Greeney

Big Housing Benefit Problem

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3687 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Please can someone give me some pointers with this:

My friends housing benefit claim was stopped due to too much capital. The council has demanded overpayment which my friend has agreed to.

My friend is also paying rent arrears to their Landlord; this will obviously reduce my friend's capital to within the eligibility limit.

So now my question is:

1. Can my friend apply for housing benefit and if so, will the council refer back to the 'old'/previous claim details?

2. Will the council request an expenditure break down i.e. How my friend used their capital?

3. My friend is worried that due to their oversight in not declaring capital the council will start a 'fishing expedition' and backdate overpayment to other years, is that a possibility?

Please can someone give me some pointers with this:

My friends housing benefit claim was stopped due to too much capital. The council has demanded overpayment which my friend has agreed to.

My friend is also paying rent arrears to their Landlord; this will obviously reduce my friend's capital to within the eligibility limit.

So now my question is:

1. Can my friend apply for housing benefit and if so, will the council refer back to the 'old'/previous claim details?

2. Will the council request an expenditure break down i.e. How my friend used their capital?

3. My friend is worried that due to their oversight in not declaring capital the council will start a 'fishing expedition' and backdate overpayment to other years, is that a possibility?

due to their oversight
The application form clearly asks about bank accounts, savings, shares, other accounts and uncle tom cobbly - "oversight" seems a bit of an improbability.

I'm not a qualified welfare rights adviser, but I'm planning on becoming one. I'm no substitute for more competent advice from trained CAB and welfare rights workers - [URL="http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/benefits-tax-credits-minimum/127741-benefits-advice.html"]see this post[/URL] by Joa, great advice and links! I've been running a Crisis Loan campaign and help since Jan 2007 . See my annotations c/o "theyworkforyou". I'm also currently interested by the recent DWP Medical Services reform and the effect this is having on valid claims, seriously - someone needs to be keeping a suicide count.