Help with PC world anything happens insurance on laptop

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4920 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Dear All,

I bought a Dell laptop for £650 in April 2008 and have been paying £9.99 per month for the anything happens accidental damage cover.

I'm 6 months pregnant and fell whilst carrying the laptop from the car to the house and it landed on its side on the top of 2 concrete steps before falling onto the next then landing on the concrete driveway.

PC world are now saying after over 3 months of waiting for an answer that the damage is deemed excessive so they will not pay out. I wrote to disagree and included photos of the steps etc so that they could see that the damage fits with the accident. They sent it to an "independent" assessor who also says it's excessive.

My main issues is: the independent people did not see the computer, only photos from PC world and said that the damage was much worse than it actually is. They have no scientific basis for disagreeing with me and don't have details of things like my height, weight, the distance I fell etc so how can they say beyond all doubt that I did this deliberately and that the damage is excessive?

This is really stressing me out especially as they told me to keep paying the £9.99 per month for a computer that doesn't work in case it jeopardises my claim!!

I would appreciate any help please in knowing what to do next, thank you.

Dear All,

I bought a Dell laptop for £650 in April 2008 and have been paying £9.99 per month for the anything happens accidental damage cover.

I'm 6 months pregnant and fell whilst carrying the laptop from the car to the house and it landed on its side on the top of 2 concrete steps before falling onto the next then landing on the concrete driveway.

PC world are now saying after over 3 months of waiting for an answer that the damage is deemed excessive so they will not pay out. I wrote to disagree and included photos of the steps etc so that they could see that the damage fits with the accident. They sent it to an "independent" assessor who also says it's excessive.

My main issues is: the independent people did not see the computer, only photos from PC world and said that the damage was much worse than it actually is. They have no scientific basis for disagreeing with me and don't have details of things like my height, weight, the distance I fell etc so how can they say beyond all doubt that I did this deliberately and that the damage is excessive?

This is really stressing me out especially as they told me to keep paying the £9.99 per month for a computer that doesn't work in case it jeopardises my claim!!

I would appreciate any help please in knowing what to do next, thank you.

I'd start by asking them for copies of whatever evidence they have that would cause them to dismiss your claim. Along with a full and detailed description of what classes as "excessive damage". Should they refuse send a subject access request and force it out of them.

I'd start by asking them for copies of whatever evidence they have that would cause them to dismiss your claim. Along with a full and detailed description of what classes as "excessive damage". Should they refuse send a subject access request and force it out of them.

Thank you Renzokuken for your advice, I am doing this right now :)

PCW are 'expert' in finding reasons to dismiss genuine claims.

Does the policy refer to excessive damage being exempt from cover & if so can you quote the terms word for word ...........or as is often the case with PCW are they attempting to accuse you of causing the damage hence the term excessive

Edited by JonCris

PCW are 'expert' in finding reasons to dismiss genuine claims.

Does the policy refer to excessive damage being exempt from cover & if so can you quote the terms word for word ...........or as is often the case with PCW are they attempting to accuse you of causing the damage hence the term excessive

Thanks JonCris, yes they have said that the damage is "unexplained and damage caused by neglect, abuse or misuse is no covered in the service agreement". I have not been able to find anything in the small print about excessive damage so will try to get some info from them.

I think I would tell them staight out, this is accident cover and I had an accident which I have explained. To say it is neglect, abuse or misuse you are infering that I am a liar.

I would then give them 14 days in which to meet their obligation and if nothing, send them a letter before action.

I said the same thing to the DVLA over a sorn renewal and they dropped it right away.

There is a long thread on here from not so long ago about them and, as JC says, their attempts to make up or change the rules as they go along.

I think I would tell them staight out, this is accident cover and I had an accident which I have explained. To say it is neglect, abuse or misuse you are infering that I am a liar.

I would then give them 14 days in which to meet their obligation and if nothing, send them a letter before action.

I said the same thing to the DVLA over a sorn renewal and they dropped it right away.

There is a long thread on here from not so long ago about them and, as JC says, their attempts to make up or change the rules as they go along.

Thank you Conniff, that's pretty much exactly what I said in my last letter. They passed it to their "independent" assessors who rang me and said they still find the damage to be excessive! I am now waiting for this is writing before taking the next step.

Tell them that by their response they are inferring you are a liar an accusation which exposes them to an action for defamation which if forced you will bring alongside any claim for repair or replacement costs to the LP thereby adding considerable to the costs & damages of any compensation

.... they are inferring you are a liar ....

There is the confirmation, if you needed any, that the word 'liar' isn't a 4 letter word, it's one of the longest words in the dictionary and one that can frighten them, so use it.

im going to be very nosey here

may i ask what roughly the damage was to the laptop, and what model it was?

if i had to place a guess i would say its a dell 1545, and the hinges snapped + drop damage

if so you may be in luck, its a well regarded fact within some workshops that the dell computers have hinges where the screws drop out and can cause looseness of the hinges or the complete destuction of aforsaid hinges when the screws fall out

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello - I have been having the same problem with my son's laptop which I dropped down stairs. I have exchanged many letters and had the telephone 'interview' with their claims investigator and they maintained that teh damage to the laptop was excessive and that I had abused, missused or neglected the laptop. I wrote telling them that I would take action for replacement of the laptop and would consider a seperate action for defamation. I took out an action through the small claims court and have just heard from the court that they are, through their solicitors, contesting my claim! I requested all information that DSG had on my case, which cost my £10 and amongst the documents I received was a report from their claims investigator, which said that I seemed an honest person, who gave no indication that he was telling lies, but given my past history with DSG (I had a laptop replaced about 2 years ago as they could not repair it in time) he suggested they persue this claim to its conclusion. I am now awaiting documents from the court to presue the claim further.