• Tweets

• If Labour are elected I hope they go after everyone who made huge amounts of money out of this, by loading the company with debt. The sad thing is that some pension schemes, including the universities one, USS, will lose money along with customers.
    • What's the reason for not wanting a smart meter? Personally I'm saving a pile on a tariff only available with one. Today electricity is 17.17p/kWh. If the meter is truly past its certification date the supplier is obliged to replace it. If you refuse to allow this then eventually they'll get warrant and do so by force. Certified life varies between models and generations, some only 10 or 15 years, some older types as long as 40 years or maybe even more. Your meter should have its certified start date marked somewhere so if you doubt the supplier you can look up the certified life and cross check.
    • No I'm not. Even if I was then comments on this forum wouldn't constitute legal advice in the formal sense. Now you've engaged a lawyer directly can I just make couple of final suggestions? Firstly make sure he is fully aware of the facts. And don't mix and match by taking his advice on one aspect while ploughing your own furrow on others.  Let us know how you get on now you have a solicitor acting for you.
    • Oil and gold prices have jumped, while shares have fallen.View the full article
    • Thank you for your reply, DX! I was not under the impression that paying it off would remove it from my file. My file is already trashed so it would make very little difference to any credit score. I am not certain if I can claim compensation for a damaged credit score though. Or for them reporting incorrect information for over 10 years? The original debt has been reported since 2013 as an EE debt even though they had sold it in 2014. It appears to be a breach of the Data Protection Act 1998 Section 13 and this all should have come to a head when I paid the £69 in September 2022, or so I thought. The £69 was in addition to the original outstanding balance and not sent to a DCA. Even if I had paid the full balance demanded by the DCA back in 2014 then the £69 would still have been outstanding with EE. If it turns out I have no claim then so be it. Sometimes there's not always a claim if there's blame. The CRA's will not give any reason for not removing it. They simply say it is not their information and refer me to EE. More to the point EE had my updated details since 2022 yet failed to contact me. I have been present on the electoral roll since 2012 so was traceable and I think EE have been negligent in reporting an account as in payment arrangement when in fact it had been sold to a DCA. In my mind what should have happened was the account should have been defaulted before it was closed and sold to the DCA who would then have made a new entry on my credit file with the correct details. However, a further £69 of charges were applied AFTER it was sent to the DCA and it was left open on EE systems. The account was then being reported twice. Once with EE as open with a payment arrangement for the £69 balance which has continued since 2013 and once with the DCA who reported it as defaulted in 2014 and it subsequently dropped off and was written off by the DCA, LOWELL in 2021. I am quite happy for EE to place a closed account on my credit file, marked as satisfied. However, it is clear to me that them reporting an open account with payment arrangement when the balance is £0 and the original debt has been written off is incorrect? Am I wrong?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

rip off vets

jack1966
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3475 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm disgusted at rip off vets, i was stroking my dog last night and noticed a wart looking thing on his face, my other half said it looks similar to a tick, this wart wasn't on his face the day before (at least i never noticed and im always cuddling and stroking him,). so we booked him in to the vets for him to have a look.

The vet looked and said no its a wart, he then looked for things to do like saying he looks a bit fat, hhmm how much are you feeding him, we said a small tin a day, the vet says feed him 7/8 ths of the tin instead. he got a stethoscope out and listened to his heart, we never asked for this, we said thank you and left the room, we went to reception and asked if there was a charge, and oh boy yes there was 22 quid, 22 quid for a vet to say nope its a wart !!!!.

im disgusted.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You were charged a fairly standard consultation fee. Vets are a business and not necessarily a very profitable one. If you break down your 22 quid for a ten minute appointment into business rates, running costs, staff wages etc. there probably isn't that much left over to go into the pocket of the expert.

Hi Jack1966

I agree with you the prices are a lot.

I took Hattie to the vet on Saturday morning - she suffers with really mucky ears and although I clean them regularly, sometimes I can tell she needs drops as she is constantly shaking her head. The consutation fee was £23.50 (it lasted 3 minutes) and the drops cost £15. She's fine now (until the next time!!:()

Although I work I don't get paid until next week so I paid by cheque as I had no money (which will now cost me double with bank charges).

