cat c but not registered with DVLA or logbook

demsi
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5037 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi can anyone help me please, so confused passed my test 3yr went and bought a car privately it was just under 2yrs old when purchased it. touch wood had no problems with it had 3 mots and 3 services with a growing family decided to trade it in for bigger car, and to my surprise was told that my car is a cat c, i didnt believe that this could be true nothing stated on logbook so called DVLA and was told 100% that my car was not cat c and never been in smash. was told by credit checkers to contact my insurance my insurers said yes that my car is a cat c, it had happend when my car was a yr old. could cry have cried dont know where to turn nxt thing is it was actually the same insurance that i am with that made the pay out to person who owned it when in smash. the worrying thing is 2 that because my car did not require a mot until 3yrs old, i have no details of if car has been checked or repaired by a reputable garage if its had vic test etc which i feel could not have being DVLA are telling me its not true and nothing on log book confused can someone please help with thanks:sad:

Hi can anyone help me please, so confused passed my test 3yr went and bought a car privately it was just under 2yrs old when purchased it. touch wood had no problems with it had 3 mots and 3 services with a growing family decided to trade it in for bigger car, and to my surprise was told that my car is a cat c, i didnt believe that this could be true nothing stated on logbook so called DVLA and was told 100% that my car was not cat c and never been in smash. was told by credit checkers to contact my insurance my insurers said yes that my car is a cat c, it had happend when my car was a yr old. could cry have cried dont know where to turn nxt thing is it was actually the same insurance that i am with that made the pay out to person who owned it when in smash. the worrying thing is 2 that because my car did not require a mot until 3yrs old, i have no details of if car has been checked or repaired by a reputable garage if its had vic test etc which i feel could not have being DVLA are telling me its not true and nothing on log book confused can someone please help with thanks:sad:

Hi.

Your post is a trifle confusing.

Are you saying you've owned the vehicle for three years?

The garage who are taking it in part exchange will still take the car won't they?

What is it you require help with?

It looks like 3 years ago he bought a 2 year old car so it is now 5 years old.

The thing to do here is because you are still covered by the sale of goods act, is to find the true value of your car and then attempt a part exchange with the same dealer you bought it from.

If they should say that it's a cat c, ask them how much you will lose in the trade in because of this and then claim that amount from them.

You don't have to complete a purchase with this dealer, you are trying to find out if he is reducing the trade-in price because it is a cat c. You can then challenge him that they didn't inform you that it was a cat c when you purchased and that you will be claiming the difference in value.

Hi.

Your post is a trifle confusing.

Are you saying you've owned the vehicle for three years?

The garage who are taking it in part exchange will still take the car won't they?

What is it you require help with?

yes had car 4 3yrs without knowing, decided wanted to sell car 4 bigger car seen a car i liked at local car sales place asked them what they would offer me in part ex and that is when they told me it was a cat c. I previously had car up for sale privately b4 I knew and I would lose with offer the garage has given me £2000 to what I was asking. I need help with what rights do I have being that dvla are telling me its not registered as ever being in a accident. there is nothing on my log book to suggest this 2 who do i believe the credit checkers or dvla?

It looks like 3 years ago he bought a 2 year old car so it is now 5 years old.

The thing to do here is because you are still covered by the sale of goods act, is to find the true value of your car and then attempt a part exchange with the same dealer you bought it from.

If they should say that it's a cat c, ask them how much you will lose in the trade in because of this and then claim that amount from them.

You don't have to complete a purchase with this dealer, you are trying to find out if he is reducing the trade-in price because it is a cat c. You can then challenge him that they didn't inform you that it was a cat c when you purchased and that you will be claiming the difference in value.

Yes I purchased car when it was just under 2yrs old and now its 5yrs old. I didnt buy car from dealer bought privately, what I cant understand that if my car is a cat c and was in a accident b4 i purchased it. why does dvla no nothing of it? after reading on many pages it seems if ur car is in a smash and said to be cat c the log book is sent bk 2 insurance b4 payout and the insurance send it to dvla the car would then require a mot and vic test, when i purchased car there was nothing 2 suggest there was any problem with car logbook as it should b only that there was no service done but it didnt require mot until 3yrs old which i had 1st 2nd and 3rd done which passed all 3 including 2 interim and 1 full service without any1 quering that my car could b a cat c, that is why im so confused and dont no where 2 turn?

Do as I said earlier and go back to the seller you bought it for and make believe you want to buy a car from him by part exchanging this one and see if he mentions that it is Cat C and then you will know that he must have or should have known this when he sold it to you and we can take it from there.

