Gas/Electricity/Water companies DCA's demanding full payment

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5015 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

I have a few debt collectors wanting me to pay for the electricity / gass / water for a house I used to live in before I split up with my partner.

I have a few questions really.

1. Can I demand that they send me a copy of the CCA (I dont remember signing one...) ?

2. What can I do when they refuse a payment I can afford on a monthly basis?

3. What can I do when they point blank refuse anything but the full payment in a timeframe in which I would not be able to aggregate the required amount?

These bills we're run up just before I lost my job...

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Craig

Utilities do not come under CCA so don't bother requesting one.

Have they provided sufficient proof that they are entitled to collect?

I have no legal training, any knowledge I have has come from this forum, and my own experiences. Always balance up any advice you get with your own common sense.

Other than the account number and an amount they havn't really proved anything.

I know that I owe them the money, I just want them to stop demanding the full amount because they just wont get it.

Firstly, to buy time, send each DCA the prove it letter.

Also, it is YOUR money and YOU decide what you can comfortably afford to pay so YOU tell THEM what you will be paying and then start payments by Standing Order. I would advise you not to go for DD as you will need to give them your banking information which is not wise as they could attempt to take the whole balance somewhere down the line.

They will look pretty silly taking these cases any further when you are making regular payments, no matter how small. Ignore their threats, and deal with them in writing, never by telephone.

I left an address 5 years ago and all the bills were paid, but I have had just about every bottom feeding DCA chase for a British Gas bill. The original bill was supposed to be £80 and with each new DCA it goes up. The latest threat-o-gram was for £400 +. I used to write and ask for proof but now I just ignore them.

Regards

The Grand essentials of happiness are: something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.

@harrassed senior - Thanks for the info - Just had a look but couldn't see a letter relating to them prooving the debt - Am I doing something wrong?

Email from the water DCA:

"Dear Mr *******,

As we are sure you can appreciate, due to the length of time this balance has been outstanding we do require payment in full.

Please inform us when you will be in the position to raise the funds that will enable you to do this.

Yours faithfully,

Luke Gottschalk

Collection Officer

Offline Collections Department

1st Credit Ltd"

My reply:

"Hi Luke,

Payment in full would take me the best part of 12 months to save up for.

Please can you confirm in writing that you are unwilling to accept an offer of anything other than the full amount. Then when it goes to court I can present this as evidence that you are refusing an offer of payment.

Kind Regards,

Craig *******"

Dear Sir or Madam

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the CPUTR 2008 and the Office of Fair Trading's Guidance on debt collectionlink3.gif, which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. AND in not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to Trading Standards and also inform the Office Of Fair Trading of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

I recently sent the " prove it " letter to a DCA chasing me for an alleged unpaid water bill, they were going to take me to court, send in the bailiffs etc etc but since sending the aforementioned letter i have heard nothing.

Just as a thought, how can they actually prove any debt?, if said person has moved, got married [ if female], is there a statute barred time limit on utilities?

Most of the time they are just trying it on because 'your' name appears on the account and you 'might' be silly enough to pay it, thinking you 'must' owe it, unfortunately too many people do pay up instead of querying with a site like CAG.

Not sure about the SB, hopefully someone with the answer will be here soon.

I have received a reply from the DCA...

"Dear Mr *********,

If you are unable to pay the full outstanding balance in a single transaction, then your are required to provide us with an up to date financial statement and proof of your income.

We should then hopefully have a better understanding of your financial situation and we may be able to accept monthly repayments. Please be advised however that we are not obliged to accept any offer you make.

Your account will be placed on hold for a period of ten days whilst we wait for the above documents.

Yours faithfully,

Luke Gottschalk

Collection Officer

1st Credit Ltd

Switchboard: 0843 320 0050

Fax: 0843 320 0070

Web: www.1stcreditltd.com"

"Dear Mr *********,

If you are unable to pay the full outstanding balance in a single transaction, then your are required to provide us with an up to date financial statement and proof of your income.

We should then hopefully have a better understanding of your financial situation and we may be able to accept monthly repayments. Please be advised however that we are not obliged to accept any offer you make.

Your account will be placed on hold for a period of ten days whilst we wait for the above documents.

Yours faithfully,

Luke Gottschalk

Collection Officer

1st Credit Ltd

"Dear Mr *********,

Yours faithfully,

Luke Gottschalk

Collection Officer

1st Credit Ltd

"Dear Mr *********,

Yours faithfully,

Luke Gottschalk

Collection Officer

1st Credit Ltd

If you have their bank details, then you could set up a Standing Order to pay them an amount each week/month, that is realistic and comfortable to you.

It is pointless informing them of the amount you will pay, because their greed knows no bounds and any figure you tell them will never be enough.

Have you has a read of the 'Billing Code'?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!