Cassie x

Are those drops a prescription item or just something the vet happens to sell? There's no need to pay that consultation fee if you can buy the same product OTC. Have you checked? If you make an appointment to consult a vet then it's going to cost.

I'm a fan of Thornit ear powder for dogs. I too went years paying out money for recurrent ear problems in a dog. Never had a problem since I discovered Thornit.

Hello hightail

Thanks for your response.

I don't quite know if they're prescription only - everytime I have a problem with my dog I take her to the vet, probably very niaive (or stupid:(. These were given to me at the surgery when I came out of the consultation. They are called "EASOTIC". Her ear is better now (she didn't have a tic) and they are only good for 10 days after opening, so I can't keep them for future use.

Cassie x

Yeah that is a POM-V product. If you Google Thornit you'll see it's very cheap, lasts for months and you'll probably never need to pay the vet again for ear problems. I put a pinch in my dog's ears - well when I remember to be honest and have not had a problem in years.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If it's the first time you've the vet then £22 is a fairly average charge, as it covers the admin and gets the pet registered on their systems. We have two kittens that weren't given the best of starts and when we took them in they had a bit of an infection. Only one of them (Blaze) showed symptoms at first and the bill for the initial consultation, 2 jabs and some eye drops was £30.86 (including £24 for 'consultation' as well as a massive charge of 3p for one jab!!!! :D). We then had to take them both in a few days later (as advised by the vet) to make sure the ill one was responding and the second one (Sphynx) was OK, and even though it was Sphynx's first visit they only charged us £14.05 which included another jab for Blaze and some drops for Sphynx. We were suprised, but got told that the higher price on the first visit was down to the initial registering and consultation.

I think people get surprised at the prices vets charge, mainly because we have the NHS for us and we just assume it's 'free'. If you had to pay for your medical treatment, you'd see that vets fees are actually quite reasonable.

Wow, YOUR vet charges are great !! I feel we end up paying more than further up north here the same as we pay more for everything.....under the assumptions we earn more when sadly some of us don't !!!

I'd not be complaining if I paid your prices !!

Cheers,

Lynda ~:shock:

Something worth checking is whether your vet allows you to pay in installments. Some vets allow this, especially if people are on benefits and can prove it. Some also have a scheme where you can pay in small increments for any vaccinations that are required in future. These are definitely worth it because you're not getting hit with a massive bill all at once.

Also, if you're on a low income check to see if there is a PDSA in your area. They don't charge a set fee, but a donation of whatever you can afford. They're also a registered charity and will gladly accept donations whether you use their services or not.

• 1 month later...
one of the few places left where you do not have a clue how much you are paying until the very end

Don't be shy of asking up front. When you have a pet needing treatment you don't want to look as if money matters but vets are obliged to give you the approximate cost of a course of treatment in advance. A shot of antibiotic is a course of treatment and you are entitled to know so ask. Amazingly, when you do start to discuss costs with your vet you may find that alternatives are mentioned. If you make it clear that you don't want to pay for any extras without knowing the guaranteed benefits you'll find your vet being slightly more circumspect in the treatment they suggest. They won't hate you for it, they'll respect you more.

• 4 months later...

We've been having an ever-escalating argument with our vet about repeat prescriptions for our dog with an under-active thyroid. We've had blood tests every year or two (she's now 6 years old) and the dosage of her medication hasn't fluctuated for years, but now the vet is insisting that it's a "legal requirement" that her bloods are checked every 6 months (at over a £100 a time!).

Then there's the argument over the cost of her meds: the vet charges about 3 times as much as they are available for on the Internet, so we pay the vet over £10 for printing out a bit of paper with a signature (it's called a prescription), so we can get the meds online!

Now our other dog has an infection and needs a prescription antibiotic: we were charged £1.90 per tablet, when online they're available for 45p.

I know the old chestnut about vets' overheads compared to the Internet, etc., but surely they make enough money from their fees and charges, without adding a 400% mark-up on meds that they insist our pets need.

