Here's a question

Rayne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5035 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We're all moaning and whining about banks etc (rightly so btw). Why are wer using them? I know employers insist that employees MUST have a bank account...why? Surely it is discriminatory against those who do not WANT a bank account? Is it not a fundamental human right to decide how we are paid? I realise that employers don't LIKE paying cash...but can anyone point out where it's written in stone that we MUST have our pay placed into the coffers of a load of profiteering ********?

I know this may seem somewhat simplistic and perhaps a dumb question, but seriously, are we LEGALLY tied to being paid in such a manner?

Would be interested in other's peoples views on this.

DCA's - they have the same power as an infinite number of untrained chimps working on a script for Hamlet, but the chimps would probably at least get it right :D

We're all moaning and whining about banks etc (rightly so btw). Why are wer using them? I know employers insist that employees MUST have a bank account...why? Surely it is discriminatory against those who do not WANT a bank account? Is it not a fundamental human right to decide how we are paid? I realise that employers don't LIKE paying cash...but can anyone point out where it's written in stone that we MUST have our pay placed into the coffers of a load of profiteering ********?

I know this may seem somewhat simplistic and perhaps a dumb question, but seriously, are we LEGALLY tied to being paid in such a manner?

Would be interested in other's peoples views on this.

You will find that it forms part of your contract of employment.

I may form part fo the contract of emplyment but does that mean it's right or legal? Who's Joe Bloggs to tell me I HAVE to have a bank account? Bottom line is I don't want one, and I would imagine a few ppl possibly feel the same.

DCA's - they have the same power as an infinite number of untrained chimps working on a script for Hamlet, but the chimps would probably at least get it right :D

Joe Bloggs may state that as part of the emploment contract offered that your salary may be required to be paid into a bank account ( a credit union account is virtually the same thing), but you don't have to accept the contract offered if you do not wish to do so. Perhaps the job and it's contract is more important than being unemployed?

Carningli

Dave, the co founder of this site had exactly the same gripe with the system we have at the moment and I believe for a while went without a bank account by using a friends account.

I'm not suggesting this is a good idea, you would need to be very sure of your friend before you gave them access to your money so I think the closest you will come is to use a credit union, at least these are run by local people for local people.

Carnigli, ur missing the point. What im trying to say (and quite possibly making a pigs ear of it) is that we are being FORCED into using the banks. How many ppl know of credit union accounts? I know i didn't until it was mentioned in this thread.

And hiya Pete, yes you would need to be EXTREMELY sure. Hell I don't even trust my wife to that extent lol.

There's always building societies, by which I mean one of the few that is still a mutual.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Heya Caro. Can building societies be trusted? Sorry for the question but I don't know anything at all about building societies.

A lot of the builiding societies were sold off and the members got paid for their share of it, but a mutual building society belongs to it's members, ie customers so they take care of the customers instead of fat cat shareholders.

http://www.bsa.org.uk/difference_bank_bs.htm

I don't know if they're all perfect but I would trust them a lot more than the banks.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Cheers for that one, much appreciated :)

Nationwide is probably one to avoid though.;)

LOL, always one :)

Joe Bloggs may state that as part of the emploment contract offered that your salary may be required to be paid into a bank account ( a credit union account is virtually the same thing), but you don't have to accept the contract offered if you do not wish to do so. Perhaps the job and it's contract is more important than being unemployed?

Carningli

No, you don't have to accept the contract, which means not accepting the job.

They can insist that they pay your wages into an account that accepts electronic payments, if you want the job that is.

I think I may be putting this across wrongly. If be insisting that payments are made electronically, is that insistance not discriminatory to those who do not believe nor trust banks?

I'm not sure tbh, hence the reason for my original question :)

Legally, I haven't seen anything one way or the other to say we are legally tied to being paid electronically or if we have a right to choose.

I work in payroll, and I know that it would be very problematic if anyone wanted paying in cash. Apart from a few quid in the petty cash box we simply don't deal in it, and I can't imagine for one moment that anyone would be allowed to take the time needed to travel to the bank, pay parking and travel expenses, and distribute to people at various locations, not to mention the safety aspect of carrying large amounts of cash.

Thank you Caro, that was the sort of answer I was looking for :)

Hi Rayne

:) my post #16 was mean't to be tongue in cheek poke :rolleyes: (but mis-fired)

I work in payroll, and I know that it would be very problematic if anyone wanted paying in cash. Apart from a few quid in the petty cash box we simply don't deal in it, and I can't imagine for one moment that anyone would be allowed to take the time needed to travel to the bank, pay parking and travel expenses, and distribute to people at various locations, not to mention the safety aspect of carrying large amounts of cash.

(Caro I apologise if this seems like teaching granmother to suck eggs. you may already know in's & out's of system.)

Before BACS became the normal payment method everyone was paid in cash.Security companies delivered cash to main payroll office and staff had to fill each pay envolope by hand.

Then to down size payroll dept they passed all payslips to accountants for them to fill wage packets, handed filled wage packets to Security company who then delivered it to relavent payroll office for the staff to collect.

the payment for this service was offset against company tax payments plus company saved money by not having large payroll dept to pay wages too.

Now with the BACS payment method it trims staff to minimum becuase it is automated ie; no human interface

Thats why most companies like you pay for services by Direct Debit ie; no human interface to pay.

:)

dk

Edited by dragonkeeper
insert post #16