• Tweets

• Hi welcome to the Forum.  If a PCN is sent out late ie after the 12th day of the alleged offence, the charge cannot then be transferred from the driver to the keeper.T he PCN is deemed to have arrived two days after dispatch so in your case, unless you can prove that Nexus sent the PCN several days after they claim you have very little chance of winning that argument. All is not lost since the majority of PCNs sent out are very poorly worded so that yet again the keeper is not liable to pay the charge, only the driver is now liable. If you post up the PCN, front and back we will be able to confirm whether it is compliant or not. Even if it is ok, there are lots of other reasons why it is not necessary to pay those rogues. 
    • Hi 1 Date of the infringement  arr 28/03/24 21:00, dep 29/03/24 01.27 2 Date on the NTK  08/04/2024 (Date of Issue) 3 Date received Monday 15/04/24 4 Does the NTK mention schedule 4 of The Protections of Freedoms Act 2012?  Yes 5 Is there any photographic evidence of the event? Yes 6 Have you appealed? [Y/N?] post up your appeal] No  7 Who is the parking company? GroupNexus 8. Where exactly [carpark name and town] Petrol Station Roadchef Tibshelf South DE55 5T 'operating in accordance with the BPA's Code of Practice' I received a Parking Charge letter to keeper on Monday 15/04/24, the 17th day after the alleged incident. My understanding is that this is outside the window for notifying. The issue date was 08/04/2024 which should have been in good time for it to have arrived within the notice period but in fact it actually arrived at lunchtime on the 15th. Do I have to prove when it arrived  (and if so how can I do that?) or is the onus on them to prove it was delivered in time? All I can find is that delivery is assumed to be on the second working day after issue which would have been Weds 10//04/24 but it was actually delivered 5 days later than that (thank you Royal Mail!). My husband was present when it arrived - is a family member witness considered sufficient proof?
    • lookinforinfo - many thanks for your reply. It would be very interesting to get the letter of discontinuance. The court receptionist said that the county court was in Gloucester 'today' so that makes me think that some days it is in Gloucester and some days its in Cheltenham, it was maybe changed by the courts and i was never informed, who knows if DCBL were or not. My costs were a gallon of petrol and £3.40 for parking. I certainly don't want to end up in court again that's for sure but never say never lol. Its utterly disgusting the way these crooks can legally treat motorists but that's the uk for you. I'm originally from Scotland so it's good that they are not enforceable there but they certainly still try to get money out of you. I have to admit i have lost count of the pcn's i have received in the last 2 yr and 4 months since coming to England for work, most of them stop bothering you on their own eventually, it was just this one that they took it all the way. Like i mentioned in my WS the the likes of Aldi and other companies can get them cancelled but Mcdonalds refused to help me despite me being a very good customer.   brassednecked - many thanks   honeybee - many thanks   nicky boy - many thanks    
    • Huh? This is nothing about paying just for what I use - I currently prefer the averaged monthly payment - else i wouldn't be in credit month after month - which I am comfortable with - else I wold simply request a part refund - which I  would have done if they hadn't reduced my monthly dd after the complaint I raised (handled slowly and rather badly) highlighted the errors in their systems (one of which they do seem to have fixed) Are you not aware DD is always potentially variable? ah well, look it up - but my deal is a supposed to average the payments over a year, and i dont expect them to change payments (up or down) without my informed agreement ESPECIALLY when I'm in credit over winter.   You are happy with your smart meter - jolly for you I dont want one, dont have to have one  - so wont   I have a box that tells me my electricity usage - was free donkeys years ago and shows me everything I need to know just like a smart meter but doesnt need a smart meter,  and i can manually set my charges - so as a side effect - would show me if the charges from the supplier were mismatched. Doesn't tell me if the meters actually calibrated correctly - but neither does your smart meter. That all relies on a label and the competence of the testers - and the competence of any remote fiddling with the settings. You seem happy with that - thats fine. I'm not.    
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

morris v halifax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6184 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OK I won't make any jokes or sarcastic comments :

The defence :

1. The Defendant is a Bank. The claimant has a current account .................... .

2. The Claimant appears to be claiming for bank charges applied to the current account in the last six years.

3. The Claimant has provided particulars stating that her claim relates to bank charges incurred on his Current Account, but the particulars fail to specify how much the Claimant is claiming in respect of actual charges. However, these charges were debited to the Current Account in accordance with with the terms and conditions of the Current Account, which the claimant agreed to accept and by which he is bound [goes on to state all circumstances under which they are allowed to debit charges].

4. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the Defendant has, without admission of liability refunded £1304.20 to the Current Account. This sum represents all the bank charges that the Claimant has incurred in the 6 years prior to the issue of proceedings, being £1004, together with interest of £180.20, and £120.00 in respect of the Court fee.

5. The remainder of the claim, £166.11 appears also to relate bank charges incurred, but the Claimant has failed to provide particulars of how this figure has been arrived at, and the figure is not supported by the Claimants account details.

6. On the basis of the matters pleaded above, the Defendant denies that it is liable to the Claimant for the sum of £166.11 in respect of the balance of his claim or for any other sum.

:rolleyes:

Morris v Halifax

Data Protection Act letter sent 20/6

Charge deducted from account 27/6

6 yrs statements received 25/8

Prelim sent 30/8 (£1014 charges + £156.11 interest).

Std reply & complaints leaflet received 5/9

Offer received £70 9/9

LBA sent 12/9

No reply to LBA - MCOL requested 26/9

Offer received 26/9 - £218.

MCOL issued 26/9, acknowledged 29/9

Offer 29/9 - full amount ex. o/draft interest

Accepted as partial

Credited to account 12/10

AQ sent for rest

Morris1 v Barclaycard

Prelim letter sent 31/8 (£60 charges + interest).

Standard reply 9/9

Offer 12/9 - full amount!! :smile:

Morris 2 v Barclaycard (Mrsbass!):

Data Protection Act letter sent 7/9

Standard reply received 19/9 inc statements 5/04 to date and microfiche bilge.

Prelim 20/9 £100+interest actual, +same estimated.

LBA 3/10

Partial offer £48 6/10

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i. The defendant is an arse.....the claimant wil rise victorious from the ashes of ......

ahem. sorry got carried away.

Nothing to worry about there then Neilbass, they seem to dispute that you ever paid interest on the portion of your balence purtaining to default charges.

Yeah right, sell that to a judge....

thought I'd leave it to other people!

Morris v Halifax

Offer received £70 9/9

LBA sent 12/9

Accepted as partial

AQ sent for rest

Morris1 v Barclaycard

Standard reply 9/9

LBA 3/10

Partial offer £48 6/10

Letter gone off to HBOS legal, copied to Court Manager, Wigan County Court.

Explaining very carefully exactly what the difference between the amount claimed and amount paid represents - basically its the debited overdraft interest, as detailed clearly on the Schedule of Charges they have had copies of several times now, and as supported clearly by the copy bank statements they kindly provided.

"In the interests of resolving this matter without either party incurring further court costs etc, and without unnecessarily taking up the court’s time, we would like to take the opportunity to make the following comments and proposal regarding the current situation.

[figures detailed here re the source of the outstanding amounts].

In the spirit of reconciliation, and in order to resolve this matter at the earliest opportunity, we will accept in full and final settlement of this claim the further sum of £160.53.

[this is the unpaid debited overdraft interest plus daily s69 interest to the date of the previous payment]

We trust this letter will clarify any previous misunderstanding or misinterpretation by Halifax plc regarding our claim.

We look forward to receiving your favourable response to this letter, in order that we can inform the court that an amicable settlement has been reached. Please do not hesitate to contact us as above, should you require any further clarification or explanation.

Yours faithfully"

I've also included copies of Schedule of Charges and Particulars of Claim.

Don't think I can do any more really? If they still want to go to court we'll see them there.

