.

To be honest with you im pretty ****ed of with plusnet they make my blood boil i think the sorting things out phase is over for me they aint listening and i dont really want to sort things out i just want rid of them before they cock things up agian and before they do that i want out i cant be dealing with stress of it all.

The problem is they hold a contract over you. Cancel and they can ask for the full term's worth of payments. Write to them as I posted above and include in your letter what you want as resolution.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar