Call Out Charge, Price Per Hour

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5038 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I don't know if I have posted this in the right place but feel free to move it if necessary.

I needed my stairlift looking at because it was stopping at intervals going up the stairs. I turned the switch off and then on again and then it would go up a little bit more and then stop.

I telephoned a repair company up to ask them what their charges for an engineer to visit would be. The gentleman in the office said approx £40 per hour, so I said that was fine and arranged a couple of days later for an engineer to visit, he was on a job in the morning and was to visit my house in the afternoon.

He arrived at 1.20pm and left at 2.00pm (40 minutes) - he gave me a sheet of paper to sign that said the hourly rate had increased to £58 per hour + call out charge of £28.50 fair enough.

He cleaned the track with a Dettol wet wipe and rubbed the inside of the track with sandpaper and that was it, then left. I only let my carers clean the track with a damp cloth myself.

I have just received the bill today, on it he has charged the call out fee of £28.50 but on the hourly rate he has put down £58.00 for 4 hours. Never once did anybody mention travelling time. I don't know what to think. The final bill is £260.50.

Is this correct and I just have to pay?

I haven't got a problem with the call out charge or the hourly rate, but nobody told me that they would include travelling time in the hourly rate.

Well just spoken with them I was very polite and explained that nobody had told me about the travelling costs. I told them I knew about the hourly rate and also the call out fee but was not told about the travelling costs.

So the job to use a dettol wet wipe and sand paper on my stairlift cost as follows:

£28.50 Call out charge

40 minutes (max in the house) = £58 per hour labour

£28.50 + £58 = £86.50

left on bill £174.00 to pay - (88 miles around trip, checked on mulitmap 1hr 10 minutes each way) = £1.97 per mile

I have worked it out 44 miles each way between my house and their company £174 @ £1.97 per mile!

What a farce

Thanks

I would just pay the bill as per the piece of paper you signed and no more. If it don't say anything anywhere about travelling, there aint none.

Would you like to pm me the name of the company and then I can look some things up?

They cannot expect to be paid the same amount for travelling as they do for repairing. Even if explicity mentioned. it invalidates the call out charge, as you;d be paing for the call out, and the travelling time - so they get two bites of the cherry. They could opt for one OR the other (probably the most profitable( but in your situation I write q quick note enclosing a ckeque for the call out fee and the hours/time actually worked, saying they;ve probably missed that they've charged twice for travelling (callout) and labour. For good measure, say that your cheque is in full and final settlement of their account.

If they're really being greedy, cash it and then come back - you're covered.

You have definately made me feel a lot better there! I was worried because I wondered if I was in the wrong.

I will write out a cheque and give it to one of the carers to post because my husband is away for the next 2 weeks and I can't get out of the house on my own with the electric wheelchair.

I was worried in case it caused a bad credit mark against me.

I just hope that they do not come knocking at the front door causing trouble as I am mostly on my own with carers coming and going.

the tradesmans fee as a norm these days is £65 an hour

THAT INCLUDES ANY CALL OUT CHARGE

ANYTHING OVER THE FIRST HOUR WILL BE CHARGED AGAIN WITH ANY PARTS FITTED

IF THE CRETIN WAS OINLY INN YOUR HOUSE FOR AN HOUR, THE MAX WOULD BE £65 POUNDS

the tradesmans fee as a norm these days is £65 an hour

THAT INCLUDES ANY CALL OUT CHARGE

ANYTHING OVER THE FIRST HOUR WILL BE CHARGED AGAIN WITH ANY PARTS FITTED

IF THE CRETIN WAS OINLY INN YOUR HOUSE FOR AN HOUR, THE MAX WOULD BE £65 POUNDS

Actually he was only in the house for 40 minutes, 15 minutes to do the job and the rest talking.

All He Will Be Entitled To Charge Then Would Be For The First Hour

Thats It

I Would Phone Your Local Trading Standards On This Lot

I did do in Scotland, but they weren't much help, man on the phone said they can charge what they like. I don't know if it is diffent in England.

Rogue Traders Come To Mind

Tell Me

On The Invoice, Is There Pluss Vat

Is There A Vat Registration Number

Hello,

There is a VAT number on the sheet but I don't pay VAT because I am disabled, no VAT was added to bill but they did send an excemption certificate. So if you were not disabled the VAT would have been added to the bill making it even more expensive.

To Begin With, Phone Trading Standards In The Town/city Where This Company Is Based For Advice

This Is Appaling Charging For Milage

Never Heard Of Such A Thing Unless You Are A Taxi/courier

i am a tradesman........... the call out fee covers ur travelling time and if your there 30 mins you charge the hr.......... ie £45 call plus [30mins] hourly rate of £35 total job £80. whoever it is there ripping the ass out of it.... in one word complain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

when i use to work on call out a customer would ring and id say £45 call out £35 per hour no vat ... forcash a small bit off £10 ..... dont tell the taxman oopss.................... and had very happy customers .... back to the post tell them to sod offf!!!!!!!!

Hiya,

Just checked the bank and the cheque I sent on Thursday night has come out of my account. The company has not been in touch either by phone or letter.

Once they have cashed the cheque is that it finished with?

Thanks

Insofar as you paid their demand, yes. Ideally you could use your non payment as a start to negotiation. Now they do not have to.

Your only recourse is to ask for a refund, and if this is refused court action to reclaim the amount unjustly overcharged, and let a judge decide!

Hiya,

This is what I sent:

£28.50 - Call Out Fee

£58.00 per hour - 40 minutes repair work

Total: £86.50

I note that you have mistakenly charged me twice for travelling (callout) plus labour.

Please find enclosed a cheque for £86.50 in full and final settlement of the account.

I think that by them cashing the cheque they have accepted that the original bill of £260 was wrong.

Is that correct?