Morris v Halifax

Offer received £70 9/9

LBA sent 12/9

Accepted as partial

AQ sent for rest

Morris1 v Barclaycard

Standard reply 9/9

LBA 3/10

Partial offer £48 6/10

Nice one Neil....can't do anymore than poke them in the eye next... :)

Crash

DAY 1: 12/09 - S A R to British Gas

DAY 45: 27/10 - Data Non-Compliance sent off

DAY 67: 18/11 - N1 Deemed served

DAY 114: 03/01 - Judgment served £60 cheque rec'd; Prelim sent for overpayment refund of £393.06

24 Days: E2Save Settled in full £70

59 Days: Barclaycard claim Settled in full £134.39

162 Days: Halifax Settled in full £1543.80

179 Days: Barclays1 Settled in full £2450.45 + £447.02 in costs

254 Days: Barclays 2 Settled in full £1450.91

Advice & opinions offered are personal, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

and of course I'm posting back the AQ to the court also :-)

Morris v Halifax

Offer received £70 9/9

LBA sent 12/9

Accepted as partial

AQ sent for rest

Morris1 v Barclaycard

Standard reply 9/9

LBA 3/10

Partial offer £48 6/10

Hi Neilbass,

looks like we have the same problem - Halifax have agreed to pay the penalties back, and nominal 8% interest, but not the compound interest as per the advanced spreadsheet, and the 8% interest on that. We have 7 days to reply. We will be accepting the amount in part payment of the total, sending copies of our advanced spreadsheet with all the calculations on, carrying on with the court claim, and hoping for the best.

Any advice gratefully accepted!

WendyN

Hi WendyN - hope you're not in the same situation as us, as it does now seem to be dragging it all out.

I find it so frustrating as we've done nothing different to all the claims that have been paid out in full recently (and there's loads of them!).

The main part of their defence against the debited overdraft interest (as its this that they wont agree to) is that it is not supported by our Particulars of Claim, or by our Account statements.

Both of these points we can, and have, shown to be accurate - with both our Schedule of Charges and the original statements showing the interest being debited.

We are still awaiting a response.

My only advice is stick to your guns, as you say send them a very clear statement of your calculations, and continue with your claim.

Have they submitted a defence yet? Where are you up to in relation to the 28 days response time (assuming they've filed Acknowledgment of Service?).

And good luck!

Morris v Halifax

Offer received £70 9/9

LBA sent 12/9

Accepted as partial

AQ sent for rest

Morris1 v Barclaycard

Standard reply 9/9

LBA 3/10

Partial offer £48 6/10

Hello,

they have told MCOL that they will defend, but I think that's so that they can get the 28 days. Claim date was 23/10/06, so we have 13 days left, and 2 days left of their ultimatum. We will be accepting the money as a partial settlement today I think. We're sending the schedule of costs again, although they've had it before... :o)

I told them we would accept as partial, and explained then what the difference was. Next thing we had was the money in the account, and a letter saying thank you for accepting in full and final settlement!

Having the bulk of the money is wonderful of course - would just like it over with though.

Morris v Halifax

Offer received £70 9/9

LBA sent 12/9

Accepted as partial

AQ sent for rest

Morris1 v Barclaycard

Standard reply 9/9

LBA 3/10

Partial offer £48 6/10

• 2 weeks later...

Heard nothing since going down to court to submit our AQ on the 13th. Included a covering letter saying 'despite our best attempts to resolve the matter...etc... Halifax haven't replied to our letters re settlement....".

Deadline for AQ submission for us and Halifax was the 15th - anyone know what happens next?

Do we get a copy of their AQ?

Morris v Halifax

Offer received £70 9/9

LBA sent 12/9

Accepted as partial

AQ sent for rest

Morris1 v Barclaycard

Standard reply 9/9

LBA 3/10

Partial offer £48 6/10

Definitely small world - my dad's from Leigh.

Sat at work in Wigan as I type.....:o

Morris v Halifax

Offer received £70 9/9

LBA sent 12/9

Accepted as partial

AQ sent for rest

Morris1 v Barclaycard

Standard reply 9/9

LBA 3/10

Partial offer £48 6/10

Heard nothing - hand delivered ours on the 13th, deadline for return was the 15th.

Think I might nip down at lunchtime and see if they can tell me anything - were very helpful when I took the AQ in.

If HBOS haven't returned it do you know what happens? They've gone very quiet on me - havent replied to the last 3 or 4 letters I've sent.

Morris v Halifax

Offer received £70 9/9

LBA sent 12/9

Accepted as partial

AQ sent for rest

Morris1 v Barclaycard

Standard reply 9/9

LBA 3/10

Partial offer £48 6/10

I would expect that it works the same as not acknowledging in time and that you can file for judgement. I believe that you can ring and ask for an extension though......

