Brown-Clegg-Cameron2010

The new IB-IS changeover

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3687 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

The link

Incapacity benefits ? the reassessment process - DWP

Incapacity benefits – the reassessment process

From October 2010 Jobcentre Plus will start reassessing the claims of people who are receiving Incapacity Benefit, Income Support paid on the grounds of disability and Severe Disablement Allowance to see if they are fit for work.

We will write to customers when their benefit becomes due for reassessment to tell them about the changes. We will also phone them to answer any questions they may have and find out if they need extra help. They do not need to contact us before they receive this letter.

Customers will then be sent a medical questionnaire to complete and return and this will be used to decide if they need to attend a Work Capability Assessment. It is important that customers provide as much detail as possible when completing the questionnaire as this will be used to help decide if the customer is entitled to Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).

If they need to attend an assessment, the customer will be phoned to arrange an appointment. They will not need to attend an assessment if a decision can be made on the information provided on the medical questionnaire.

Using the information from the questionnaire, the Work Capability Assessment and any other evidence provided we will then decide if they are entitled to ESA.

People will continue to receive their current benefit, as long as they meet the conditions of entitlement, until we have reassessed their claim.

If a customer does not return their medical questionnaire or attend a Work Capability Assessment when asked, this may affect their benefit.

doe's anyone know if it it will be at a reduce rate of income support or ib when you are on appeal at the moment i get £90+.

Edited by Brown-Clegg-Cameron2010

Hi B-C-C, just saw your post so I'll be back later after further research.

I read that the "as of October" re-assessments are only 2 pilot areas (Aberdeen and Burnley if memory serves) but the roll-out nationally starts in February 2011.

At the moment someone's been appointed to review the (un)fairness of the WCA and the report isn't due until the end of the year. This raises my concern because I.B. claimants will still be assessed under a "flawed" test before any revisions are brought in - I'm looking into ways of challenging the legality of the early "migration" to ESA.

You ask about the rates of benefit after migrating and pending appeal;

successful ESA claims won't immediately lose out but the reduction will be phased in by lower annual uprating (50% of annual increase) of the individuals benefit until 2014 when everyone will get the same as the ESA rates regardless of any shortfall. The lucky ones in the support group will find themselves a few quid better of from the start, therefore the "transitional arrangements" won't affect them, it just affects the WRAG.

Those appealing their WCA "fit for work" will get the (£65.45) JSA rate and if they successfully appeal they'll get a backdate covering the amount they lost out by.

Regards, Paul.

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

Yesterday (on the Daily Politics - BBC1) Margot James M.P. said in reference to the 40% success rate overturning "fit for work" decisions,

I think that that's a good thing, it shows that the appeals process is working
see the last minute of this clip:

I sent this to the show (c/o BBC News - Dear Daily Politics )

It is currently taking an average of eight months before the incorrect decision is overturned and another month to get your correct money reinstated even though you did nothing wrong. Perhaps Margot would like to try living on £65.45 per week for nine months and then tell us again how "that's a good thing".

Aunty has displayed my comment, search: Paul Nurse, Aldershot UK

Edited by loan_ranger
added comments

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.

Yesterday (on the Daily Politics - BBC1) Margot James M.P. said in reference to the 40% success rate overturning "fit for work" decisions, see the last minute of this clip:

I sent this to the show (c/o BBC News - Dear Daily Politics )

It is currently taking an average of eight months before the incorrect decision is overturned and another month to get your correct money reinstated even though you did nothing wrong. Perhaps Margot would like to try living on £65.45 per week for nine months and then tell us again how "that's a good thing".

Aunty has displayed my comment, search: Paul Nurse, Aldershot UK

Cheers LR,

I saw the clip in the video thanks for that, if you here any other worthwile news on this please let us know thanks.