• Tweets

• Hi everyone. We purchased a new bed from dreams 26/12/2017 which was delivered 01/02/2018.  We also purchased their delivery, assembly, take the old one away, tv, mattress, mattress protector, pillows and their 'bed cover' 8 years extended warranty.  We paid by 30 monthly interest free instalments and so just made the final payment.   It is a heavy duty king size lift up storage bed with a built in tv at the end.  It has always been a struggle to lift, my wife cannot do it on her own and it rarely stays up by itself.   At the beginning of this year, we noticed it had started to dip considerably in the middle.  Not the mattress, but the wooden base the mattress is on.  So on 09/02/2020 I emailed them about the issue.  They started by saying the mattress is not covered only the base, until I pointed out it is the base at fault not the mattress.  So they sent out Homeserve on the 25/02/2020 to come and repair.  He did what he called a temporary repair, said that the bed had failed due to a manufacturing or design fault (the metal bolts holding the wooden base to the lift up supports have pulled out of the wood) and that dreams would be in touch to arrange a replacement.  His temporary repair barely lasted a day, the bed was still dipping and he took plenty of photos for himself but seemed in a mad rush to leave.   Of course they didn't contact us, so on 30/03/2020 I emailed them back.  01/04/2020 they emailed back confirming in writing that it is a manufacturing fault and their sales team would contact me, however as expected due to Covid-19 this may take a while.   30/06/2020 I asked for an update.  03/07/2020 they replied saying their claims department would contact me within 5 working days.  They didn't. 15/07/2020 I emailed back asking them to escalate my complaint as well as providing a refund and compensation as we are now struggling to sleep and experiencing back ache due to the bed's extreme dipping, plus I am worried about the mattress getting damaged. 23/07/2020 They replied saying we are not entitled to a refund as it is a guarantee claim and they have passed it once again this time to their guarantee company to contact us. I have still not heard back.   This is now getting beyond a joke and I wanted some guidance on how I should proceed.  We are struggling to sleep in the bed and cannot now even open the bed to access our belongings inside as as soon as you try and lift you hear the sound of breaking wood.   Many thanks  
    • bit obv really... don't eat yellow snow either.   dx  
    • I know you are trivialising this as, 'Ambulance Chasing Lawyers', because they are perceived to be involved. You mention BMW (other brands as well). Counterfeit car and truck parts have been implicated, and proven to be the cause, of accidents where fatalities have occurred.   There is some considerable difference between a set of counterfeit brake pads and a fake SD Card.   The trademark infringement though, is the same.   H
    • One hope in this growing mess is that local authorities, mainly in the north west so far, like Liverpool, are developing their own systems to test and trace, filling in the gaps of what Serco et al are missing.   But they're doing it with precious little in the way of funding. In the meantime it looks as if Serco [I think it's them] will be given more hundreds of millions on top of the £100 million that hasn't been effective so far in a couple of weeks. Given that the PM has swanned off to Scotland for a couple of weeks this isn't looking good.
    • i've known 10yrs of DD's to be refunded. the company must prove a valid contract for the period. no proof the DD's all get refunded   dx  
  • Our picks

• Curry’s cancelled my order but took the money anyway. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423055-curry%E2%80%99s-cancelled-my-order-but-took-the-money-anyway/
      • 11 replies
    • Father passed away - Ardent Credit Services (Vodafone) now claiming he owes money. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/423040-father-passed-away-ardent-credit-services-vodafone-now-claiming-he-owes-money/
      • 9 replies
    • Currys Refuse Refund F/Freezer 5day old. Read more at https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/422656-currys-refuse-refund-ffreezer-5day-old/
      • 6 replies
    • Hi,  
      I was in Sainsbury’s today and did scan and shop.
      I arrived in after a busy day at work and immediately got distracted by the clothes.

I put a few things in my trolley and then did a shop.
      I paid and was about to get into my car when the security guard stopped me and asked me to come back in.

I did and they took me upstairs.
      I was mortified and said I forgot to scan the clothes and a conditioner, 5 items.
      I know its unacceptable but I was distracted and Initially hadn’t really planned to use scan and shop.

No excuse.
      I offered to pay for the goods but the manager said it was too late.
      He looked at the CCTV and because I didn’t try to scan the items he was phoning the police.

The cost of the items was about £40.
      I was crying at this point and told them I was a nurse, just coming from work and I could get struck off.

They rang the police anyway and they came and issued me with a community resolution notice, which goes off my record in a year.
      I feel terrible. I have to declare this to my employer and NMC.

They kept me in a room on my own with 4 staff and have banned me from all stores.
      The police said if I didn’t do the community order I would go to court and they would refer me to the PPS.

I’m so stressed,
      can u appeal this or should I just accept it?

Thanks for reading 
      • 16 replies
style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3681 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the site, but stumbled across it whilst searching for information on Rossendales bailiffs.

Basically, this is my situation.........

I currently have Rossendales trying to chase me for a housing benefit overpayment, and council tax arrears.

Firstly, about the housing benefit overpayment.

This debt is from a good 4 years ago now, and they are trying to pursue me for it now. When I first received the letter from them with reference to this, the first thing I did was make an appointment with my local CAB. Over the course of the past few months, I have had no joy, and the debt still hasn't been sorted.