We're so fed up with our vet's increasing profiteering, we've investigated paying the PDSA for our pets' treatment, but we don't qualify...

Your vet does have to check your dog every six months. Annoying but true. When I pop into mine for something like prescription wormers I pick up loads but they put it under the name of whichever cat they have seen within the last 6 months for forms sake.

When it comes down to it vets are private medicine so will always be expensive. They charge less than a private GP and most of them have much more expensive kit in their surgeries. There's not much anyone can do about the price of consultations and one-off prescriptions I'm afraid. Vigilance is the key for everything else they try.

Your vet does have to check your dog every six months.

Says who? If it is a 'legal requirement' (as my vet is now claiming) when was the law changed (because we never used to need 6 monthly blood tests)?

I suspect there's just been a re-reading of the drug companies' recommendations and an opportunity for more profiteering by all involved (the vets, the drug companies and the testing labs).

I'd compromise on an annual check-up but this new insistence on a 6 monthly blood test (the results of which I never see and which in any case never vary) is just a money-making exercise for all involved (except me).

EDIT:

Just found this from the RCVS (nothing about 6 months!):

Frequency of re-examinations

Before prescribing a POM-V medicine, a veterinary surgeon must have the animal in

question ‘under his or her care’ and have made a ‘clinical assessment’. This requires a

veterinary surgeon to see or examine an animal, or to have seen or have examined an

animal recently enough to have the animal ‘under his or her care’.

9) The RCVS provides an interpretation of ‘under his or her care’ which forms the legal basis

for the frequency of consultations. On the basis of this interpretation, the frequency of

re-examination is a professional decision for the veterinary surgeon.

Under his care

5. The Veterinary Medicines Regulations do not define the phrase 'under his care' and

the RCVS has interpreted it as meaning that:

a. the veterinary surgeon must have been given the responsibility for the health

of the animal or herd by the owner or the owner's agent

b. that responsibility must be real and not nominal

c. the animal or herd must have been seen immediately before prescription or,

d. recently enough or often enough for the veterinary surgeon to have personal

knowledge of the condition of the animal or current health status of the

herd or flock to make a diagnosis and prescribe.

e. the veterinary surgeon must maintain clinical records of that

herd/flock/individual

What amounts to 'recent enough' must be a matter for the professional judgement

of the veterinary surgeon in the individual case.

(RCVS Guide to Professional Conduct, Part 2H)

10)Due to numerous variables (for example, condition, age, weight, medicine,

species/breed), how often an animal should be seen or examined will depend on the

specific circumstances of each individual case and is a matter for the professional

judgment of the veterinary surgeon. This is a professional decision, made in the best

interests of the animal and should not be made on commercial grounds.

Edited by Johnny Blue

The blood test may only be a recommendation but I'm fairly sure you'll not find any vet prepared to prescribe for more than six months without seeing the animal.

the results of which I never see and which in any case never vary

Ask for it! You are entitled to see it - you paid for it. I've once had a junior vet first refuse to give me a copy of results then told me I'd have to pay £1.50 for a copy. Two days later when my SAR dropped through their letterbox the senior vet phoned me and apologised for the 'mistaken actions of a new colleague'. My £10 cheque and the paperwork I wanted was (by agreement) through my letterbox the next day :-)

As I so reasonably pointed out, it was a matter of simple economics. £1.50 for one sheet of paper against a tenner for everything. As I'd had a number of animals registered with them for quite a few years plus many litters of kittens vaccinated at that surgery the SAR was simply better value :-)

As I so reasonably pointed out, it was a matter of simple economics. £1.50 for one sheet of paper against a tenner for everything. As I'd had a number of animals registered with them for quite a few years plus many litters of kittens vaccinated at that surgery the SAR was simply better value :-)

Tried following your link about "subject access request", but it doesn't lead to the letter to which you refer.

I was told by a vet I used to use that their meds are more expensive because they HAVE to get theirs from approved suppliers only and they are limited.

I don't understand that about because they're private they're more pricey because private prescriptions in human cases are usually way cheaper than a standard prescription charge of £7+ and you only pay what the meds are worth instead of the standard NHS charge.

Lynda~