First Car woes

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5039 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi my first post woo!,

I will try and keep my story short and simple! I'm in need of some advice regarding my car and the dealer!

I passed my test a few weeks ago and in all the euphoria I went ahead and bought a car (Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 2002) . I went with my cousin who was more experienced, we had atest drive all was well, tried a few features air con, windows all working fine. It has pretty much 12 months MOT and has been serviced recently. It also has a 1 Month Warranty starting from day of purchase 15th June. Only thing that we thought wasn't fine was the key Fob which would unlock but not lock the Car. This was due to the battery we were told which sounds right. Told to come back on the Saturday to get new battery installed as agreed on final payment and receipt.

I didn't bother driving the car from after the day of purchase (Tuesday) till the day to collect the battery and on the way I was going to Re fuel for the first time so wanted someone with me. Any ways I try to open the fuel cap at the safety of my home and find I cant unlock using the key. I take it to the dealer/garage who open it via a screwdriver tell me to fill it up and return so he could close it. Then asked to give the car during the week where they could fix the oil cap lock so it only required one key as normal. At that stage I found another issue which was that my key can only manually lock the car but not unlock. They said they would look at that too.

On the 25th June I went and delivered my car, again explaining my problem as they seemed very unprofessional in keeping track of what's happening. Apparently the Cap lock problem was fixed on the day which they then said its ok to pick up, but I then mentioned if car locks/battery issue was fixed they told me to call up and check up tomorrow. I did and was told it could be a worn key and said should be fixed by Tuesday (Today as of Post), I told them if it took a week I wouldn't mind . I call up today and they say that they haven't worked on it today as they thought I said I didn't mind a week which is true but surely they can give me an estimate to when it should be fixed?!

The previous times I called they assured me they would call back but they never once have and I have to do all the chasing. Am I doing this right or am I begin taken for a fool?

The warranty runs out on the 6th but surely they will keep it until they fix the key issue or lock?

I only have the one key as told originally, so am I right to expect that key to work without faults or as its a 2002 model to expect things like this to happen? An assistant there also said she had a second key with my Car Reg number stuck to it which she tried to open locks/ start engine with but it didn't work, which surely again made me think the place was very poor! I have heard good things about the place too!

For my first time car it feels like i'm being scammed when i'm probably just being paranoid and inexperienced in how these things work. I want some reassurance if there's something maybe I should be doing or should do if they still haven't fixed the car by the end of the week.

Thanks, any advice and help would be welcomed!

Welcome to the forum Anis. First thing is to forget about the warranty, it doesn't mean a lot and doesn't in any way reduce your consumer rights.

Your best bet here is to take a letter giving them until Friday to have the car fixed and ready for you. You should mention that your will be taking the car fixed or not and if the defects haven't been seen to, you will take it to the Ford dealer and send them the bill.

You could also mention that you expect your statutory rights and the warranty to begin when you pick up the car and not from the date of purchase.

Thanks for the reply Connif, I’m sorry I haven’t replied earlier as ive had a stressful day at work.

You give sound advice and appreciate it but do you think I should give them tomorrow(Friday) as agreed via phone to see if they have fixed it. I say that as they sound like they want to help but seem very slow to react to this issue. I guess its too late to make the request to either have it 100% fixed or get fixed elsewhere and send bill for Friday.

Can I still apply this if they haven’t fixed it tomorrow and set a new date for it to be fixed with what you advise? As they are a quite a bit away I was going to call to see what has happened as they keep saying they will call when done. What would you suggest is a good way to make my point across? Sorry if its a simple question but I am very weak at being firm in these situations and any help of what I can say to maybe be more assertive of what my rights are.

Can I over the phone make them aware of my intentions just like a letter and hold the same value?

Again thanks for your reply.

Yes, ring them tomorrow to see if the car is ready for you. I think it best now to wait until you have rung them and come back here with what they say and then we can go forward.