After receiving my first letter back from my CAB advisor, that wasn't very helpful, I did a bit of ringing around, which involved ringing the council. I spoke to the same lady twice, on two different days about this, and she was very helpful, and she basically told me that the housing benefit overpayment was paid directly to my landlord at the time, and not myself, so this therefore makes him liable for it and not me.

After receiving another letter from rossendales today (1st July) threatening that they were going to send the bailiffs round, I rang them back and told them for about the 5th time, that I am not liable for the debt, my landlord of the time is, as the money was paid directly to them...... They seemed to think that because the claim was in my name, regardless of wether or not I directly received the money, I am still liable for the overpayment. However, there were two of us living at the adress at the time, and I am almost sure we were both on the claim, so as the lady at the CAB said, that makes us both liable.

The council claim it was because I was not in receipt of benefits at the time that led to the overpayment occuring. They would have only received this information from the DWP, and I have already proved that they have been wrong in saying when I was and wasn't receiving benefits. This is pretty much the same story for the council tax debt, that I supposedly wasn't receiving benefits, therefore was not eligible for council tax benefit either.

I have asked my CAB Advisor to write back to the council to tell them the above information, and the DWP to look back at their records, to get the matter settled once and for all. I have since received a reply from the council saying that they are adamant I wasn't on benefits at the time of the overpayment, and it is out of the maximum allowed time for appeal, so I have to pay it.

Don't get me wrong, I am willing to pay the debt if I owe it, especially something like this, as no matter where I go, and I am on benefits, they will always catch up with me. I just don't think it is fair that either (a) they are not prepared to transfer the debt to the person who actually owes it to them, ie my ex landlord, or (b) they are not preapred to split the debt between me and my partner that I was living with at the time, as we effectively are both liable for it.

My current situation is that I am still currently unemployed, and living with a new partner, and we have a 3 month old baby to look after now, so can't really afford any extra outgoings, let alone the stress and hassle of it all, oh and we are also on a joint benefit claim, which is in my partners name.

ps, do I set my German Shepard on the bailiff when and if he comes round, like I said I would on the phone? or was it a bad idea telling them that over the phone like my partner said it was incase they record any calls?

Any help would be much appreciated before I start writing letters to the bailiffs and council etc, to try and offer a repyment plan, if there is actually any money owed.

Thanks Guys.

have the council got a liability order and what does the say?

very unusual for the rossers to be chasing HB debt unless it has been to court as well

something fishy here

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s would collapse overnight.

Firstly am so sorry your dealing with these animals to as am i secondly send a letter to the council asking them to send you some prrof that the payment for the housing benifit was paid to the landlord so there for you are not the one owing on that debt

your council tax however is diffrent can i just ask which council this is as diffrent councils seem to have diffrent guidelines for the way there bailiffs work and i wouldnt go with the german shep thing i did just that last monday went to let my dog thro from kitchen at a bailiff from rossendals and ended up in handcuffs lol

vicki, the council concerned, is North Somerset. They have confirmed to me twice on the phone that the money was paid directly to the landlord, therefore I do not owe the money. Rossendales however seem to think that because I was the one claiming the money at the time, I owe it, although I did not directly receive it.

dx100, as far as I am aware, there is no liability order from the court saying that I owe this money, they are just trying to chase me for it. I was not aware that there has to be a liability order for hb overpayments aswell before they can try to recover the debt.

Also, it is not just myself that owes the money, as there was 2 of us living at the address at the time, and I have managed to obtain a copy of the tenancy agreement showing this. My adviser at the CAB said that would make us both jointly liable for the debt.

They have not tried contacting me with reference to the council tax arrears lately, as I believe they have been returned to the council, and are now subject to a court hearing, so I have to wait and see if I am placed with a liability order for them.

I will write to the council asking them to send me proof that the money was paid directly to my landlord of the time, although I am not sure if this will make any difference, because as i mentioned above, rossendales still seem to think that I am liable for the debt anyway, so I don't see what proving to them that I am not would actually achieve.

This whole mess has really been caused by people within the DWP, and the council not doing their jobs properly. If they had bothered to look at their records properly, they would see that I probably was in receipt of benefits at the time, therefore, I do not owe the money at all.

The whole situation is beginning to get me down a little bit now, as no matter what I try and do, or who I go to for help, it is still ongoing, and looks like it is a long way off being resolved, and I am at a wits end, and don't know what else to do, hence why I have come on to this forum, to try and ask other peoples advice.

I hope with help from peolpe on here, whoever you may be that I can finally find a solution to this problem, and get on with my life, without threatening phonecalls or letters everyday.

Regards

rosser are BAILIFFS, they must have a COURT ORDER to chase you.

ask for it.

something fishy here.

dx

You have 2 issues here:

Housing Benefit Overpayment - if as you say Rossendales are chasing for this ask to see the CCJ that was awarded to the Council - this would be done through the County Court. Also have a read of this:

Housing Benefits overpayments

Council Tax Arrears - done through the Magistrates Court by the Council where a Liability Order is issued against you - think this is more likely what Rossendales are chasing.

PT

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

plodderton,

I have recently spoken to Rossendales, and they claim they do not need a court order in order to chase this debt.

However, as of today (12th July) I think I may have the problem sorted, as I have received proof from The DWP that I was actually in receipt of benefits at the time of the overpayment, so this would therefore not make me liable for the debt.

what debt CT or HB?

dx