Guest wino

Using iphone abroad

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3688 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Guest wino

Hi all,

Off on my jollies at the weekend and I am a bit worried about the cost of using my iphone abroad.

I have had a google and all I can find is to switch of the data roaming option. Mine is switched to off all the time anyway.

Apparently I should be able to access the tintaweb free if in a wifi area.

Can anyone confirm if this is all I have to do or should I not check e-mails, facebook etc

have you checked the roaming rates from your network operator?

Roaming can cause some really large bills, if it was me I'd leave it off.

Guest wino

Thanks for the reply Human Writes.

Yes I am leaving it off.

I just want to make sure that is all I have to do.

Don't want any suprises on my next bill that is all.

I know I will pay to receive and send texts and phone calls. I am just a bit concerned about using say 'google maps' or checking my e-mail accounts if I am in a wifi area.

Wifi is fine providing you don't use the internet on your phone. Just a suggestion, but if you get hold of a PAYG sim and insert that whenever you're going on the internet with your phone, you cannot run up any bills on your phone (as a safety measure)

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

When you switch off data whilst abroad then this will stop your iphone running up a large data bill. However, many people have told me that the iPhone likes to switch data abroad back on automatically when you've finished using Wifi, or when you receive a photo message! All reports seem to suggest that the iPhone does alert you to the fact that it's switching this service back on.

In a nutshell, using Wifi abroad will not run you up any mobile data costs, but do be aware of if the phone has decided to alter its settings once you've finished with the wifi.

Guest wino

Thanks for the replies. I think I will go and get a PAYG sim to be on the safe side. My friend forgot to switch her data roaming off and got an £80 bill for usage for 1 week in Spain.:(

Here's a little light reading for you :p

BBC News - Bill limits for EU data roaming usage begins

Bit of good news there :)

(unless you are going further than the EU of course...)

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

to

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

C.A.G. Toolbar

Guest wino

Just been to town to collect my Euros and thought I would pop into the O2 shop and ask their advice just to be sure. I was told turn off data roaming and do not try to access the internet even through wifi as I will be charged! ????:confused:

You will not be charged for wifi. Wifi is a communication between your iPhone and the Wifi access point (in your hotel for example). It does not utilise your sim card or the mobile network.

You do get some fools working in call centers :roll: jacktheband is 100% correct that wifi doesn't use your sim or network. I still think using a PAYG sim whist using the WiFi is not a bad idea, even if using WiFi was just a 10% to turn the data on in the iphone, it can run up a big bill really quickly.

Also, with roaming charges being quite high, make sure you pin protect your phone at all times!

iPhone and iPad Wi-Fi + 3G: About the SIM PIN

to

C.A.G. Toolbar