You will still be able to give them a deadline to repair later depending on what they have to say tomorrow.

I can tell you what all of your problems are caused by if you wish. The key youve been given only works in the ignition because the ignition has been replaced at some point. All ford keys will lock any ford car but not unlock it. THis explains why your key wouldnt work in the locks of fuel cap but only the ignition.

They need to get a correct ignition barrel sorted at ford that is matched to your the original car key or change the rest of the key barrels or you will need to use 2 keys if you need to operate the locks manually.

As an aside check this car is not a cat c or d write off by way of a HPI check

Sorry for delay as you will know why when I get to the end!

Well they called up today and said they fixed it all! So went to check up and sure enough they kept to thier word. Thanks for your help guys I do feel I would have kept at this if it wasn't resolved.

Intresting flub1976, they have HPI checked on all cars they buy and sell, I did ask for the report but forgot after all this fuss. I have received the key which looks like not much has been changed! The key does now correctly unlock too aswell as the the fob!

All great eh! ... Read on :(

Having had a few stresssful days I was excited when i received the car, drove home and what do I go and do! I turn in too short and scrape car against my wooden fence! not much comsetic damages but i then getting hot and bothered tried to reverse out and take out my left mirror. All my fault! Feels like such an Anti climax having just fixed one issue to needing another! Thankfully next door neighbours are very helpful and have a few mates who may fix for cheap.

Really affected my confidence too having only driven 3 times short distances to get the car to garages which I did pretty well with no confidence issues. I don't know what it was all I needed to do was take my time, and just think! But my brain didnt function! Only passed a few weeks ago so got to get out and get used to the car size!

Sorry to go off topic :( maybe something you can take pity or laugh :p at me.

Il definately keep posting and reading this forum to make a wiser person! I have some repayment issues regarding Sky which i might need some help on later :p on correct forum ofc.

Have a look in the scrappy for a new mirror, or if it's just the glass, Halfords has practically the full range and much cheaper than the main dealer.

It's nice that you can laugh at yourself though I expect that isn't what you felt like doing at the time. It's a good reminder that now you have your license you can start to learn to drive. Drivers who have held their license since Jesus was born have done exactly the same thing.

Anyway, well done on keeping this going and getting a result.

As for Sky - Ida from Fife is the expert there as she works for them so you will get good advice there, she is not biased in their favour.

Edited by Conniff

See not all used car dealers are so bad! Dont worry about an accident or two they happen and you learn from them. The mirrors for the focus are about £20 new from Andrew Pages or similar auto factors and the colour coded part will swap over.

Go out with your mates have a beer, laugh at yourself and enjoy motoring!!! A road trip to newquay with a tent and a case of beer at 17 did me the world of good.

Thanks for the comforting words, means alot! :)

Thank you both for info about mirrors means it shouldn't be as hard on the wallet as i thought it might.

flub1976 Yes you are correct there are garages out there who have it in thier best interest in helping customers and then those who are forced too due to rights.

I feel this garage did eventually live to my expectations of being honest guys, for those unexperienced or with less brain power e.g me can find these situations hard to deal with while others may have it under control and handle it better. I learnt from this thread that just warranty isn't all that! Will take that in mind for my next car, hopefully I don't kill this one anytime soon! If only cars had feelings mine would have had me put in jail for the pain it has already suffered :eek::eek:.

"As for Sky - Ida from Fife is the expert there as she works for them so you will get good advice there, she is not biased in their favour."

Thanks will welcome advice from someone with knowledge within!

"Go out with your mates have a beer, laugh at yourself and enjoy motoring!!! A road trip to newquay with a tent and a case of beer at 17 did me the world of good. "

Yes need to relax, work getting stressfull and this didn't help! Im sure i'l start to enjoy the car eventually! Sorry I seem to put alot of !!!

"But not all at the same time. :-)"

Great advice :p

Thanks again, have a nice weekend!