The bank is trying to circumvent the Direct Debit Guarantee

Bartok
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5017 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The Direct Debit Guarantee is:

· If the amounts to be paid or the payment dates change, the organisation collecting the payment will notify you normally 10 working days in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed

· If an error is made by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are guaranteed a full and immediate refund from your branch of the amount paid

· You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by contacting your bank or building society. We also recommend you notify the organisation concerned.

I took out breakdown cover last year and paid with a debit card. I thought this was a one off charge for a years cover.

I was contacted with a renewal letter but the terms of cover had been changed. The cover purchased is they recover my car back home if I breakdown. The renewal terms changed that to (something like) taking my car to neaest garage from where I break down and pay up to £100 onward train fare, £XXX's hotel accommodation, £XXX's for this & £XXX's for that plus up to seven passengers etc.etc.

This is not what I wanted, so I did not renew the policy. I started a new breakdown policy with another breakdown service.

The previous recovery service debited my bank account and I tried to reclaim it under the Direct Debit guarantee. The bank says this is not a Direct Debit and therefore the Direct Debit guarantee does not apply. This is not consistent with official advice: http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/27/27-directdebit-guarantee.htm

The breakdown service says I consented to automatic annual renewals. I am not sure if this is true because the terms of the policy were changed without permission, they cant show an authority to debit my card for another years cover and the premium had increased substantially. The original breakdown service says they will cancel the policy but will charge a cancellation fee similar to the unspent premiums of the original policy.

Whats the proper course of action?

Which bank? -

Which insurers too