sean4king

PCN 12t In Islington :-(

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3695 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello there, I needs some advice / help!

On I received on Saturday 26 June 2010 for being "parked in a residents or shared use parking place or zone without clearly displaying either a permit or voucher or pay and display ticket issued for that place" (Contravention Code 12t). Please find enclosed a copy of this notice (marked as "exhibit 1").

On Saturday 26 June 2010, at 11.50am, I located a parking space on Dewey Road, N1 and paid £2 at the pay and display machine which was located near to the parking space. The ticket allowed me to park my car there until 12.30pm. My car was parked there for thirty (30) minutes while I visited Sainsburys (whose car park was full) with a local resident. On returning to my car, at 12.20pm (which was 10 minutes before my parking ticket expired) I discovered that I had been issued with the PCN. This PCN had been issued at 12.04pm which is twenty six (26) minutes before I was required to move the car.

The PCN, and P&D ticket are shown below:

NewPicture1-3.jpg

NewPicture-4.jpg

The sign where I parked is shown below:

DSC00487.jpg

The above sign indicates that pay and display parking is permitted on Mon – Fri (08:30 to 18:30) and Saturday (08:30 to 13:30). There is a pay and display ticket issuing machine located near to this sign that reinforces these allotted bays are for pay and display purposes. I did indeed purchase a valid pay and display ticket, returned within the required time and displayed this ticket correctly.

My parking ticket and the space (it's a hire car, I can't afford my own car!):

DSC00488.jpg

DSC00489.jpg

I subsequently discovered, although I’m not 100% sure, that the parking on this street may be divided into three zones: those meant for Pay and Display, those meant for Residents, and a few meant for Business.

I got a PCN and the PCN Contravention Code section states: "12T Parked in a residents of shared use parking place or zone without clearly displaying either a permit of a voucher or pay and display ticket issued for that place".

I was displaying a Pay and Display Ticket for the zone. I’m not sure how the sign indicates that the space is for anything other than P&D – its appears very ambiguous.

Do I have a case? Or should I just pay the £60 before it becomes £120? please don't hesitate to ask if you need any more information.

Thanks in advance.

Sean

The sign for that bay is for Resident Permits Holders Only. The P stands for Parking, not Pay & Display

Thanks for your quick reply.

And as a non-resident and non-London person, how am I supposed to know that a big blue P followed by times is not for Pay and Display as it is elsewhere in the country? i don't believe this is clearly viable and the signage is ambiguous.

If the sign said "Resident Permit Holders Only", then I could understand that. But it clearly provides times within which P&D parking is acceptable. The signage doesn't say P&D parking is not permitted in those bays...

Thanks for your quick reply.

And as a non-resident and non-London person, how am I supposed to know that a big blue P followed by times is not for Pay and Display as it is elsewhere in the country?

The big blue P is standard everywhere to merely indicate a parking place

If the sign said "Resident Permit Holders Only", then I could understand that.

That's exactly what it does say, those very words

But it clearly provides times within which P&D parking is acceptable.

The times are when cars with Residents Permits are allowed to park there

The signage doesn't say P&D parking is not permitted in those bays...

It would have to be an enormous sign to include every permutation that's not permitted, which is why it merely includes what is permitted. If P&D was permitted the sign would say:

Pay at Machine. Display Ticket.

i've just noticed that this was a hire car. If you do not pay at the discounted rate or you make an informal appeal, which they reject and you still don't pay, the council will send an NTO to the hire co., who will charge the full amount + an admin fee (usually£25+) to your credit card

Sooo, if the times are when cars with Resident Permits are allowed to park there, that would mean what residents are not allowed to park there after 6:30pm on weekdays, or that it's a free for all after 6:30pm?

Also, that sign was not adjacent to my parking bay. Might I exploit that issue? It was actually on double yellows.

i've just noticed that this was a hire car. If you do not pay at the discounted rate or you make an informal appeal, which they reject and you still don't pay, the council will send an NTO to the hire co., who will charge the full amount + an admin fee (usually£25+) to your credit card

Indeed, the admin fee is £30 I believe. So I will pay before the rate becomes elevated no matter if they accept my appeal or not.

that it's a free for all after 6:30pm?

Yes, anyone can park there outside the resticted times

Also, that sign was not adjacent to my parking bay. Might I exploit that issue? It was actually on double yellows.

Not according to Google Streets, there are timeplates at either end of the bay you parked in.

Dewey Road N1 - Google Maps

Not according to Google Streets, there are timeplates at either end of the bay you parked in.

Dewey Road N1 - Google Maps

Ahhh, crap. Looks like I'm £60 down! Those poor orphans I give £60 a month too will just have to starve in July :(

Google Street View is a historical document...

Reckon I should ask for a £2 deduction for the money I put in the parking meter? :)

If you make an informal appeal, Islington will hold the discounted rate :

If you write to us within 14 days of the ticket being issued, we will put your case on hold until we respond. If you are unsuccessful in your appeal, you can still pay at the discounted rate.

all you can do is ask them to use their discretion, that you misunderstood the sign, had walked right up to the end of the road to get a P&D ticket (enclose copy), were unfamiliar with area etc.

TBH it's unlikely they will cancel the ticket, but I don't see any other grounds for appeal.

I will do that. Thank you very much for your advice.

TBH it's unlikely they will cancel the ticket, but I don't see any other grounds for appeal.

Hopefully Pepipoo will come up with something more concrete;)