Have you kept up to date with the Jonni2bad thread and case?

The implications for accepting partial settlement deserve some thought?

Yes been reading it - and I agree it does seem that once they've paid over the partial settlement they may then be prepared to go all the way over the remainder. I've also noticed other cases around the boards recently that make me think all the banks are having second thoughts about settling claims quickly. Barclays certainly seem very happy to take people all the way - over small amounts too. So yes - it may be worth people considering not accepting partial offers, especially as in Jonni2bads situation where there are also defaults (luckily we're not in that situation though).

In our case, by them crediting our account with the bulk of the claim, our account is no longer in the red and therefore incurring no more overdraft interest - which is a massive relief. And personally, I get even more relief that when we get paid our balance doesnt still have a minus in front of it anymore.

They do still seem to be just arguing over the numbers - and refusing to see that when they sent out the settlement letter they made a mistake.

Hopefully the judge will see that - after all I've set it out in letters so clearly that a child could see it.

Morris v Halifax

Offer received £70 9/9

LBA sent 12/9

Accepted as partial

AQ sent for rest

Morris1 v Barclaycard

Standard reply 9/9

LBA 3/10

Partial offer £48 6/10

Have you kept up to date with the Jonni2bad thread and case?

The implications for accepting partial settlement deserve some thought?

Just to clarify, as the reply above also does, that accepting partial settlements if your claim is ONLY for a refund of charges is not a problem, and in fact you should certainly attempt to obtain any funds you can as part of the claim process.

It MAY be a problem where there are separate issues (defaults or CCJs for instance) but this is possibly based on the issue of the Judge you face on the day..... In other words, better to be safe than sorry, you just never know what one you'll get.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

I understand that many of you have had the same problems as us - Halifax have refunded the charges and the 8% on the charges, but submitted a defence for the compound interest. Although, the defence seems to be that they 'don't understand' how we have calculated the figures. Glad we've got competent, numerate people working in our bank, at any rate... :o/

Anyway! So we need to respond to Halifax' so called defence, so this is our letter, for your perusal - does this sound OK?

Thanks

WendyN

"Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your letter dated 23/10/06. In the interests of resolving this matter without either party incurring further court costs etc, and without unnecessarily taking up the court’s time, I would like to take the opportunity to make the following comments and proposal regarding the current situation.

Halifax Plc state that they do not understand how the figures I have provided have been calculated. I have provided a schedule of charges to them on a number of occasions, and attach another copy to this letter. As stated on this schedule, I have been charged £---.-- in penalty charges in the last 6 years. These sums can be supported by the copy bank statements kindly provided by Halifax Plc. The removal of these charges from my account has cost me £---.-- in compound interest over the last 6 years, as shown on the schedule. I have then added 8% in statutory interest to these amounts. I am claiming this s69 interest only because Halifax Plc have forced me to raise a court claim by refusing to refund my charges earlier in the process.

Halifax Plc also state that they have paid me £---.-- to settle this claim. In actual fact, they made this offer in their letter dated --/--/--; which I only accepted as partial settlement of my claim in my letter dated --/--/--. Despite this, Halifax Plc paid this amount into my account on --/--/--.

In the spirit of reconciliation, and in order to resolve this matter at the earliest opportunity, I am happy to accept in full and final settlement of this claim the further sum of £---.--. This sum comprises the unpaid overdraft interest, plus the daily S69 interest to the date of the previous payment.

We trust this letter will clarify any previous misunderstanding or misinterpretation by Halifax plc regarding our claim.

We look forward to receiving your favourable response to this letter, in order that we can inform the court that an amicable settlement has been reached. Please do not hesitate to contact us as above, should you require any further clarification or explanation.

Yours faithfully"

Hi WendyN

Sounds very good to me - you are in exactly the same situation as us. I sent similar to them after we received their defence.

However I have had no response from the Halifax to our last 4 or 5 letters.

The only thing they have done is to submit their defence.

We are still awaiting a court date, having submitted our Allocation Questionnaire per the courts schedule.

Good luck!!

Morris v Halifax

Offer received £70 9/9

LBA sent 12/9

Accepted as partial

AQ sent for rest

Morris1 v Barclaycard

Standard reply 9/9

LBA 3/10

Partial offer £48 6/10