BT Phoneline contract question.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5017 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been with BT for long time. I started a new contract with them in January 2009. I moved home in July 2009 and transferred the connection. They normally start new 12 month contract, I was in an impression that I started new contract. I wanted to end my contract next month (august 2010) as I am going on a long holiday. When I phoned them, they say that my contract was continued from the previous home and was automatically renewed after finishing my 12 months which was in january 2010. According to them my contract is until january 2011. I am wodering how can they renew my contract for 12 months without contacting me, I cant even remember they mentioned this at the time of starting my contract. What should I do if they ask me to pay the rest of the money.

Additional Details

I had never asked them to renew my contract automatically after finishing my 12 months in jan 2010. They are atleast supposed to send me a letter or an email saying my contract is due to end if I wanted to renew it.

They did not charge me anything as I am transferring my contract to new home. They always used to start a new 12 month contract earlier. Once we finish it, we have right to cancel it anytime. This automatic renewal is new to me from BT. Do you think I should make a complaint?

Hello and Welcome, vipra.

Sorry I'm not too clued up on contractual law ect :rolleyes:

I'll move this thread to a more suitable Forum, where hopefully you'll get some help.

Regards.

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

I don't know what agreement you have with BT but I know that many of their customers are now on a "rolling contract."

I'm not sure if you have to agree to this in the first place or whether it is just on "special packages" (I haven't been with BT for 10 yrs), however as an example I know someone who gets a £1 per month discount for inclusive calls but is on a "rolling contract" which will continue unless she cancels it just prior to the renewal date.

Check your bill, I did notice on this ladies bill it was shown there.

I'd thought that moving home does indeed start a new contract for - in this case it seems - 12 months. That being the case, the contract ended in July 2010. However:

If you had the option of the free evening calls (I think) that comes with the penalty of an automatically renewing contract. When the 12 months ends, a new 12 month contract starts.

So if you took that option, then yes, you'll have to pay early termination fees as you're contracted until July 2011 (they say January 2011, which is odd though would be in your favour in this case)

What it depends on is whether you took that option or not e.g. whether or not they are correct to assert that you have the auto-renewing contract. Otherwise, you would seem to have no contractual obligation beyond month-to-month.

Yup, if you pay for the weekends package, and you get weekends and calls, the downside is that you get this situation of a "12 month rolling contract"

I think that is what happened. Now, they do have to tell you at renewal time, but that is a letter that comes in your bill and looks like a sales leaflet I believe, so very easy to get binned IMHO.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Thanks for your answers guys.

Actually i am on anytime free calls package, so will I be still falling under that Auto Renewal thing?

I get online bill and never receieved any paper message from BT advising me of that.

Help is much appreciated

Sounds like an 18 month term from when you moved then.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

Locutus,

Thanks for your reply. I spoke to customer service, they say its 12 month contract, but has been automatically renewed for another 12 months until next january.

They did not mention this to me when I moved home. If it was new clause added after my move, don't you think I have right to question them and not pay the penalty. What do you think?

Hi all

:D my "bt so called contract" is due to end, if I change back to what I was on before contract started in 09, it would cost me more money and no free w/end calls.

:confused: I cannot work it out either.

I think the idea of 12 month contracts is a gimmick to try and get people who do not have landline.

Most mobile phones are contract, makes it easier for BT sales people to compare.:D

:)

dk

Locutus,

Thanks for your reply. I spoke to customer service, they say its 12 month contract, but has been automatically renewed for another 12 months until next january.

They did not mention this to me when I moved home. If it was new clause added after my move, don't you think I have right to question them and not pay the penalty. What do you think?

Never heard of a rolling contract on any other packages that the weekend package with free evening calls personally.

to

C.A.G. Toolbar