How would I go about asking Smile/Co-Op to remove their account from my Credit File?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3967 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi guys, complicated one this is, so bear with me.

Opened a Smile student account in 2000 with an overdraft. Used it fine for three years through uni. Then, when I got employment in 2002 - got a new current account with a different bank and started to pay off Smile Overdraft and a small Smile Visa card using a debt management company (basically because I had a few other debts and I hated having to deal with banks in those days).

But this was a big mistake. The debt management co. basically paid the co-op £12 a month for years (the overdraft was originally something like £2000). All through this time the Co-Op regularly sent me letters and calls saying I hadn't paid them, despite the fact the Debt Management company had been.

Two years ago I got fed up of still being harassed by the Co-Op and decided to ditch my debt management company and handle things myself. And, I'm now two payments away from settling the debt.

However - my credit rating is destroyed because of the Co-Op. They have not defaulted me, but all through the time I was regularly making payment to them through the debt management company they've marked my account with many bad markers - ranging from AP (arrangement to pay) and '6' markers - meaning the account is delinquent.

I feel a little hard done by here as I have been paying them all this time - and if they'd closed the account and defaulted me all those years ago, I'd be free (or almost free) of the default and have a better credit file too.

Instead they've chosen to keep this account active for 8 years and really screw me.

What should I do? Any ideas? Obviously I need to do something before I settle the account in September as I feel I won't have any ammunition if I no longer owe them anything. Can I ask them to remove the account from my file once it's been settled?

All suggestions gratefully received!