Look at something about the same as you have seen at the other dealer and when he gives you the partex price etc you can tell him you will talk it over with your wife and come back so you can then leave without commitment.

Suppose 1 still cant believe ive been driving round in a cat c car and knew nothing of it? then 101 questions in my head 2 why this has happend and slipped through the net actually dont know how it could. why wasnt i informed by either insurance my insurance is actually very cheap considering i only past 3yrs ago where people say if cat c your insurance is high or would find it difficult to get insurance, again had none of that, dvla dont know nothing of this, why when they should of had log book why is car bk on road without dvla knowing inspecting car? what rights if any have i got? could i lose all my money I paid 4 car (actually have no money 2 replace car growing family) when part exing car was just hoping 2 put xtra couple of hundred not thousands. going to phone a solicitor 2day 2 c where i stand, and may try part exing again at a garage. need 2 know if i need 2 tell them it is a cat c people keep saying i have no proof it is dvla saying its not, but im a honest person and being told by insurance and credit checkers that it is cat c feel if i sell car without informing buyer/garage its not cat c its not me. but then do i just lose all my money which i cant afford 2. I wont drive car, since i found out 2 days ago its sat on drive, may seem silly but have no trust in it especially that i have 3 children that i cant believe ive had in car 4 3yrs driving them here and there, ive borrowed car from family member and just hope can get this situation sorted asap. thanks 4 comments added and if anyone else has any ideas please feel free to comment with thanks

Hi.

I'm having trouble reading your posts with that texting stuff. Not all of us here are under twenty five. Perhaps if you made your posts more clear others would be more willing to help.

I would suggest you HPI the vehicle yourself, so that you know it's a Cat C and not a Cat D. However you will find not all Cat Cs from five years ago are noted on the V5c.

I would also suggest that by you buying the vehicle privately you have no recourse with the seller, unless when purchasing you specifically asked the vendor if the vehicle had ever been written off. There is no onus on the seller to divulge that information unless asked by the purchaser.

It would appear the vehicle was repaired to a professional standard and has given you trouble free service and was never in a dangerous condition. I would suggest you continue to use it until you find a replacement.

I am not aware that an insurance company HPIs vehicles when you apply for cover. They probably are unaware that the vehicle is a total loss. True they may have paid out on it in the past, but I would imagine that would be of no concern to them.

However, if I am reading you correctly (txt spk no good) I do feel the garage who is taking the vehicle in part ex is, to put it bluntly, shafting you. They will in all probability send the vehicle to auction where they will be obliged to declare the vehicle as a total loss. Depending on the make, model and condition of the vehicle it is unlikely to devalue the car in auction by two thousand pounds. A normal small hatchback on an 05 plate would probably make between five hundred to eight hundred pounds less. Sometimes it will make hardly any difference if the vehicle has been repaired well and shows no signs of previous damage.

I suggest you shop around and see what other garages are willing to offer you. You may as well be upfront and inform them it's a write off because they will HPI the vehicle before completing the transaction.

Edited by gwc1000
spelling

My previous car was written off by the insurance company. Believe it or not, one of the reasons they wrote it off was that the wheels had been stolen, and to shove 4 new alloy wheels on, and tyres, would have added £2000 to the total repair bill. It also had broken windows, some damage to the rear bumpers, and some damage to the brake lines underneath.

Nothing unrepairable, but it was cheaper for the insurer to total it as giving me the cheque got rid of me, no more courtesy car, nobody insisting that they wanted proper, expensive parts, wheels that were the same as the original, etc.

I am sure that car was not crushed, it could have been fixed for less than its value, and really, there was nothing seriously wrong - it will have made someone a reliable, good car, despite the insurers decision to just pay out and get rid of me. That seems to happening a lot, from what I hear the insurers work on the idea that repairs that cost over half the total value are not worth doing.

Sorry - forget my posts where I say go back to the seller to part ex, I missed the bit where it said 'private'.

That of course changes thing immensely, you will have not recourse to the seller and should do as GWC says and shop around to see the best deal you can get. You could, of course, sell it privately yourself to see if you can get a better price.

To be honest, if you've had three years trouble free motoring from the vehicle and there is no evidence that the vehicle has ever been unroadworthy due to it's previous damage there is hardly the basis for an argument that you have been sold a "dodgy motor".

It could be argued had you known at the point of purchase the vehicle's status you may have chosen not to buy the car, but to be truthful you should always ask the vendor of any vehicle, private or trade, whether the vehicle has ever been subject to being an insurance total loss. And of course before handing over any money HPI the vehicle yourself.

But, it appears the car has actually done what you wanted it to do, and given you no trouble, up to now that is.

