Help! Barclays Red letter

Mozz1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4999 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi gang. This is my first foray into the banking forum. I need some guidance on how to respond to Barclays.

Today I received a red letter saying that I have exceeded my agreed overdraft limit by -£1000. My o/d limit is zero by the way, £0.

I have been using this Reserve thingy for a couple of years now, which acts as a default overdraft and I get charged (from memory) £22 a week for using it. Anyway, as long as I have stayed within my reserve the bank have left me alone, as I regularly go to the -£1000 mark.

Laqst month the bank took £128 in charges for a mix of reserve and bounced direct debits etc. This tipped me over the reserve limit and has triggered the red letter. They are asking for the full £1000 back which I cannot pay. No indication they have cancelled the reserve yet but I guess that's a question of time.

Any suggestions as to how I should respond to Barclays to get them off my back at this difficult time? I cannot afford to lose the reserve and I cannot repay the £1000. I should add that my salary goes into the account each month without fail and for about 3 days it is in credit before plummeting back to the reserve limit by month's end each time.

Mozzone

Taking on the bloodsuckers

okay, I'm clearly not going to get any advice with this thread...

I'll write to the bank anyway and hope they don't cancel the reserve. If they do I guess I can at least, perhaps, challenge them to repay the charges as I never asked for a reserve in the first place!

Mozzone

Mozz1

Someone will respond, give it until tomorrow morning then click the triangle on the left. A member of the site team will respond. I think in this situation it might be an idea to book an appointment and speak to the bank manager face to face. Their responses are computer generated, try the human touch.

Hi Reb. Thanks for the advice. It gets kinda embarrassing being declined to your face each time you ask them; human they may be but they still tap away at a computer that decides for 'em and my credit ratings down the tubes bro.

Thanks for the tip about the triangle; I dint know that was what its for. Cheers for that, appreciated.

Mozzone

That triangle on the left says This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) post

Figure if I click on that to get site team's attention they'll get p*ssed off

Mozzone

It's fine to get assistance that way, trust me, :)

Just blame me.

That triangle on the left says This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) post

Figure if I click on that to get site team's attention they'll get p*ssed off

Hi Mozz,

Please be patient as folks are not around as much in the day but we tend to catch up with posts in the evenings.

Trouble is, if Barclays are ready to pull the rug from under your feet, your salary will go in and clear your debt but they will then NOT allow you to take money out or pay DD's, SO's, etc.

So you run the risk of having virtually nothing to see you through the month.

For this reason, you should try your very best to discuss the matter in your branch and come to a mutually acceptable arrangement which will enable to reduce your o/d over a number of months.

If they are not willing to help you with this, you will have to open an a/c elsewhere and have your salary paid into the new a/c where Barclays can't grab it. They won't be happy about this but it's the only way you can retain control of your money.

Once you have your salary paid to a non-Barclays a/c, you can then set about repaying them over a number of months, whether they like it or not.

:)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Slick, that's very good advice. Thanks. I will wait and see what they do about the reserve 'cos I figure they'll cancel that. If they do I will use an alternative account. In the meantime I will o in and see 'em but I've done this many times before and have been told "computer says no"

Mozzone

If you already have another a/c and Barclays don't agree to help you immediately, get your salary credited to the new a/c asap.

:)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

• 3 weeks later...