Customised my bike nightmare

jankers1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5022 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

This is a long drawn out story so I will try to be to the point;

I own a Harley Davidson Night train bought in 2001 new. March this year I decided to have it overhauled and customised. I sourced what I thought was a reputable custom bike builder and got him to quote me the price for a 300 mm rear wheel conversion (to make it wider), new tank, etc, etc I told him I had in the region of £5,000 the initial quotes and communications done by email. I went down to visit him with the bike and he said it could be done, I then stressed the point that the work needed to be completed by the 07 May as I was moving to live in Spain and the bike would be going by shipping with the rest of my belongings, he said that the date would be no problem, the work started and the project grew and grew, in the end I had spent £9,100. As the date for the removals approached the bike builder phoned us and explained that there were problems with the wheel, the tyre blew on inflation, this was due (by his own admission) that he had used a car wheel and that it had some sort of safety rim on it which was causing problems when he came to fit the tyre.

The moving day went without my bike, the removal company would not alter their quotation for not taking the bike he said the bike would cost £250 in the price with the rest of my affect. He said it was not his fault the bike was not here to be loaded.

Anyway as the debacle of the wheel carried on it transpired that the bike builder had to send the wheel away to have the lip lathed off this whole process took about 4 weeks, there was lots of communication in the end I asked him for a deadline on the bike to be finished, he stated 03 July 2010.

I emailed him last week and asked him when can I book transport and explained that I would foot the bill of the transport over and above the £250 that he should pay due to his missed deadline on the 10 May 2010. He then got back to me explaining that there was now a problem with the paint (as the wheel had to be repainted at the sprayers) and chose not to mention the issue over him paying £250 towards the transport which I have been quoted £400. I emailed him again asking for another deadline and mentioned the transport issue again. Yesterday he got back to me and stated there was another problem with the tyre that the spray shop had noted (which was worrying as he did not notice when he fitted and inflated the tyre), he then asked if I was footing the bill for the transport and asked was he missing something what was this about £250.

I have emailed him back today explaining how for at least the last 3 emails I have directly stated that he should pay £250 towards the transport as it was his fault it missed the deadline 10 May 2010, I also explained how much stress this is causing me and my wife, as he continually keeps trying to botch this car wheel. I did ask why he used a car wheel, initially he stated that he did not notice when it was delivered then later he stated that it was to save cost.

So I am at the end of my tether with the whole ordeal, as I have not kept a retainer payment, he has the bike sat in his work shop near Milton Keynes and I am over here in Spain. He keeps telling me that all these tyres and other costs he is footing the bill on.

My question is do I have any legal status as I believe that he will repute my claim that he has to foot the bill for the transport. Secondly surely there is some sort of consumer rights that he has broken be it with deadlines or the safety issue of fitting a car wheel and selling it to me as a bike conversion. Look forward to reading any comments if you have not fell asleep reading this mammoth post.

I then stressed the point that the work needed to be completed by the 07 May as I was moving to live in Spain and the bike would be going by shipping with the rest of my belongings,

As you made 'time of the essence' then yes he is liable.

Is there no one over here you know and who is knowledgable enough to go and see him on your behalf?

I'm sure if you mentioned it to the boys at the Harley club, they would be only too glad to go see him.

Thanks for the reply and reading my thread, yes I do know someone who I could hand over power of attorney to but im not sure how much it will cost me to take him to court over this. Much as I would love to, I did not want to say or do anything that could be construed as a threat of violence.

hi as a keen biker and a harley owner i am amazed that he has used a car wheel,when there are custom wheels avaliable.i dont even know how he has managed to fit it to the bike as the center would be wrong and having 4/5 wheel bolt holes would look cr@P and how is the rear brake mounted?

if its anywhere near nottingham drop me a pm and il go and have a look if you like,i also know a few people who could do the work.

• 2 weeks later...