You could 'phone your local auction and explain you wish to sell the vehicle and ask them in their opinion how much they would expect it to make and the cost of them selling it. Choose a national auction with many branches around the country. They cost more, but the cars make more. Often they will do a deal on the commission but only if you ask. Small independent auctions normally produce poor results.

If the dealer offers 2000 prior to knowing about the Cat c then he will offer less with knowing, some auctions might get a reasonable return but thats up to you. The car of that age is not forced to have the cat c recorded on the log book as it would have been issued before or possible the insurance company did not notify DVLA at the time.

I find ebay a good place to get rid of these cars as people will buy anything just make sure that you list it as cat C according to HPI but not on the logbook and poss try as a buy it now not auction. I normally get trade or more.

Thank you to everyone for your help/advice, hope I wont need anymore my father has decided to purchase a brand new car and part ex mine, and I will recieve his, fingers crossed we can get a decent price on it. thanks again Demsi

p.s I am a lady and wish was only in my 20s learnt text wrighting off my teenagers ha

I am pleased that you appear to have found a soloution to your problem. Try to negotiate with the dealer to obtain the best posible price for yourself.

p.s I am a lady

I don't doubt it. I never once said you weren't

and wish was only in my 20s

I bet you don't really. I'm sure you are pleased you were in your twenties when you were.;)

learnt text wrighting off my teenagers ha

What do kids know? When they're your age they will have moved on to something else.:)

My previous car was written off by the insurance company. Believe it or not, one of the reasons they wrote it off was that the wheels had been stolen, and to shove 4 new alloy wheels on, and tyres, would have added £2000 to the total repair bill. It also had broken windows, some damage to the rear bumpers, and some damage to the brake lines underneath.

Nothing unrepairable, but it was cheaper for the insurer to total it as giving me the cheque got rid of me, no more courtesy car, nobody insisting that they wanted proper, expensive parts, wheels that were the same as the original, etc.

I am sure that car was not crushed, it could have been fixed for less than its value, and really, there was nothing seriously wrong - it will have made someone a reliable, good car, despite the insurers decision to just pay out and get rid of me. That seems to happening a lot, from what I hear the insurers work on the idea that repairs that cost over half the total value are not worth doing.

Yes these insurance companies need a kick up the backside to be polite, I have contacted my union solicitor just to see where I stand, he said that I have got a case against insurance, would 1st have to use the complaints procedure through insurance for compensation upon loss of value of my car and if that doesnt work could take them to a small claims court, which to be honest could take twelve months or more and without time on my side and money looks like insurance will get away with it yet again. didnt ask solicitor if still could make claim if car is sold think I will ask that question because I hate the fact that insurance companies can do this to people and get away scot free.

Hi all, still got my car, garages offered silly prices again less than half the market value. so I am going to try sell it privately informing purchasers that the car is cat c even though by all accounts dont have to unless asked. Im an honest person and what that man has done to me by selling me a cat c car, I could not do to someone else, fingers crossed I will only lose hundreds not thousands. well its learnt me a lesson and im sure I wont fall for that one again. to anyone reading this get a good check done (experian) before ever purchasing a second hand car.

Sorry was not you that thought I was a man, 2nd thing yes I would love to be in my 20s again because what I can remember I didnt have a care in the world at that age ha 3rd dont underestimate these teenagers they know more than we think, only learned there txt language/wrighting to spy make sure they wasnt doing anything they should not be, and it stuck quicker way to write ha

To be honest, if you've had three years trouble free motoring from the vehicle and there is no evidence that the vehicle has ever been unroadworthy due to it's previous damage there is hardly the basis for an argument that you have been sold a "dodgy motor".

It could be argued had you known at the point of purchase the vehicle's status you may have chosen not to buy the car, but to be truthful you should always ask the vendor of any vehicle, private or trade, whether the vehicle has ever been subject to being an insurance total loss. And of course before handing over any money HPI the vehicle yourself.

But, it appears the car has actually done what you wanted it to do, and given you no trouble, up to now that is.

You could 'phone your local auction and explain you wish to sell the vehicle and ask them in their opinion how much they would expect it to make and the cost of them selling it. Choose a national auction with many branches around the country. They cost more, but the cars make more. Often they will do a deal on the commission but only if you ask. Small independent auctions normally produce poor results.

We did actually ask, reason being there was some scratches on the inside of the drivers door my partner said to him this hasnt been in a smash as it. the reply that was given that his wife opened it n a high curb and when went to close door got it caught, at time and I suppose with rose coloured glasses being my first car it was believable. my uncle going to try sell it as cat c for me at auction if doesnt sell privately, im goin to give it a week or so and see how it goes, thank you for advice.

