• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Swift Advances Brentwood

9656mg
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4893 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi this is my first time here.

I have just had to sell my house to pay swift before they reposess.

I borrowed £50,000 from them and have paid back £15,000,

my settlement figure is £66,000.

I have to pay as it is a secured loan but was wondering if any one knows if i can reclaim any money back as it sems criminal the amount they are charging me.

Any help gratefully received

Hi 9656mg:)

Welcome to Cag!

Sorry to hear of your problems with Swift.

There are are unfortunately plenty of other Swift victims here (including myself) who will be able to offer support and advice with your situation. I will ask a member of the site team to move your thread to the Swift forum where more people with relevant experience should see it.

Landy x

LTSB PPI on various loans (current/settled) - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 1 Charges - Refunded inc CI

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Charges - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Accident Ins - Refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage Charges -Partially refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage PPI - Refunded inc CI & 8%

Sainsburys (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI +8%

Sainsburys (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI + 8%

M&S Money (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI

M&S Money (closed) Card PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Direct Line (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI + 8%

Debenhams Card (closed) PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Swift Mortgage Charges -Refunded

Hitachi Finance (closed) Charges - Refunded

Moved to Swift Forum

Many thanks Cerberusalert :)

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Sorry ignore my other post - use this thread 9656 to reply!

Gosh SJ - you're super quick.........I just posted a reply to your response on the other thread asking if you would be so kind as to pop over here and take a look, but you've beaten me to it ;)

Right 9656mg - when you can if you could post your agreement here on this thread with all personal identifying details edited out, we can take a look for you and see what's what.

I have to admit the Swift forum is a bit quiet at the moment what with good weather, Wimbledon and many folk having pressing issues with having to keep Swift off their backs, but Sweetjane has had recent success on both the charges and PPI fronts against Swift/her broker and I have also had limited success with a PPI complaint re: Swift against my broker and we will do what we can to help!

Do you know if you had PPI (Payment Protection Insurance) on your Swift loan/mortgage? If so this will be easier to reclaim than the charges, as most PPI sold in conjunction with a mortgage or secure loan turns out to be mis-sold. If you have a read of the 'stickies' at the top of the PPI forum here on Cag you will get an idea of the reasons why it may have been mis-sold and the steps involved to reclaim it............but now I'm getting ahead of myself :p

Whether for PPI or charges, there is plenty of reading to be done to get as au fait with the reclaiming process, so a good idea is to read other peoples' threads and try to take on board as much info as you can - it's a lot of reading, but we've all had to do it!

Good Luck and shout if you need a hand with anything,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Thanks so much.

They def do have secured loan and i cant avoid paying but hope to reclaim with a no win no pay company if anyone has any recommendations.

Cant find original agreement but figures are as in writing on the settlement they have just sent to me.

I am very bitter as i cannot get another mortgage due to arrears on Swift as well as mortgage and am having to find rented accomodation.

Thanks so much.

They def do have secured loan and i cant avoid paying but hope to reclaim with a no win no pay company if anyone has any recommendations.

Cant find original agreement but figures are as in writing on the settlement they have just sent to me.

I am very bitter as i cannot get another mortgage due to arrears on Swift as well as mortgage and am having to find rented accomodation.

Hi 9656mg:)

So you haven't yet settled with Swift? If you were to work out how much they had applied in the way of charges it may be possible to negotiate them down on their settlement costs, although I'm not experienced in this I'm sure I've seen it suggested somewhere on the forum.

As for using a claims company - this is not recommended on Cag as these firms tend to be unscrupulous types who only have their own interests at heart and you should be able to do the same yourself without having to hand over a percentage at the end of the day.

There are many stories here on the forum whereby people have paid money to these claims companies only to either never hear from them again or else have their complaints conveniently dropped when the firm realises the fight they have to get your money back. Remember these firms are taking on masses of complaints and their only motivation is the financial reward they hope to gain, whereas to us it's the whole idea of getting retribution (and our money back) which drives us onwards. Whilst we appreciate that many people don't have the time or know-how to do it themselves, we were most of us also in that position once and with the help of more experienced Caggers many of us have had a degree of success which brings satisfaction and is it's own reward.

