Halifax questionable behaviour with transaction dates. Anybody noticed it ?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4947 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Has anybody noticed what the Halifax are doing ? They are showing debit card transaction a day later but showing as debited the day before ? For example Balance at

25/06/10 23.58 -79.99

26/06/10 02.10 -79.99

26/06/10 10.00 -101.99 But £21.00 debit shows as 25/06/10

Also when you look at internet banking during the day you get real time banking. Look at it after midnight and you will get the credits in first and then the debits. This in turn kicks off charges. Anybody had this problem or noticed it ?

So whats cooking today ?

I noticed in June 2009 and actually did screen shots everyday with timings. Halifax said there was nothing wrong with their online banking. The way they were applying transactions caused me to be charged £35, £35+£28.

There is still a complaint in with the FOS on this issue.

You will need to gather as much evidence as you can then send copies to the Halifax I am sure they won't do anything about it and tell you to go to the FOS.

Do go to the FOS, might help if you say to both the Halifax and FOS that you understand from Internet Forums that this has been drawn to your attention before, etc.

Also copy in the Office of Fair Trading as I also complained to them over this.

• 1 month later...

I questioned them about this. They said that the account is dealt with on the basis the transactions are made. For example, although money can be paid in and a direct debit come out on the same day, the DD can be presented at say, 2:35am and the payment in may not arrive until 5am and thus you get charged.

There's one bank that allows you (or used to, they may have changed it since) to clear the account by the end of the day and that the charges are only applied if the account is still overdrawn at 5pm or whenever.

Natwest and Llloyds both let you put money in the same day as a d/d comes out, as you say as long as the money is in before close of business that day.

I have now heard from the Ombudsman and they have not upheld my complaint despite sending screen shots, etc. Then I didn't really believe that they would, the only satisfaction I've got out of it is that it has cost the Halifax time and money.

I have been getting whacked by charges for this recently, basically i was told that Debits come off your account jsut after midnight and credits are paid in around 4 am thus leaving a 4 hour gap that you have no money!,

HOPELESS!

All lies. They told me the systems changed at 1.01 am. However, as I am not a good sleeper and I was up to the early hours I know exactly when the systems changed and if anyone wants to check it out its 3.00 am. When I was doing screen shots and I was expecting debits and credits I started at midnight and carried on until they changed the system, which takes approximately 30 minutes, and I couldn't believe some of things that happened with my account and which I actually sent to the FOS but they still say there is nothing untoward.

• 1 month later...

I have a account with abbey who do the same thing but if a debit shows on the 5th of the month it will show on that day not like the halifax which shows a debit for the 6th onthe 7th and charges you 2 days worth of overdrafts of £5 per day.

So whats cooking today ?

had a charge given to me for exceeding my overdraft on 6/10/10. I was online at 23.45 and made a faster payment in to account to stop any exceeding of the overdraft facility, also no payments had gone out on that day making the account clearly in line with my over draft facility. I re logged on 7 minutes after midnight i.e close of business, and once again no payments had gone out of the account only my payment in showing dated the 6/10/10. The next morning 5 transactions all showing the date 6/10/10 had gone out of the account, but because I had made a faster payment the account stayed within the agreed limit. Later in the day I received an email to explain I was to receive a charge for exceeding my o/d facilty. I phone up and explained this can not be correct but I was told that the system they are looking at says I requested a payment in to the account on the 6th, but it only arrived on the 7th causing me to be over my facility. after a slanging match for over an hour with 2 ladies in Rosyth the charge stood. However, I have phoned again today spoke to a chap in Leeds who agreed the charge should be reversed. They are robbers and frauds. The amount time i spent on the phone i lost all ways but i got something back.