Hi all, still got my car, garages offered silly prices again less than half the market value. so I am going to try sell it privately informing purchasers that the car is cat c even though by all accounts dont have to unless asked. Im an honest person and what that man has done to me by selling me a cat c car, I could not do to someone else, fingers crossed I will only lose hundreds not thousands. well its learnt me a lesson and im sure I wont fall for that one again. to anyone reading this get a good check done (experian) before ever purchasing a second hand car.

Hi.

I agree with you, for your own peace of mind it is best to inform any purchaser of the vehicle's history. If the vehicle has been repaired correctly (which it does appear so) there is no reason why it shouldn't give anybody another few years of reliable service.

We send vehicles to auction on a weekly basis and in my experience if the car looks right the fact that it's a total loss doesn't make a great deal of difference to the price. Sometimes it makes no difference at all. So the garages that have offered you less than half the market value have been a tad cruel I would say. Mind you you may have an unrealistic vision of what the market value is.:)

Hi.

I agree with you, for your own peace of mind it is best to inform any purchaser of the vehicle's history. If the vehicle has been repaired correctly (which it does appear so) there is no reason why it shouldn't give anybody another few years of reliable service.

We send vehicles to auction on a weekly basis and in my experience if the car looks right the fact that it's a total loss doesn't make a great deal of difference to the price. Sometimes it makes no difference at all. So the garages that have offered you less than half the market value have been a tad cruel I would say. Mind you you may have an unrealistic vision of what the market value is.:)

The car has been a reliable little car never had a problem with it, to me it drives like a new car, my partner agrees and he has had many cars. no was actually very reasonable with my price being that the car has very low milage and is in excellent clean condition, checked what others were asking for same car and most if not all was asking same price with either high milage or even older plus I put on a full mot/service and tax. but obviously I did this last week before I found out my car was Cat c, as said was expecting few hundred upto 5 or 7 but not thousands thats the shock, told by garage they dont like taking cat cs because they have to go to auction thats why they was only offering me such a low price, over the worst now, having dads car and will just pay him back when sell mine. think at 1st the shock of finding out and the loss of money was hard to take when I had previously had so much faith in my car, but when I watched a program other night about people losing £65000+ on apartments in dubai, it makes me look silly, suppose no matter how old we get were still learning new things ha thanks for ur help

Make sure you tell the customer about

any problems or other issues with the

vehicle, for example, previous insurance

write off/accident history, 'MOT Advisory'

items, unrectified faults, discrepancies in the

service history/mileage, ex-business use

vehicle which may have had multiple users,

grey import.

There is a good post here by ukaviator - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/vehicle-retailers-manufacturers/266161-oft-publishes-new-guidance.html

The thing to do now is to check if this was indeed a private seller or if he is just pretending to be, then you could ask him to compensate you.

I will, well tell them all I know, the insurance told me there was minimal damage just panel damage from front to back of drivers side, including drivers side door and half a bumper that was the damage which we found strange being car classes as cat c, we thought panel damage would of been classed as a cat d what we have read. I got a print out from a garage we tried to part ex with yesterday which gives 4 pages about car including cat c which states car was extensively damaged but repairable- insurance decided not to repair.

There is a good post here by ukaviator - http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/vehicle-retailers-manufacturers/266161-oft-publishes-new-guidance.html

The thing to do now is to check if this was indeed a private seller or if he is just pretending to be, then you could ask him to compensate you.

[/left]

how would I find that out? I have his name and address. I thought that because looks like he purchased car from salvage yard, the car had 2 previous owners the 1st owner had it exactly 1yr when the car was involved in accident by all accounts what been told by insurance the people were paid out and car sent to salvage yard, now the payout was only half the value of the car at that time which I also found strange. 2 months after accident the 2nd person purchases this car which insurance think from salvage and then I purchased car 8mths later. the person I purchased car from told me that his friend had sold him the car for his wife due to his friend coming into some money and buying a better car, and reason for him selling it because his wife doesnt use it and being left to stand. what I feel is either the 1st people were given half payout and car back had work done and sold it to 2nd people, or the second people did buy from salvage and got work done and sold it to me, but then why didnt the 1st or 2nd owner ever report this to Dvla and my self. its so confusing tried getting my head around all information but could be many things, as you said if the 2nd person did buy my car from salvage do it up and sell it to me im sure its not the 1st time hes done this, but its finding out, How?:confused:

how would I find that out? I have his name and address.

You have his name and address and hopefully his telephone number. Scour the pages of ebay and Autotrader looking for the same seller.