Sorry I don't mean that to sound harsh, but wouldn't want you to be ripped off even further by trusting your complaint to an ambulance chaser :eek:

If you don't have all your paperwork you should consider sending a Data Subject Access Request to Swift - this will cost you £10 and should provide you with all the info they hold on you (the data subject). There are templates for this in the Cag templates library.

If you need any further help just shout!

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Thanks so much it all seems so hard but perhaps if i show this to my conveyancing solicitor he may be able to take the action required before settling.

I cant afford for it to delay or i may lose the sale and both Swift and also my mortgage company are threatening repossession although the mortgage company have been far more lenient.

The recession has killed me my income has plummeted by £1000 PER MONTH and so these shortfalls were somewhat inevitable.

I will keep you informed should i make any progress.

Thanks so much it all seems so hard but perhaps if i show this to my conveyancing solicitor he may be able to take the action required before settling.

I cant afford for it to delay or i may lose the sale and both Swift and also my mortgage company are threatening repossession although the mortgage company have been far more lenient.

The recession has killed me my income has plummeted by £1000 PER MONTH and so these shortfalls were somewhat inevitable.

I will keep you informed should i make any progress.

So sorry to hear that 9656mg, but I can sympathise totally as we too went through something similar, but that was before I discovered Cag unfortunately. We did come out ok the other side though, so it is possible :)

You have the backing of Cag now and we are a very supportive lot!

Hopefully your conveyancing solicitor will be able to advise and do something to prevent Swift eating into the money from your house sale with their extortionate charges.

Do keep us posted as to how things progress.

All the best,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Hi 9656mg

I would definitely get your conveyancing solicitor involved - try and find the original agreement for him/her to look at. Just flag up with the solicitor the concerns voiced here about Swift. Did Swift attempt re-possession because the original agreements are usually copied with the repossession docs for court?

I'm sure you are up to your eyes in it but it would be great for you and all of us if you could send a brief outline of your story to the OFT. Email it to [email protected]; & [email protected] asap. They are investigating second charge loans and are keen to hear evidence from consumers. Basically just tell them the figures and what you've posted here. Make sure the OFT know the amount SWIFT are demanding. Best of luck. SJ x

Have emailed both at oft now and will keep you informed of any progress

Excellent 9656mg - the more of us that report them to the OFT dedicated team, the better ;)

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

1 week passed and no reply from oft yet not even acknowlegement of my email.

Is this standard or is it possible email has not reached david blocksidge ?

Anyone know.

Hi 9656

The OFT won't get involved in your individual case but David Blocksidge and co are carrying out a major investigation into second charge lending - your evidence will be used in this respect. You do have to continue your own battle I'm afraid to seek refunds on charges etc. Did you ask your conveyancing solicitor to get involved? Did you find your original agreement - if not, send SwIFT A Subject Access Request - they will have to send you a copy of everything. Send them a letter clearly marked COMPLAINT querying the high balance, charges etc and start the complaints procedure - going to the Financial Ombudsman if necessary - do this with the help of your conveyancing solicitor if necessary because I really don't think you should pay Swift that high balance without contesting it. Believe me they will have to reduce the balance, I don't see how they can justify that level of costs.

All the best

SJ

I am a little concerned that if i rock the boat now before sale completes they may be awkward in some way and any delay could jepordise sale which i just cannot afford.

Maybe best to start action after sale has been completed and Swift paid

• 3 months later...

Hi this is the first time i have used a forum however, i used to work for swift and would like to unveil some errors they have which may benefit you as the EDIT absoultly screwed me over and would like to help you all firstly: there are some accounts named analysis code 6 ask a member of staff there if anybody ask to speak to a gentleman called EDIT. this analysis code means that the loan has a discrepancy and is not secured to your property even though they protray it is. once you have found out if this applies to your account you could stop paying altogether and they would be unable to reposses your property. Secondly: if your debt to value meaning your house is worth less than your debt this also means that if no payments are received regardless of any threatening letter you may receive they again are unable to reposses. thirdly: all calls are recorded so if you feel as though something a member of staff has said to you was out of line or a lie jot the time date and staff members name down you can then speak to a manager names include EDIT, EDIT and EDIT (i recommend you do not speak to as she has no idea what she is talking about). Any questions about the company the way its run or any other tips just ask :)

Edited by 42man