Virgin Media - Repaying a bill

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5046 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Can some advise me here regarding a problems paying an old balance with Virgin Media.

I had a VM account back in 2007 which was an internet, telephone and TV package all for £60 per month. Everything was going ok for 8 months until I actually lost my job and there was a squeeze on my finances. I ended up defaulting on the account and it was sent to two DCAs (Westcot and Credit Security). I have actually tried to arrange payment plans with both the DCA's however they have never wanted to know, they seem more interested in making empty threats to me rather than actually allowing me to repay the balance. The last contact with the DCA was back in April 2009.

Recently, VM sent me a standard mailer offering a great deal to return to to then which I actually tried to take, the order was never completed as the internal systems at Virgin flagged up that I had an outstanding balance that needed paying and I need to pay it in full first which I was unable to do.

So, I spoke to customer service who basically said that there was nothing they could do however I could escalate the problem is I wanted to which I did. in the end, I emailed Neil Berketts office saying that I had an old account which I wanted to start a payment plan towards as I had the intention of reconnecting back to VM. He replied saying that his office would look at it for me and that was followed by an email from Heather Robinson who was really polite but basically said that she could not offer any form of payment plan towards the outstanding balance and they I would need to speak to the DCA. When I replied back say that the DCA's didnt want to know she again said that she was unable to help me and there was nothing Virgin could do.

Basically, I cannot repay my debt to anyone?

What can I do?

Can anyone offer me any advise here or do I just take it that Virgin have written off the balance but not allowing me to be a customer again as thats how it feels?

P.S I have not had any contact with any DCA about this since April 2009.

They're entitled to refuse applications from customers, and if your credit file shows the default, it would be unlikely they would accept you back as a customer. Firms are not set up for 'payment plans', and are not financial institutions - you consumer the services and pay for them on a monthly basis, anything else is non-standard and promising to pay off a debt whilst entering into a new contract is not popular with them.

Your credit file has been no doubt flagged as having the default, if you tried to pay it off and they refused, then I'd move on where I might be welcomed, but payment plans don't really cut it, firms need the money asap, and will sell on the debt to make anything back on it they can

Edited by buzby